U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 PM

21,851 posts, read 12,778,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What about in suburban areas (that kinda look like North American exurbia) with all those houses on decent-sized wooded lots?
Underground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 PM

17,025 posts, read 20,672,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Underground.
That's quite impressive, as it's more expensive to do that in low density, wooded areas.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:28 PM

847 posts, read 1,164,187 times
In what categories would Austria, Hungary, and Czech Republic belong?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:51 AM

21,851 posts, read 12,778,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's quite impressive, as it's more expensive to do that in low density, wooded areas.
Some old suburbs have telephone lines and similar overground, but the new ones are underground.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:59 AM

17,025 posts, read 20,672,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Some old suburbs have telephone lines and similar overground, but the new ones are underground.

I was thinking more of areas like this, which you have a lot of.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Esp...559001!6m1!1e1

We have a lot of these too, and they basically all have overhead wires. Because the trees are often mixed in with the power lines, every time there is freezing rain or a strong thunderstorm, there are lots of power outages in these areas outside our cities.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:38 PM

10,462 posts, read 1,117,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Sure, in the slums of Italy (similar GDP (PPP) per capita as Israel) and France (where 90+% are Algerian/Moroccan/Tunisian/Ivorian/Senegalese/Congolese/Cameroonian/Malian/Guinean).

Quote:
How do you know? You walked in the slums of France?
guy sure knows what he's talking about.... oh yeah, NO

Old 02-03-2017, 10:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,219,754 times
Quote:
How do you know? You walked in the slums of France?

Japan does have overhead wiring but its not spaghetti-styled and its definitely not number 1 in that.
This is my largest regret about São Paulo. Spaghetti wiring is everywhere, even in the most upper-class districts. Only the inner city and some important avenues don't have them. The current mayor, in office since January, promised that he will bury most of cables. Now he is fighting strongly against graffiti, with a relative success.

The wires, however, are more difficult to manage. All the times when I went to Europe, when I came back I regretted a lot about how ugly is the city. But I have a friend who is electrical engineer, and she told me that the hot and humid climate and the soil of São Paulo makes underground cables difficult and expensive. The electricity bill would increase a lot, and since we are under an economic crisis, I don't really believe that his promise will be accomplished.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 02-03-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM

5,526 posts, read 8,778,865 times
There is a technical error happening for only this picture of Saigon Vietnam City Hall mystical night.
http://saigon-online.net/wp-content/...4/hcm-hall.jpg

Alternative resources collection for this image:

https://www.365travel.asia/images/to.../hall-town.jpg

http://elviajerodeoro.com/wp-content.../10/saigon.jpg

http://www.indochinatravel.com/count...ityhall250.jpg

Old 02-03-2017, 02:50 PM

5,526 posts, read 8,778,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
This is interesting.
I've heard that many people imagine Brazil a lot more poor than it is.
Ironic you say these sources of observation. Usually hearing the other version of information for ending up more wealthy than what is actually going on. People focus on the glamour in Brazil. There are middle class and wealthy Brazilians around to a significant amount. People have to learn the core essential service functioning origins of the economy over there rather than only the superficial. Outside of any slums not resembling the entire picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Mexico actually isn't as bad as it seems. Its actually officially an "upper income" country by world standards. The liberals in the US present it as a poor country to justify illegal immigration. I guess the Mexican elites are okay with maintaining this image so they can dump their poor across the border. Mexico is still a Third World country, but probably toward the top of the Third World.

I suspect Greece is even poorer than it comes across as. In my image Greece is more like Thailand or Puerto Rico than a typical European country.
Mexico is identical to Brazil for the entire trajectory of main events between the wealth vs. poor dynamics. Culture is vibrant, yet politics is overly corrupted. Heterogeneous diversity depending on the country area flow. News media sensationalism is establishing a delusional immigration summary. All of those illegal migrants are coming from all over the Central Americas: Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua. Not only Mexico.

Quote:
Less Rich than the visual image:
Japan
South Korea
New Zealand
South Africa
Ukraine

Richer than the visual image:
Equatorial Guinea
Gabon
Israel
Saudi Arabia
Brunei
Yeah, I agree with each of those examples with the sole exception of Saudi Arabia. Ambivalent for Israel. Maybe because of the tech savvy reputation of Israel usually not known to foreigners. These visual website links make Israel feel quite opulent with a stable atmosphere: https://media.gadventures.com/media-...be41e00284.jpg, http://images1.ynet.co.il/PicServer4...6995405/20.jpg
Tons of areas of Israel is not war torn, yet experiencing multiple personality phenomenon dramatic intervals.

Ugh, how disappointing Saudi Arabia is having this: http://thegpscoordinates.net/photos/...2tey44k337.jpg
Xenophobic laws won’t allow Non-Muslims To Visit!

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 02-03-2017 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 03:55 PM

5,497 posts, read 5,713,059 times
World debt clock: World Debt Clocks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World