U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:17 PM

5,526 posts, read 8,726,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
This is poor compared to some modernish buildings in Georgia. Forget it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
What looks poor there? I used to be in Echternach quite often and nothing looked poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Maybe he was being sarcastic. There are very few signs of apparent poverty in Luxembourg. Switzerland is also like this.
Luxembourg just doesn’t feel right on it’s own. Why the separation as a micro nation, and not entering the Netherlands, or Belgium complete Benelux federation. Objectively, not really about the pictures. They all look all right to very pleasant to the audience. Just expecting more for one of the wealthiest republics on this entire Planet. Usually placed at 2nd rank after Qatar above $100,000 average per capita rate. Surrounding nations of Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands are infinitely more impressive to me. Offering more to the tourists, visitors, and the residential. Luxembourg is jealous.

More relevant to lack of geographic size real authentic integrity for Luxembourg’s rights to exist, and outside of the pictures when thinking of the original intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
In Germany you can find a lot of graffiti/old buildings but not spaghetti electricity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Japan is like the No. 1 in terms of spaghetti electricity.
http://www.qilook.com/wp-content/upl...8440313339.jpg

Korea too.
https://66gkqq.bay.livefilestore.com...6/IMG_1159.JPG
Quote:
http://img3.cache.netease.com/photo/...5C1OQR0007.jpg

Well it's certainly one of the top ones if not No. 1.

Not that it's a bad thing. I think it's kinda cool.
Quote:
Its far above the ground, in South Asia and Southeast Asia its A LOT worse, you can even touch them...

Vietnam:

http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/image...ec82593f62.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...pybunnybun.jpg

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/5d3983fbf9...nam-e1wwa1.jpg
Quote:
Ok Japan can be the No. 1 in developed world in terms of spaghetti wires. Vietnam is really poor so it's not a fair comparison.

I still think it looks normal. Graffiti annoys me but it's not really a big deal either. You guys probably have a higher standard of architectural aesthetics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Overhead powerlines are on the increase here. Easier to repair after earthquakes.

What buildings with holes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Overhead power lines are BANNED here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
I think the presence of overhead power lines has a lot to do with seismicity. Seismic countries tend to have them because having them underground is troublesome.
Quote:
During the Kobe Earthquake the areas with utility poles had worse blackouts than areas with underground transmission, so it's not exactly better to have them. It is indeed easier to repair the wires above ground than underground when earthquakes strike though.

But the problem is that these countries (aka Japan and Taiwan) also get struck by typhoons all the time, which usually cause lots of damage to the overhead lines. However it's now just too much of a hassle to renew them all, especially in Japan where 85% of the electricity is transmitted by utility poles (Taiwan is like half half, Idk about Korea).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
We banned them simply for safety and aesthetic reasons. Overhead lines are only allowed in Helsinki tram routes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
This is my largest regret about São Paulo. Spaghetti wiring is everywhere, even in the most upper-class districts. Only the inner city and some important avenues don't have them. The current mayor, in office since January, promised that he will bury most of cables. Now he is fighting strongly against graffiti, with a relative success.

The wires, however, are more difficult to manage. All the times when I went to Europe, when I came back I regretted a lot about how ugly is the city. But I have a friend who is electrical engineer, and she told me that the hot and humid climate and the soil of São Paulo makes underground cables difficult and expensive. The electricity bill would increase a lot, and since we are under an economic crisis, I don't really believe that his promise will be accomplished.
Wow, one of the longest conversational strings ever on CD World Forums! Thank you everyone with posting to the topics. Electricity is a precious commodity to the modern functioning of the buildings people are using everyday. Confusing what those electricity wires are alluding to when regarding poverty vs. affluence labels. Vague reference to disorganization versus high people developing index of neat efficient when the wires are flowing correctly. International telecommunication matters.

We sure care about electricity a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
In what categories would Austria, Hungary, and Czech Republic belong?
Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic: I believe they all have appropriate rating in between. Already exhibiting all types of eclectic variety at such close travels nearby. Aren’t qualifying for the topic standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 06:47 PM

9,368 posts, read 9,033,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Ugh, how disappointing Saudi Arabia is having this: http://thegpscoordinates.net/photos/...2tey44k337.jpg
Xenophobic laws won’t allow Non-Muslims To Visit!
That's probably the nicest street in Saudi Arabia lol.

Does this look like a rich country to you?
Only the the highest ranked people in Saudi Arabia are rich, VERY RICH.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 PM

5,526 posts, read 8,726,033 times
Quote:
That's probably the nicest street in Saudi Arabia lol.

Does this look like a rich country to you?
Only the the highest ranked people in Saudi Arabia are rich, VERY RICH.
Xenophobia is way too rampant in Saudi Arabia. Opposite of Qatar next door. I wonder what is the background behind these reasons to have such strict laws, and attitudes. Is the main source really significantly less foreign immigrants compared to the Persian Gulf? Prize commodity of oil is going to reach end supplies in the close future. Wealth is heavily revolving around these resources too much. Iran is similar to Saudi Arabia, yet more heavily diversifying economy, and maybe just slightly more open to visitors. Azerbaijan near Iran is identical to the Persian Gulf, and Baku is even trying to become the new Dubai. There is a connection between these regions.

Wow, usually nobody even recognizes these facts of observation are in the works around Azerbaijan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQpfQg89RpE

“Azerbaijan’s $100 billion Khazar Islands is the perfect example…. It will contain the creatively named Azerbaijan Tower--which will be the world’s tallest building, about 800 feet taller than the current leader, the Burj Khalifa of Dubai UAE. It’ll be surrounded by 55 artificial islands built in the Caspian Sea…”
“Read the New York Times' profile of the Khazer Islands here:”

Azerbaijan Is Rich. Now It Wants to Be Famous. - The New York Times

Without a doubt, one of the best articles I have ever seen. Switching from Website Developer of Computers to Architect of Buildings. Offering endless source of inspiration and euphoric feelings. Very happy to reach Architect status. : )

At this point of revelation, Azerbaijan is feeling more wealthy than the background demographics. Really incredible there is high activity between UAE/Qatar/Bahrain/Kuwait/Oman to Azerbaijan. Only found out until recently.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:30 PM

6,770 posts, read 2,982,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Mexico actually isn't as bad as it seems. Its actually officially an "upper income" country by world standards. The liberals in the US present it as a poor country to justify illegal immigration. I guess the Mexican elites are okay with maintaining this image so they can dump their poor across the border. Mexico is still a Third World country, but probably toward the top of the Third World.

I suspect Greece is even poorer than it comes across as. In my image Greece is more like Thailand or Puerto Rico than a typical European country.
Most of Latin America would be "Middle Class" by world standards. I remember seeing that Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Dominican Republic are actually all around the 50th percentile when it comes to GDP per capita

Most of Latin America, Caribbean, and Ireland as well as Malaysia are both much wealthier than their projected image. Ireland is a particularly big one, where the stereotypes of sheep wandering around cities and everyone being drunk 24/7 is very far from reality. I also think most people don't realize that Chile is almost a completely developed country with a murder rate lower than the US and excellent infrastructure

UK is not as rich as everyone makes it out to be. Also people who don't live in majority Caucasian countries tend to overestimate how rich Eastern Europe is, they go in expecting that Russia, Hungary, Poland, etc will be as rich and developed as France or Italy and then get a rude awakening when they realize that Eastern Europe is more similar to Latin America or the richer parts of the Middle East. Everybody was so shocked at how Hungary dealt with the refugee crisis, when in reality Hungary is a country with a similar GDP level to Malaysia or Saint Kitts and Nevis, is it really surprising that they didn't handle it with the same tact as Germany or Sweden?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:41 AM

1,277 posts, read 393,311 times
Quote:
Ok Japan can be the No. 1 in developed world in terms of spaghetti wires. Vietnam is really poor so it's not a fair comparison.

I still think it looks normal. Graffiti annoys me but it's not really a big deal either. You guys probably have a higher standard of architectural aesthetics.

Weird overhead power lines are for me synonymous for Third World. I associate it with extreme poverty. I know it's exaggerated, even developed countries like Spain or Italy have in rural parts sometimes overhead power lines.

Graffiti is for me completely normal and in my opinion for every city a must-have. A city without graffiti is clinically dead. Something must be wrong in a city without graffiti.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:26 AM

9,368 posts, read 9,033,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Graffiti is for me completely normal and in my opinion for every city a must-have. A city without graffiti is clinically dead. Something must be wrong in a city without graffiti.
When its done good its nice but most of the time its not.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:34 AM

5,434 posts, read 3,114,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Weird overhead power lines are for me synonymous for Third World. I associate it with extreme poverty. I know it's exaggerated, even developed countries like Spain or Italy have in rural parts sometimes overhead power lines.

For me it's the opposite. I think graffiti is gross and overhead power lines are totally fine, unless your head can touch them.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 AM

16,953 posts, read 20,522,653 times
I think that a lot of people have a flawed impression of Canada before they come here.

Canada is most definitely rich and not poor. But the image of the country is usually one of pastoral breathtaking landscapes and also to some degree, charming British-style or French-style towns and ciites.

While Canada does have all of that to some degree, a much larger chunk of the built-up Canada actually looks like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.10168...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 AM

5,434 posts, read 3,114,452 times
^I think that looks fine.

Or I just have a much lower standard on what looks wealthy, probably because the majority of Taiwan looks like ****ing slums.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:50 AM

16,953 posts, read 20,522,653 times
Quote:
^I think that looks fine.

Or I just have a much lower standard on what looks wealthy, probably because the majority of Taiwan looks like ****ing slums.
It's not a slum for sure but it's not the Swiss countryside either.

Residential streets that are just off that commercial road look like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.10141...7i13312!8i6656

Nothing wrong with it. Just "banal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World