U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:51 AM

57,334 posts, read 46,766,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Mexico actually isn't as bad as it seems. Its actually officially an "upper income" country by world standards. The liberals in the US present it as a poor country to justify illegal immigration. I guess the Mexican elites are okay with maintaining this image so they can dump their poor across the border. Mexico is still a Third World country, but probably toward the top of the Third World.

I suspect Greece is even poorer than it comes across as. In my image Greece is more like Thailand or Puerto Rico than a typical European country.
This is really interesting. In the early 90's, a Russian involved in Moscow politics and business commented to me that his dream for Russia was for it to achieve the economic level of Mexico; he envisioned Russia (someday) as "a giant Mexico".

A while ago I came across a statement by Korea made back in the 30's or 40's, about how their development goal was to reach the level of Ecuador at that time. That was their big dream.

Funny how life works out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM

1,286 posts, read 406,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Describe your reasoning to any length you desire. Basically, what countries end up feeling more wealthy than they really are in the background, and the opposite variability in the continuum spectrum for the sovereign republics ending up destitute when they aren’t.

More Poor Than The Visual Image: Vietnam, Georgia
More Wealthy Situation Than Compared To The Eye Of The Beholder: Luxembourg

Average Annual Income Statistics: Vietnam $6,100, Georgia $9,500, Luxembourg $102,900 Use This Website Link As The Original Source First: Central Intelligence Agency 1993-2015 Third Diagram Table https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PP)_per_capita

Reasons Why: Architecture Of Vietnam, and Georgia are more than occasionally reaching ultimate opulence. Ironically, Luxembourg looks rather dilapidated or even sterile mediocre in pictures compared to the vibrant glow of the prior.

For the opposite scale, Luxembourg looks quite poor compared to the earlier images of extravagance.

GDP figures are often quite meaningless for the actual income or wealth of private households. Good examples are Luxembourg or Ireland.
The high GDP figures for Luxembourg originates from the large number of commuters from Belgium, France and Germany. They work in Luxembourg and they contribute to the GDP of Luxembourg but they live in the adjacent countries and take their income back home. It would be absurd to impute this income to the income of the residents of Luxembourg. Luxembourger are relatively rich, but by far not as rich as these GDP per capita figures sugest. Luxembourg is maybe comparable to an average Landkreis (county) in Bayern or Baden-Württemberg.
The high GDP of Ireland is boosted by the relative large number of international corporations that have their legal HQ in Ireland. The average household in Ireland is far "poorer" than those GDP figures sugest.

Eurostat releases an alternative figure, that's probably better to measure material well-being. It's called actual individual consumption:

GDP per capita in 2015 (EU = 100):

Luxembourg: 264
Ireland: 177
Switzerland: 162
Norway: 160
Germany: 124

Actual individual consumption per capita in 2015 (EU = 100):

Luxembourg: 137
Norway: 133
Switzerland: 128
Germany: 123
Ireland: 96

Does these figures make more sense? Probably yes, but in my experience the gap between Switzerland and Germany is in reality significant larger. I also doubt that Ireland is below the EU average.

The visual appearance of a country is in my opinion a much better indicator for the material well-being of a country than all these questionable figures.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
When its done good its nice but most of the time its not.
Yes, most of the time it looks awful. Mostly just ugly tags. But for me it's a positive sign of rebellion against the establishment. Personally I would never smirch walls or bridges. But it's good to know that there are rebellious people around. Cities without graffiti are in my opinion suspicious. Too much subordinate mentality. I could never live in Singapoore.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
For me it's the opposite. I think graffiti is gross and overhead power lines are totally fine, unless your head can touch them.

The overhead powerlines in my rural community in Germany were put underground in the late 70s. It was done in combination with a complete road and sidewalk overhaul. I guess that practically all houses in Germany are linked by underground power lines these days. Overhead powerlines are still common in rural parts of poorer European countries. That's probably the reason why I consider overhead powerlines as extremely backwardly.
I was really shocked to see all these overhead powerlines in Japan for the first time when I used google streetview. For me it looks poor, unorganized and outdated. It looks horrible ugly to me.
For me it's completely incomprehensible why they don't put the power lines underground. All the cables for TV and communication are also underground. Why they don't put the power lines underground when they renew the road or overhaul the other underground installations?

Most of the graffities are complete meaningless, but there are also quite a lot with in my opinion important political messages.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think that a lot of people have a flawed impression of Canada before they come here.

Canada is most definitely rich and not poor. But the image of the country is usually one of pastoral breathtaking landscapes and also to some degree, charming British-style or French-style towns and ciites.

While Canada does have all of that to some degree, a much larger chunk of the built-up Canada actually looks like this:

Almost all Canadians live in outlying log cabins. Amazing landscapes. It's freezing year-round. Everyone has sledge dogs or a snowmobile for moving around. Larger cities doesn't exist. No factories, no trafic, no pollution. Just fresh air everywhere. Complete absent of any crime

Be happy that Canada has such a beautiful image around the world.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's quite impressive, as it's more expensive to do that in low density, wooded areas.

I would think that this is quite normal. Not sure, but maybe they started to put new power lines underground after WW2 or maybe it started in the 60s? Not sure. But I guess that all the roads and sidewalks had a renovation since the 60s. It's surely also the case for all the installations that are already underground like drinking water and sewer pipes, gas pipes, TV and phone cables. All these installations got surely an overhaul in the last 50 years. It seems to me just logical to put the power lines underground when the infrastructure get anyway an overhaul. That doesn't seem so expensive to me.

Right now a hurrican like storm is threaten some parts of Germany. I guess we had to face major blackouts if we had overhead powerlines. Falling trees would wreck the power lines at hundred or thousand sites. It would take forever to repair them. It would be horrible if the power grid failed.

In the last major storm in 2014 just the city of Düsseldorf has lost more than 30,000 trees. It took several days to repair all the damages on the tram wires.

Exceptional weather conditions in the Münsterland in 2005 led to collapsing of several high-voltage power lines. 250,000 people were affected and it took up to seven days to connect the last households to the power grid.

Some of these collapsing power poles were from the 30s

Old 02-23-2017, 11:34 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,856,264 times
Most graffity is ugly, especially when it is put on buildings that are not owned or rented by the artist to do so. Spraying on other people's or public property is inacceptable and has to be prosecuted.

Regarding to the power grid, in Germany the lower level distribution grid in residential areas (10kV or less) is usually underground, but for long distance and higher voltage transmission grids, it is not efficient to do that (at least for alternating current). 380kV underground lines are very uncommon in Germany, they do not make sense so far. Some pilot projects are under development but it is still not state of the art.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:25 PM

5,526 posts, read 8,778,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Most of Latin America would be "Middle Class" by world standards. I remember seeing that Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Dominican Republic are actually all around the 50th percentile when it comes to GDP per capita

Most of Latin America, Caribbean, and Ireland as well as Malaysia are both much wealthier than their projected image. Ireland is a particularly big one, where the stereotypes of sheep wandering around cities and everyone being drunk 24/7 is very far from reality. I also think most people don't realize that Chile is almost a completely developed country with a murder rate lower than the US and excellent infrastructure

UK is not as rich as everyone makes it out to be. Also people who don't live in majority Caucasian countries tend to overestimate how rich Eastern Europe is, they go in expecting that Russia, Hungary, Poland, etc will be as rich and developed as France or Italy and then get a rude awakening when they realize that Eastern Europe is more similar to Latin America or the richer parts of the Middle East. Everybody was so shocked at how Hungary dealt with the refugee crisis, when in reality Hungary is a country with a similar GDP level to Malaysia or Saint Kitts and Nevis, is it really surprising that they didn't handle it with the same tact as Germany or Sweden?
Architecture is always a first order standard. Then available lifestyle options after that. Cultural treasures, or where people hang out is another essential encounter to observe. To determine the full scale of wealth versus poverty affecting all of the citizens.

Spain is not nearly as poor compared to reputation. Especially when they have Ibiza, and usually old enough not too young people already covered. Having $35,000 per capita annual income to the average population is pretty stable for Spain. News articles are supposed to focus on the bright side at least occasionally minimal amount.

Poland is mysterious to the usual foreigners. One of the most underrated in all of mainland Europe. Actually the other way around. Poland is much more wealthy than what people believe. Another vantage point compared to Czech Republic’s tourism glamour. Even when they technically have identical atmosphere. Slovakia is undeniably grouped with Poland.

Ultimate basic conclusion! Spain, Poland more wealthy than what people thought. For the opposite continuum spectrum: France, UK, Italy, Russia, Belarus, Macedonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia are more poor middle ground than the any image of ultra luxury opulence or endlessly comfortable economic support.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:38 PM

17,025 posts, read 20,672,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Almost all Canadians live in outlying log cabins. Amazing landscapes. It's freezing year-round. Everyone has sledge dogs or a snowmobile for moving around. Larger cities doesn't exist. No factories, no trafic, no pollution. Just fresh air everywhere. Complete absent of any crime

Be happy that Canada has such a beautiful image around the world.
Thanks for the nice mental imagery!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:07 PM

5,526 posts, read 8,778,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Weird overhead power lines are for me synonymous for Third World. I associate it with extreme poverty. I know it's exaggerated, even developed countries like Spain or Italy have in rural parts sometimes overhead power lines.

Graffiti is for me completely normal and in my opinion for every city a must-have. A city without graffiti is clinically dead. Something must be wrong in a city without graffiti.
People couldn’t stop talking about those damn electricity lines. Functionality is vital too. Other than aesthetics of a nation. Seismicity is another reason why those overheard strands are established. Popular in Japan, and New Zealand because of this.

Yeah, graffiti is able to amplify further character to a region. Although, requiring the appropriate outlet. Neutral on whether graffiti makes somewhere more affluent or destitute.

Bondi Beach Of Sydney Australia:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sydn...ld93UOLxONw5oM

https://atome.files.wordpress.com/20...bondibeach.jpg

http://www.willflyforfood.net/upload.../graffiti8.jpg

http://cdn.atbondi.com/wp-content/up...ing.jpg?ef6f3c

http://www.shaggyrags.com/oz/AU017.JPG

https://www.graffiti.org/atome/blove.jpg

http://www.beastman.com.au/walls_2010/beastnelio.jpg

http://atbondi.com/gallery/wp-conten...di-660x440.jpg

http://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com...street-art.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World