U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 PM

5,435 posts, read 3,114,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
No, i know people that smoke 50 per day pure tobacco, at least i smoke filter lights.
Don't kid yourself. You know that 30 cigarettes per day is chain smoking and the consequences won't be great in a decade or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 PM

9,387 posts, read 9,033,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Don't kid yourself. You know that 30 cigarettes per day is chain smoking and the consequences won't be great in a decade or two.
Chain smoking is smoking cigarette after cigarette, i smoke 2 per hour, big difference!
Better smoke 30 cigs per day than drink 30 glasses of beer per day.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:27 AM

1,598 posts, read 860,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Chain smoking is smoking cigarette after cigarette, i smoke 2 per hour, big difference!
Better smoke 30 cigs per day than drink 30 glasses of beer per day.
Even better would be to smoke 3 cigs and drink 3 beer, but hey, Mark Twain smoked like 25-40 cigars pro day.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:17 PM

1,995 posts, read 1,390,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Nationalities with persons which I know to some extension for stating what is my impression about them:

Americans: like Italians, it's hard (and even harder) to have a general idea about them. Particularly I think that each state has a distinct and very own culture. I work in a company from USA, all the times I talked with them were at professional level.
I think we as Americans like to play up the differences between various states, but truth be told the country is becoming more and more homogenous with each passing year. Before national chains became prominent and cookie cutter suburbia took over the country, the regional differences were far more pronounced. Now the majority of Americans shop at the same stores, eat the same restaurants, and live in similarly developed suburbs. Even various regional accents are becoming less prominent.

There are obviously differences in landscapes, weather, political climate, some food items, etc, between different cities and regions, but I would say the overwhelming similarity between so much of the country now outweighs the differences by a wide margin. That being said, there still can be a lot of differences between the core cities in the country. It's just that so many of those cities' suburbs are interchangeable with each other, and the vast majority of Americans live in the suburbs.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM
F18

400 posts, read 192,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Portuguese: probably the most surprising of this list. Very industrious and hard working, but hard to smile. Believe or not, many of the stereotypes generally given to Germans in Europe apply very accurately to most of Portuguese which I know. They are nothing like Brazilians and nothing like Spaniards.

Frenchmen: I have a special sentiment towards France and Frenchmen in general, and maybe the nationality other than Brazilians which I most know. Unlike Brazilians, which are friends of everyone but mostly superficially, Frenchmen take very seriously the friendship, and once we conquest their trust, they will be our friends forever. France definitively conquered my heart.

There are other nationalities which I met, but I prefer not to talk about.
Your perception of the Portuguese is very surprising. I really didn't see that coming

However a lot of Brazilians love France and anything that is French. Why? I have no idea.

Old Today, 11:35 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,203,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Your perception of the Portuguese is very surprising. I really didn't see that coming

However a lot of Brazilians love France and anything that is French. Why? I have no idea.
In my case there is nothing to do with the fact of being a Brazilian, but because some of the best friends of my parents are from France, to the point that every two or three years they visit each other. I visited France three times; they spend the Christmas and New Year with us in 2014/2015. We also have many other friends with connections to France. Though I never lived in France, it's maybe the foreign culture to which I am most exposed.

Old Today, 11:41 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,203,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I think we as Americans like to play up the differences between various states, but truth be told the country is becoming more and more homogenous with each passing year. Before national chains became prominent and cookie cutter suburbia took over the country, the regional differences were far more pronounced. Now the majority of Americans shop at the same stores, eat the same restaurants, and live in similarly developed suburbs. Even various regional accents are becoming less prominent.

There are obviously differences in landscapes, weather, political climate, some food items, etc, between different cities and regions, but I would say the overwhelming similarity between so much of the country now outweighs the differences by a wide margin. That being said, there still can be a lot of differences between the core cities in the country. It's just that so many of those cities' suburbs are interchangeable with each other, and the vast majority of Americans live in the suburbs.
Maybe it's true, but like I said most Americans which I met are from working ambient. I don't know them enough to perceive something in common with them. Outside the workplace, I met two American women - mother and daughter - from California when I was in Paris, and we spend about 30 minutes talking about a variety of things. And the former owner of the apartment where I live today was also from USA. Maybe if I lived in USA, my perception would change.

Old Today, 12:06 PM

328 posts, read 84,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Another stereotyping thread, great. I'll give it a few days before this is inevitably shut down due to casual racism.

right on, thinking a personality is between borders, is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World