U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 PM

5,833 posts, read 3,412,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
No, i know people that smoke 50 per day pure tobacco, at least i smoke filter lights.
Don't kid yourself. You know that 30 cigarettes per day is chain smoking and the consequences won't be great in a decade or two.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 PM

9,952 posts, read 9,598,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Don't kid yourself. You know that 30 cigarettes per day is chain smoking and the consequences won't be great in a decade or two.
Chain smoking is smoking cigarette after cigarette, i smoke 2 per hour, big difference!
Better smoke 30 cigs per day than drink 30 glasses of beer per day.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:27 AM

1,707 posts, read 949,598 times
Quote:
Chain smoking is smoking cigarette after cigarette, i smoke 2 per hour, big difference!
Even better would be to smoke 3 cigs and drink 3 beer, but hey, Mark Twain smoked like 25-40 cigars pro day.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:17 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,516,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Nationalities with persons which I know to some extension for stating what is my impression about them:

Americans: like Italians, it's hard (and even harder) to have a general idea about them. Particularly I think that each state has a distinct and very own culture. I work in a company from USA, all the times I talked with them were at professional level.
I think we as Americans like to play up the differences between various states, but truth be told the country is becoming more and more homogenous with each passing year. Before national chains became prominent and cookie cutter suburbia took over the country, the regional differences were far more pronounced. Now the majority of Americans shop at the same stores, eat the same restaurants, and live in similarly developed suburbs. Even various regional accents are becoming less prominent.

There are obviously differences in landscapes, weather, political climate, some food items, etc, between different cities and regions, but I would say the overwhelming similarity between so much of the country now outweighs the differences by a wide margin. That being said, there still can be a lot of differences between the core cities in the country. It's just that so many of those cities' suburbs are interchangeable with each other, and the vast majority of Americans live in the suburbs.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM
F18

451 posts, read 225,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Portuguese: probably the most surprising of this list. Very industrious and hard working, but hard to smile. Believe or not, many of the stereotypes generally given to Germans in Europe apply very accurately to most of Portuguese which I know. They are nothing like Brazilians and nothing like Spaniards.

Frenchmen: I have a special sentiment towards France and Frenchmen in general, and maybe the nationality other than Brazilians which I most know. Unlike Brazilians, which are friends of everyone but mostly superficially, Frenchmen take very seriously the friendship, and once we conquest their trust, they will be our friends forever. France definitively conquered my heart.

There are other nationalities which I met, but I prefer not to talk about.
Your perception of the Portuguese is very surprising. I really didn't see that coming

However a lot of Brazilians love France and anything that is French. Why? I have no idea.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,277,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Your perception of the Portuguese is very surprising. I really didn't see that coming

However a lot of Brazilians love France and anything that is French. Why? I have no idea.
In my case there is nothing to do with the fact of being a Brazilian, but because some of the best friends of my parents are from France, to the point that every two or three years they visit each other. I visited France three times; they spend the Christmas and New Year with us in 2014/2015. We also have many other friends with connections to France. Though I never lived in France, it's maybe the foreign culture to which I am most exposed.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,277,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I think we as Americans like to play up the differences between various states, but truth be told the country is becoming more and more homogenous with each passing year. Before national chains became prominent and cookie cutter suburbia took over the country, the regional differences were far more pronounced. Now the majority of Americans shop at the same stores, eat the same restaurants, and live in similarly developed suburbs. Even various regional accents are becoming less prominent.

There are obviously differences in landscapes, weather, political climate, some food items, etc, between different cities and regions, but I would say the overwhelming similarity between so much of the country now outweighs the differences by a wide margin. That being said, there still can be a lot of differences between the core cities in the country. It's just that so many of those cities' suburbs are interchangeable with each other, and the vast majority of Americans live in the suburbs.
Maybe it's true, but like I said most Americans which I met are from working ambient. I don't know them enough to perceive something in common with them. Outside the workplace, I met two American women - mother and daughter - from California when I was in Paris, and we spend about 30 minutes talking about a variety of things. And the former owner of the apartment where I live today was also from USA. Maybe if I lived in USA, my perception would change.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM

730 posts, read 217,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Another stereotyping thread, great. I'll give it a few days before this is inevitably shut down due to casual racism.

right on, thinking a personality is between borders, is ludicrous.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:55 PM

5,584 posts, read 8,999,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
right on, thinking a personality is between borders, is ludicrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I'm reluctant to make any generalisation about a country and its people.

But in Australia, there is a high value placed on mateship. If you are my comrade or my friend, I will go above and beyond to help you. It may seem that no Australian takes him or herself, or anything for that matter, too seriously i.e. "larrikinism". But I think this could perhaps be a stereotype.
When people learn, each and every country is very unique, including the people. Always able to deconstruct personality traits to decipher according to the individual. There are psychological, rational, smart, sane reasons of foundation to understand these variations across boundaries of independent nations.

Philippines citizens: Gentle, Superficially Emotional, Usually Wonderfully Overweight(Especially For Mainland Asians), Latin Hispanic Other Than Southeast Asian, Calm, Quick To Answer, Timidly Direct To Talk, Detached, Deeply Christian Religious, Apathetic Yet Faithful

Malaysia: A blend of Indonesians, Chinese, Indians, Not Identical To Thais, More Happy Go Lucky, Less Avoidant, More To Tell People What They Think Right Away, Very Spiritual, Not Too Materialistic, Subtle Arab Middle Eastern Vibe, Yet Deep Southeast Asian, Focus Minded Without Caring What Other People Think Of Them, Unconventional Educated, Far Out There

Turkey: Vivacious Full Of Life, Yet Subdued, Relatively Withdrawn Yet When They Are Threatened Or Stimulated They Let People Know Right Away, Fast To React, Positively Aggressive, Not That Different From Some Romanian Black Sea People! Or Those Southeastern Europe Balkan republics, Sometimes Cynical Yet They Move On

Georgia: More European Than Middle Eastern, isolation of Kartvelian language, A complex triple blend of cultural immersions between Russian, Turkish, Armenian/Azeri, Not Nearly As Intellectual, Spiritual, Deep, or Mystical For How People May Appear Over There, Yet Very Redeeming Qualities, Into The Ladies Over There(At Least More Fat), Uniquely Exotic

Azerbaijan: Much more Middle Eastern Than European, Combination Between Russian To Iranian Personality Traits, Yet Completely Separate From These Nations, Secretive Aliens, Deep Persian Gulf Source Connections Lately (Baku establishing a new Dubai!), Much More Entrepreneurial Business Mind Of Thought Than People Even Acknowledge, Including Especially Architecture, Up To The Final Results Forever

Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 PM

5,584 posts, read 8,999,655 times
Quote:
1.Not overly sensitive, I'm just being realistic and decent.
"being skinny is just for fools and to magnify darkness and misery" You must be Samoan.

2.If you worry so much about all that food not getting eaten then go outside and give it to the homeless!

3.Source please because i don't believe it.

4.Depends on what do you consider "overly skinny", i'm 190 cm and 75 kg (I see myself as slim, bodybuilders would call me skinny and obese people would probably call me overly thin).
I don't have any health problems, recently i had a blood test and my doctor said everything looked great and i even smoke 30 cigarettes per day for nearly 15 years.

5."Seem" is the magic word here. They might be more calm and act happy to hide their insecurity.

6.Believe me, i've been to Japan twice and they enjoy enough freedom, they eat healthy and walk a lot.

7.Fit is not fat, i don't want to offend you because you might be on the bigger side but please be realistic and stop trying bringing non-fat people down to make yourself feel more confident.

8.Any way of overweight is not fit for sure. You really believe Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley are more healthy than Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt?
Tragic fate of destiny: Ending up being too skinny spells misery and severe health problems with painfully agonizing anemia. Sorry, you can’t enjoy your life. On the Planet Earth realm. People gain weight too easily. Metabolism is not a fantasy la la land. I am not condoning morbid obesity neither.

Moderately fat, or just slightly overweight is optimal. All of those vitamins, nutrients, minerals to support people’s vitality. Tasty flavorful entertaining fun around. Food is our own livelihood. How could people skip eating, and all of those meals. Entire freedom is forever lost to not enjoy eating.

I am muscular, and look like a beefcake. I feel more at my happy forever mode of functionality.

Smoking 30 Cigarettes per day is much worse. All of these overly skinny people I saw recently losing their voices, and not having enough nutrients in their throats. Lack of vitamins discharge. Anyways, civilization and society is for eating, and loving life enough. More calories= more energy. Those overly skinny people can’t run or swim. Overweight is the real fit! As long to not go overboard. All of those hot girls to hook up with that are more voluptuous, and more bigger boobs shape. And we are able to go at restaurants, and travel without any restrictions.

Quote:
Rather than smoke cigarettes, I admire puffing up flavored tobacco with vibrant flavors resembling Lime, Lemon, Grape, Cardamon, even Spicy Air Black Pepper Hookah Nargile! Wow. There are cigarettes with those flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World