U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 AM

5,012 posts, read 6,534,416 times

Advertisements

I will treat this thread with two questions, both implied by the OP:

1) Where would you rather live if not the USA?
- Canada, UK or Ireland, Spain, or Japan

2) In the 1/1e9 probability that the USA does become a third world nation, where would you go?
- Nowhere. I would work hard to make it a 1st world nation again with a good quality of life. Slacker.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:14 AM

840 posts, read 1,569,611 times
In a heart beat and with pleasure and joy!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:47 AM

63 posts, read 146,498 times
Ireland.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 AM

2,270 posts, read 3,669,185 times
Most of you seem to think the world will still be the same if the United States becomes a 3rd world. Should this happen, the rest of the world will become a 4th, 5th or 6th world. Without the United States to keep order, stronger countries will be invading weaker countries all over the globe. There will be no place to move to.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 AM

221 posts, read 209,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Most of you seem to think the world will still be the same if the United States becomes a 3rd world. Should this happen, the rest of the world will become a 4th, 5th or 6th world. Without the United States to keep order, stronger countries will be invading weaker countries all over the globe. There will be no place to move to.
false. there are loads of countries today that have heaps higher GDP per capita than the US. the one i live in, for an example. the average norwegian has generally something between a 20 - 30% higher salary than the average norwegian. stop acting like everyone are dependant on "the glorious nation of USA".

the EU would still live on if the US became a 3rd would country. itd face some majot struggles, yes, but i have a hard time believing that it would go to hell, like youre implying.

i also think its lame how so many people on this board seem to think all the members are american, when it, from reading the different threads (specifically in the "World" section), clearly stands out as a multicultural forum.

if norway went bankrupt, however, i would probably move to Germany, France or Japan (if it became more multicultural).

actually, The Netherlands would be pretty cool, too!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
false. there are loads of countries today that have heaps higher GDP per capita than the US. the one i live in, for an example. the average norwegian has generally something between a 20 - 30% higher salary than the average norwegian. stop acting like everyone are dependant on "the glorious nation of USA".

the EU would still live on if the US became a 3rd would country. itd face some majot struggles, yes, but i have a hard time believing that it would go to hell, like youre implying.

i also think its lame how so many people on this board seem to think all the members are american, when it, from reading the different threads (specifically in the "World" section), clearly stands out as a multicultural forum.

if norway went bankrupt, however, i would probably move to Germany, France or Japan (if it became more multicultural).

actually, The Netherlands would be pretty cool, too!
I assume if the United States was a 3rd world country it would be the same as Mexico today. That would mean our military would be a laughing stock and Russia would quickly take over all of Europe, China would take over Asia.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM

China and USA's economies are completely dependant on eachother which is why if USA's economy went to hell, then so would China. Japans economy, however, is huge so they would be more likely to take over Asia, dont you think? well, unless you take into considerating that china has a population of 1,3 billion which would have made it easy to conquer japan which has only 127 million, i guess.

btw, what makes you think EU wouldnt be able to survive if the US became a 3rd world country? remember, EU has almost 500 million people while Russia has only 140 million.. it is also much richer than russia.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,534,416 times
It is in the vested interest of the rest of the world to keep the USA as a consumer nation. Entire industries in other countries are founded on the notion that Americans do not save for retirement.

The rest of the world knows this, and is trying to boost and diversify their income stream by boosting domestic spending. However most nations do not have the social or economic infrastructure to do this. Most European nations (not ALL, just most) have a robust social welfare system but tax people like crazy there. The old school ideas of saving 10-15% of your income for retirement are also still strong there. It's ironic to note that as recently as 1980 Americans were still saving around 10% of their income.

If you consider China, it's even worse. People there save 45-60% (!) of their income to both save for retirement and hedge their bets. Chinese healthcare, technologically, is almost on par with the rest of the industrialized world, but their social system for it is apalling. The system goes, so long as you have the money, they will treat you. If you don't, you go out on the street, healthy or not. Until China changes this and other policies then their dream of having a totally Sino-centric or mostly Sino-centric economy with strong exports and having a high consumer spending base will not happen.

Japan has a very robust system, and has potential for more domestic spending, but I do not think anyone is seriously considering marketing more or brainwashing the Japanese public to spend more.

So it's simple - keep the US debt flowing and free, to finance our spending, so the rest of the world can work. US spending goes down, so does the rest of the world. The top 1% of the world want to keep it that way, or at least have a circular flow to who saves and who spends.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
China and USA's economies are completely dependant on eachother which is why if USA's economy went to hell, then so would China. Japans economy, however, is huge so they would be more likely to take over Asia, dont you think? well, unless you take into considerating that china has a population of 1,3 billion which would have made it easy to conquer japan which has only 127 million, i guess.

btw, what makes you think EU wouldnt be able to survive if the US became a 3rd world country? remember, EU has almost 500 million people while Russia has only 140 million.. it is also much richer than russia.
China has no ACLU, no quotas, no PC, no legitimate courts, the military runs the country; yeah, broke or not they have the weapons and the will to invade and conquer. Who is going to stop them?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 AM

its a tough dilemma, as russia, china, france and the UK all have nuclear weapons..

if anyone tried conquering anyone, then hell would break loose! isnt russia just as likely to conquer asia as china? i mean, they definitely have alot more nukes than china do!

List of states with nuclear weapons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World