U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:30 PM

5,665 posts, read 6,002,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
I live in Paris so outside of Paris and If I was rich, definitely Roma or Barcelona: rich, clean (not Swiss like but still clean), safe, amazing food, amazing history, amazing weather, everything to be an exceptional place to live in.
Yeah, it is hard to top a place like Barcelona that does everything well and has the best climatic and topographical features going for it as well. Tel-Aviv too, but I feel people will always find some knick or knack to hate on it (unjustly), just because it is in the Middle-East. Though that would be through their own ignorance, the city has perfect weather, perfect scenery, a great culture, outstanding economy, amazing night scene (very late night city from what I hear), great infrastructure, and amazing pedestrian experience with unique architecture. In a nutshell, doesn't leave much at all to be disappointed with. Similar in that sense to Barcelona, which has very few flaws, and no major crippling flaws as a city.

Barcelona has the ideal weather, it is a mild temperature for the grand majority of the year and the scenery around the city is stunning. The city's urban build and layout are exceptional and only are enhanced further by the adept city infrastructure and public transport in place.

Ideally, Barcelona is what Los Angeles should have become in the United States because Los Angeles has the weather and scenery of Barcelona. It is the physical build of the city that Los Angeles does not have, nor the infrastructure, and to be honest, the more active night scene (because Barcelona is better than Los Angeles at that as well).

Not hating on Los Angeles, it isn't my favorite city but I respect it enough, my point is that I am just demonstrating that if it maximized its potential, it and not New York, could have been the best city in the United States. Alas, we live and we learn, nothing can be done about past mistakes with regard to layout and infrastructure at this point. We live and we learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 PM

2,023 posts, read 2,080,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Yeah, it is hard to top a place like Barcelona that does everything well and has the best climatic and topographical features going for it as well. Tel-Aviv too, but I feel people will always find some knick or knack to hate on it (unjustly), just because it is in the Middle-East. Though that would be through their own ignorance, the city has perfect weather, perfect scenery, a great culture, outstanding economy, amazing night scene (very late night city from what I hear), great infrastructure, and amazing pedestrian experience with unique architecture. In a nutshell, doesn't leave much at all to be disappointed with. Similar in that sense to Barcelona, which has very few flaws, and no major crippling flaws as a city.

Barcelona has the ideal weather, it is a mild temperature for the grand majority of the year and the scenery around the city is stunning. The city's urban build and layout are exceptional and only are enhanced further by the adept city infrastructure and public transport in place.

Ideally, Barcelona is what Los Angeles should have become in the United States because Los Angeles has the weather and scenery of Barcelona. It is the physical build of the city that Los Angeles does not have, nor the infrastructure, and to be honest, the more active night scene (because Barcelona is better than Los Angeles at that as well).

Not hating on Los Angeles, it isn't my favorite city but I respect it enough, my point is that I am just demonstrating that if it maximized its potential, it and not New York, could have been the best city in the United States. Alas, we live and we learn, nothing can be done about past mistakes with regard to layout and infrastructure at this point. We live and we learn.
Tel-Aviv -- great city that keeps getting better and better. BUT:

- Its weather is far from perfect. Oppressively hot and humid summers, and rainy and somewhat chilly winters. It has Miami's hellish summers but not (unfortunately) its heavenly winters. The shoulder seasons are nice but the rest of the year most people will not find its weather particularly comfortable.

- Its infrastructure is far from great. No subway or light rail (though they are working on it) and terrible traffic. They do have suburban rail but it has limited coverage that's of no use to most people. The freeway system has improved a great deal in the last 20 years but rush hour traffic is still terrible.

- The architecture can grow on you, but it's a utilitarian style that is not to everyone's taste. Many visitors are disappointed by Tel Aviv's aesthetic qualities. It certainly can't compare with the timeless beauty of the great European capitals.

I agree with you about Barcelona though. That's a city almost without a flaw.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 AM

1,219 posts, read 321,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Never heard of this city. Judging the city according to Google Streetview, the city looks pretty much like most other similar sized U.S. cities.

65 rapes for a city with a population of about 100,000 residents? The rape rate in College Station is much higher than the rape rate among Syrian refugees in Germany. Maybe Trump should take action and deport all residents of College Station.
College station is where Texas A&M is located. It's a huge college town (shocking).

Anyways, most those rapes are sexual assaults from the university. If you look at just about any large college town, you will see similar numbers. While those numbers aren't great, these rapes tend to be more of the "I got dunk last night and don't like the decisions I made" and not the "if you scream I'll kill you" type of rapes.

The biggest factor in the large increase in rapes in the western world over the last few decades has more to do with the fact that they keep changing the definition of rape and not so much of an immigration problem. With that being said, violent rapes in the last couple years have dramatically increased in Europe, due to the migrant crises if you don't buy into the propaganda. A lot of these countries governments go out of their way to hide the evidence of this to save face. Countries like Sweden or Germany are about as guilty of this as it gets.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 1,292,569 times
Perfect to me is the following

Low crime, good infrastructure, low to no pollution, good jobs, very temperate warm weather, somewhat close to good beaches and skiing, not overly crowded

So, that gives me Melbourne.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:48 AM

7,973 posts, read 8,666,237 times
Any big city is gonna have air pollution.

Victoria's crime rate spikes as Opposition warns of a 'crime tsunami' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crg0SSrhvbk

Old 03-17-2017, 06:39 PM

15,295 posts, read 17,523,925 times
I'm partial to Kyoto and Vienna. I really like Montreal, but the winters get to be a bit much. I also really like Taipei, but the pollution isn't great and the architecture is mostly ugly as all get out. Great city though.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM

7,973 posts, read 8,666,237 times
There is many cities 400,000 below that would fit this they are just never on no one's radar and maybe that is why they are perfect, to be honest.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,468,443 times
I thought Vancouver was in 1986. Now? Not so much.

I used to think Victoria was in 2003. Now? Too expensive.

New York is great in small doses. Not to live--can be a nightmare.

LA--as insanely huge as it is, is growing on me. Go figure. Many little nooks and crannies and micro neighborhoods to find oneself.

SF: nope

Seattle? Perhaps when I first went in the early 80s. No longer.

Miami: no Thanks.

DC, after it gentrifies completely. But then it would be like Disneyland.

etc. etc.

I agree with Paull805: small is better. Best no one let out their favorite!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:28 PM

5,862 posts, read 3,429,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I also really like Taipei, but the pollution isn't great and the architecture is mostly ugly as all get out.
This is the first time I see you being critical to Taiwan and I'm glad.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 PM

5,862 posts, read 3,429,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Any big city is gonna have air pollution.
Huh no. There's Vancouver and then there's Beijing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World