U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:08 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,161,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
If you're from a Spanish speaking background or culture, you're Hispanic whether you're a US citizen or not. I can tell Mexicans from Central Americans from Puerto Ricans by their accent and their slang.
Central Americans can look SO different from each other- A Costa Rican vs a Guatemalan vs a Belizean, the difference can be night and day.

If you are a well informed and observant person, you can tell the difference between all Latin American nationalities. Still even then you can be wrong due to stereotyping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 01:09 AM

34 posts, read 12,585 times
Hondurans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans to me look a lot like Mexican people.

I also can't tell Ecuadorians and Peruvians apart

Argentines and Uruguayans as well look alike to me

Old 03-11-2017, 08:20 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,703,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Culturally, Europe and Latin America don't seem to be very similar.

But Spain is definitely a part of Europe and a part of Hispanic world. Is Spanish culture the mix of European and Hispanic culture?
Your use of "hispanic" is incorrect, so I will ignore the second sentence to focus on the first.

Latin America is a mix of native populations, European settlers, descendants of African Slaves, and the mixture among them. That combination depends on each country. 8-10 times more slaves were brought into Brazil than the US and the numbers were large in other parts. In some countries, the Native populations remain prominent, in others they were virtually wiped out. In some countries, there are many mixed race, in others the populations remained fairly distinct.

More recently, there is a more globalized mix of immigrants from Asia, Africa, etc.

S.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 AM

13,075 posts, read 14,397,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songrant View Post
The vast majority of Hispanics in the US come from Mexico, Central America and Puerto Rico.

I tend to not be able to differentiate Mexicans from Central Americans, to me they sort of look alike and their culture is somehow similar.

Puerto Ricans do look different, but I don't think they qualify as Hispanic as they are already American citizens.
In New Mexico, most Hispanics don't come from Mexico, they come from the same local areas here in the U.S. that were colonized by Spain.

Many of the Mexican immigrants in New Mexico come from the nearest Mexican states which also have a high representation of descendants of Spanish colonists. They certainly don't look like Michoacanos or Oaxacans and other southern Mexicans with strong indigenous looks.

In fact, most of the indigenous looking Hispanics in New Mexico are not from Mexico either. They are the descendants of local Hispanicised Native Americans called genizaros. The Spanish colonists converted them to Catholicism and taught them Spanish, eroding most of their indigenous traditions and served as a servile underclass. To this day, New Mexican Hispanics with European looks tend to be more educated and economically successful than the descendants of the genizaros.

As far as Puerto Ricans qualifying as Hispanic, they certainly are, as the term Hispanic denotes a particular cultural background, not citizenship.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:33 AM

3,143 posts, read 3,146,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In New Mexico, most Hispanics don't come from Mexico, they come from the same local areas here in the U.S. that were colonized by Spain.

Many of the Mexican immigrants in New Mexico come from the nearest Mexican states which also have a high representation of descendants of Spanish colonists. They certainly don't look like Michoacanos or Oaxacans and other southern Mexicans with strong indigenous looks.

In fact, most of the indigenous looking Hispanics in New Mexico are not from Mexico either. They are the descendants of local Hispanicised Native Americans called genizaros. The Spanish colonists converted them to Catholicism and taught them Spanish, eroding most of their indigenous traditions and served as a servile underclass. To this day, New Mexican Hispanics with European looks tend to be more educated and economically successful than the descendants of the genizaros.

As far as Puerto Ricans qualifying as Hispanic, they certainly are, as the term Hispanic denotes a particular cultural background, not citizenship.
Interesting post. Do Genizaros still speak Spanish?

Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 AM

10,444 posts, read 10,314,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Culturally, Europe and Latin America don't seem to be very similar.

But Spain is definitely a part of Europe and a part of Hispanic world. Is Spanish culture the mix of European and Hispanic culture?
"Hispanic" as in the political tag line the US came up with in order to control the votes better? Or "Hispanic" as in the region of Europe?

If speaking of the region, then it is as European as the Irish, Italian, German, etc cultures; it is one of many cultures of Europe.

If speaking of the political tag line, well, it does not mean anything, the political tag is just identifying a group of people who speak a common language, under the guise of proclaiming they are "all the same", when in reality they are very different.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:24 AM

3,308 posts, read 2,161,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Cultural complexities are too much information for people who want to continuously recycle stereotypes.

I've always thought New Mexico has a fascinating history.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:48 PM

2,510 posts, read 908,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Central Americans can look SO different from each other- A Costa Rican vs a Guatemalan vs a Belizean, the difference can be night and day.

If you are a well informed and observant person, you can tell the difference between all Latin American nationalities. Still even then you can be wrong due to stereotyping.
Very much so, but I have been wrong and it is embarrassing. Being a Gringo, they just assume that I'm being presumptive rather than observant. Now I wait until it can all be tied together.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:29 PM

1,476 posts, read 497,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yes, that's true. You seem to know more about the complexities of Mexican culture compared to 95% of the people on this board.

My mother just brought me chorizo español, queso manchego and olive oil from Mexico.

I have Mexican family that went there before the Civil War in Spain, in 1930 or such. They made a fortune with brandy and I know they hang in their clubs and colonias and only marry other spanish. Other family members went to Veracruz, they became entirely Mexican and they married Mexican women. I lost any notion of them as they don't have properties in our hometown, or they have not returned in decades.

Yes, Mexican have their own chorizo, and eat many Spanish products and also produice olive oil. In fact, every Spanish dish or "platillo" as they say in Mexico is part of Mexican gastronomy.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM

1,476 posts, read 497,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"Hispanic" as in the political tag line the US came up with in order to control the votes better? Or "Hispanic" as in the region of Europe?

If speaking of the region, then it is as European as the Irish, Italian, German, etc cultures; it is one of many cultures of Europe.

If speaking of the political tag line, well, it does not mean anything, the political tag is just identifying a group of people who speak a common language, under the guise of proclaiming they are "all the same", when in reality they are very different.

Hispanics in America are just as Hispanics as thoose in Hispania. Same culture, language, religion, myths and sincretisme.

Political tag...I would not use it as political tag as Hispanics are ideologically Republican but are being manipulated by Democrats...and used as scapegoats by nativists, which will mean their destruction is the short run, as Hispanics will be mainstream in less than a generation..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World