U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM

1,483 posts, read 549,919 times

Advertisements

They're not mutually exclusive. Spain is completely European and completely Hispanic.

Only a person from the US could've posed this question. It doesn't say where you're from on your status but you can smell the ignorance from a mile away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 01:48 PM
AFP

4,540 posts, read 2,292,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Brazilians are not very fond of Portugal and some Portuguese don't like Brazil, so...

The operative word I used is some. I'm familiar with some of the conflicts and the types of things that are said I have an uncle with family in São Paulo and my family members in Portugal employ Brazilians. Actually I know a number of Brazilians that are quite fond of Portugal it really depends what type of Brazilians you interact with. I should say most of the people I communicate with online live in Portugal and Brazil.

Anyway just think about it would you have more in common with a group of Brazilans if you choose to go out to dinner with them or a group of Norwegians. I have no doubt I would have endless topics I could speak with the Brazilians and that they would be warm and welcoming. The Norwegians on the other hand are not warm it's like mixing oil and water then what would we talk about.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:49 PM

118 posts, read 44,276 times
Hispanic is US term, nobody in Europe would use term hispanic. Spain is european country with european culture. Latin America is mix of european/spanish, german, italian/ native American, in some cases african cultures. Also there is not single ,,hispanic,, culture, Cuba, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia or Guatemala are all very different from each other.

So answer to OP´s question is that Spain is more european than hispanic.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:26 PM
F18

451 posts, read 225,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The operative word I used is some. I'm familiar with some of the conflicts and the types of things that are said I have an uncle with family in São Paulo and my family members in Portugal employ Brazilians. Actually I know a number of Brazilians that are quite fond of Portugal it really depends what type of Brazilians you interact with. I should say most of the people I communicate with online live in Portugal and Brazil.

Anyway just think about it would you have more in common with a group of Brazilans if you choose to go out to dinner with them or a group of Norwegians. I have no doubt I would have endless topics I could speak with the Brazilians and that they would be warm and welcoming. The Norwegians on the other hand are not warm it's like mixing oil and water then what would we talk about.
Yeah, I guess you're right. But again, as you said, it depends on what kind of people you interact with.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:52 PM

23,062 posts, read 13,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
What do Spaniards have in common with Norwegians but not with Peruvians about these things?
Everything except language and religion.

The European way of life. The European mentality. The European reality the South Americans may never understand.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM

11,522 posts, read 13,225,303 times
'Hispanic' refers to a derivative of Spanish culture.

'Spanish culture' is intrinsically European.

Thus, culturally, Spain is inherently European as it cannot be derivative of itself.

Therefore, the question is nonsensical.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:49 PM

439 posts, read 216,535 times
Not sure if troll thread.

Also, notice that the OP never posted again ITT. And look at his/her nickname.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:50 PM

2,162 posts, read 624,011 times
A wise Spaniard once told me that "manana was invented in Spain" while we were waiting for something to be done on time.

Spain has more in common with Latin American culture than many care to admit. The whole think with your heart thing is all over the Mediterranean and Latin America, but it dang sure isn't in Norway.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 PM

265 posts, read 65,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelous6977 View Post
After spending time in several Spanish speaking countries in SouthAmerica, one of the first things I realized is that this hispanic "thing" is only relevant in the US.

Most Spanish speakers in South America don't even know they're supposed to be hispanics. Not even in Mexico which is next door to the US you'd hear people calling themselves hispanics/latinos.

I guess the term Hispanic was coined by the liberals to divide the people.

Actually there is a practical question. When you claim to be Hispanic you are considered underrepresented minority in college admission, thus you can take advantage of affirmative action.

Immigrants from Mexico do qualify, apparently. But what if your parents came from Spain? Does it make you Hispanic? The other very obvious fact to keep in mind is, you won't be considered minority if your parents are white European.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:04 PM

265 posts, read 65,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Not sure if troll thread.

Also, notice that the OP never posted again ITT. And look at his/her nickname.

I plan to move to Spain after a few months.

I have accepted the offer but the visa takes time, meanwhile, I'm learning Spanish language and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World