U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:12 AM

643 posts, read 251,166 times

Advertisements

Instead, I'd ask whether Latin America is currently more influenced by its European or Indigenous history. I suppose that would vary hugely based on which country we're analysing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 05:35 AM

1,659 posts, read 674,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Culturally, Europe and Latin America don't seem to be very similar.
They're quite similar. Especially in a global context. A lot of the bureaucratic nonsense and laissez-faire attitude comes directly from Spain and Portugal. Last I checked Spain and Portugal are European.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:38 AM

2,493 posts, read 826,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Instead, I'd ask whether Latin America is currently more influenced by its European or Indigenous history. I suppose that would vary hugely based on which country we're analysing.

Other than some very rural indigenous groups, Latin American culture is clearly more influenced by North America and Europe. It's not really even debatable. Obviously some countries more so than others, but even in places like Bolivia or Chiapas, MX, I'd say that my statement is accurate.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 AM

1,368 posts, read 1,354,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
They are very obscure concepts and I doubt I or anybody else can give a satisfactory answer. But the truth is that Spaniards and Norwegians are used to a society and way of life which is somewhat uniform in Western Europe. Sure, there are vast cultural differences, but the structures and framework is mostly similar.

A Peruvian living in a mountanious village is living in a totally different society and reality than the Spaniard. They might share the language, but that's likely the only thing they will have in common.

Crappy example, but whatever. You teleport a Spaniard to a Norwegian bar. He instinctively knows that it's not not allowed to smoke. Teleport him to a Peruvian bar, and he will probably have to ask and watch and learn. These are the small subtle commonalities.
Then you teleport the Norwegian into Spain to talk with a police officer. He will know what to expect and how the police reacts. With the Peruvian cop, who the hell knows.
I don't know your experiences with Peruvians and Spaniards, but I cannot agree with this. I can speak for Brazil and I tend to think that Peru is not so distinct, but I know Europe enough to notice that, for example, Italians are much more like us than they are like Germans. Even in Europe we can notice distinctions. While in Vienna and Munich there are no ticket gates in the metro stations, London has them in both arrival and departure, and in Paris I notice people jumping over the gates for not paying the transport fee - somewhat I never in my life saw in São Paulo.

What countries in Europe share in common amongst them and not with Latin America is the average income and educational level, much higher in Europe than here, but these aspects are circumstantial and may change over the time.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 03-07-2017 at 08:04 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 AM

5,004 posts, read 2,054,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
It's the idea that they're tolerant, not racist, they don't stereotype, and are very open-minded. All this while believing that they are the better than the rest of the world. Us outsiders would never understand how and why this is not hypocrisy. The only way to understand is with their superior intellect.
thanks for typing exactly what I had in mind and somehow could not phrase the right way.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 AM

As for being european, I don't really know.

I am French and I have befriended southern americans more easily than I have with some eastern europeans. Then I currently work with chinese, african, moroccans or southern indian people and I usually try to think about the things in common more than about the differences.

I do feel strongly european though, probably more than I feel French, but I mostly think in terms of open-mindness, and I guess most people who emigrate to another country learn something about letting the differences enter and not being judgemental. I believe anyone who spends valuable time in a foreign country, even the one next door, is somehow more sensitive about finding out what is interesting in other countries / cultures.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 AM

1,476 posts, read 451,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Everything except language and religion.

The European way of life. The European mentality. The European reality the South Americans may never understand.

South America is more Europe-centric than the US, that's for sure. Elites were always frenchified.
Spain is only Europe-centric since a few decades ago. Not long ago, Europe was considered another continent..which is absurd.
We were the "spiritual reserve of the world", "the only country not invaded", etc.
Spain was more like a continent by itself that lived in isolation and that has changed a lot, so for people above a certain age Spanish America sound more familiar than modern Spain.
An Italian from Venice told me the same thing, he felt more at home in Latin America because it was more similar to Italy before the brutal development, EC, etc.
As to Hispanic thing, one of those things that make people think that Americans are stupid.
Now.......... a Norwegian or Dutch more similar in culture to Spanish than a Peruvian, Argentinian or Mexican....really, of course not..jaja.
Religion? Catholicism is more of a culture than a religion.

Last edited by karstic; 03-07-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 07:52 AM

2,493 posts, read 826,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
South America is more Europe-centric than the US, that's for sure. Elites were always frenchified.
Spain is only Europe-centric since a few decades ago. Not long ago, Europe was considered another continent..which is absurd.
We were the "spiritual reserve of the world", "the only country not invaded", etc.
Spain was more like a continent by itself that lived in isolation and that has changed a lot, so for people above a certain age Spanish America sound more familiar than modern Spain.
An Italian from Venice told me the same thing, he felt more at home in Latin America because it was more similar to Italy before the brutal development, EC, etc.
As to Hispanic thing, one of those things that make people think that Americans are stupid.
You are downplaying North American influence on Latin American cultures, especially in more recent times. Whether it be clothing, malls, a developing suburban car culture, or a general attempt at emulating North American culture, the influence is strong. This will vary from country to country and obviously Spanish influence (excluding Brazil) is stronger than North American influence, but they are moving in the direction of North America more so than Europe. Outside of Spain, Portugal, Italy and France, I'm not sure there's much influence in Latin American culture at all. Perhaps some pockets of German and English, but not on a large scale.

As for thinking that Americans are stupid, proceed at your own peril. Many Europeans have a silly habit of confusing being voluntarily simple with stupidity. The two are not interchangeable.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 AM

1,476 posts, read 451,923 times
We are as americanised too, so americanised that I feel that some Spanish-American countries are more Spanish than Spain itself, their Spanish is old, so many of their customs. There are also attempts to emulate European culture, and is vastly more important. Their way of life, their vision of the world is more European. For Europe, US is like China except NY.

Latin American is an extension of Europe, no matter race or older cultures, the US is a REACTION against Europe created by religious crackpots that were being persecuted by the Inquisition and moderate Protestants.

And again, language is very important but culture, catholic culture..nothing to do with religious mumble-jumble but with history, Roman past, traditions, festivities,,,is even more important.

Last edited by karstic; 03-07-2017 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 AM

clothing, malls, suburban car culture and the use of english language are pretty widespread in Europe as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World