U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 03:34 PM

5,428 posts, read 4,356,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
clothing, malls, suburban car culture and the use of english language are pretty widespread in Europe as well.
You do realise that English IS a European language don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 03:54 PM

22,471 posts, read 13,176,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
But why are you going to extremes, choosing a Peruvian from a rural area to compare to a Spaniard? Why not say a middle class Peruvian from Lima?

Will you have things in common with a rural American farmer in Kansas?
A middle-class Peruvian from Lima, why not.

Look, I have very few experiences of Southern Americans, but I have a lot of experiences with Spaniards. Though there are many differences, there is a certain type of understanding and agreement I cannot explain. Maybe it's unconcious, but every single time I interact with Spaniards though vast cultural differences it's really easy to find common ground with them. I would say that apart from Scandinavians, Germans and Dutch, the Spaniards are maybe the easiest to get along with. The Mexicans again will call the cops if they see a lone child commuting to school. (True story.)

IDK if I've told this one before, but I was in Barcelona with my ex girlfriend. We visited the same corner store every day to fetch some waters and snacks, and in Finnish culture you usually greet the shop clerk with a hello when you step in. My ex GF stepped in one morning and said a loud "hola". Everyone but the clerk (a Chinese) turned their face and replied with a "hola". In Finland only the clerk would reply to a "moi" and all others would ignore the whole episode.

That was the biggest culture shock we got, and oh did we laugh a lot about it.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:33 PM

3,251 posts, read 1,854,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
A middle-class Peruvian from Lima, why not.

Look, I have very few experiences of Southern Americans, but I have a lot of experiences with Spaniards. Though there are many differences, there is a certain type of understanding and agreement I cannot explain. Maybe it's unconcious, but every single time I interact with Spaniards though vast cultural differences it's really easy to find common ground with them. I would say that apart from Scandinavians, Germans and Dutch, the Spaniards are maybe the easiest to get along with. The Mexicans again will call the cops if they see a lone child commuting to school. (True story.)

IDK if I've told this one before, but I was in Barcelona with my ex girlfriend. We visited the same corner store every day to fetch some waters and snacks, and in Finnish culture you usually greet the shop clerk with a hello when you step in. My ex GF stepped in one morning and said a loud "hola". Everyone but the clerk (a Chinese) turned their face and replied with a "hola". In Finland only the clerk would reply to a "moi" and all others would ignore the whole episode.

That was the biggest culture shock we got, and oh did we laugh a lot about it.
Well I understand what you are saying, and this is why I think it's important to travel, meet people, talk to people, etc...Many times you will find commonalities with people you would never think you had anything in common with.

Spain is European, and some Spaniards may have more in common with a Norwegian than with a Peruvian from a rural area. Sure, why not? I have found to have alot in common with Bulgarians and Iraquis.

I didn't understand your Mexican comment.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:29 AM

1,270 posts, read 321,360 times
In Spain, Norwegians are roughly the equivalent of a Peruvian that lives in the "Altiplano" and does not speak Spanish, but Quichua and eat those rodents, guinea pigs. The only diference is that Norwegians are an oil producing country and are rich, and a beer in their country cost 10 Euros or more..so they drink. Their women might be better looking for sure, as Andeans are not precisely a standard of beauty....but many of their women dress in a homely manner and are feminists, or too manly or just strange.

I have Swedish family, and as beautiful as they were until they died of cirrhosis, I must say they were as Spanish as Japanese. Not Japanese, because many Japanese become more Spanish than Spanish themselves, they even dance Flamenco and count the exact number of shrimps in a paella marinera, fascinating people.

For some strange reason, Russians are similar to Spanish in many ways, which is quite odd.

Spain was a country ridden by an important inferiority complex, and many went for the "Europe" thing 35 years ago, but now many find that the Europe thing is not Spanish and people are going back to origins.

For some "progressive" people, talking about a community of 400 million people that speaks the same language and shares the same culture is "Fascist", but those progressives are schizoid and curiously are financed by Venezuela.

For Americans, Hispanics are Mexicans, they seem obsessed with Mexicans and they complain about illegal Mexicans, which seems strange for a country were a third of their territory belongs to Mexico. A distopia. Just as when French complained about the excessive number of Algerians in the French province of Algeria.

And yes, Spain is Hispanic, the name of the former Roman province, as Italians are Italics, French are Gallics, British are Britannic, Germans are Germanics and Scandinavians are Hyperboreans. Hispanic comes from Phoenician Span, Spania, land of the rabbits. Also called Iberia, that comes from the name of Ebro river.

Last edited by karstic; 03-08-2017 at 03:52 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
How the heck can "crackpots" be persecuted by "moderates"? If one group is persecuting another based on their religious beliefs, they are by definition a crackpot. Moderates don't persecute anybody, at least by my definition of moderate.

There was a religious war in Europe, not only Catholics against Protestants, but Protestants against many extremist protestant sects, many of which ended in the 13 colonies.

Call them "the establishment" or "mainstream", say Anglicans, against Puritans, etc.

There was no freedom of religion in Europe, that was why one of the founding principles of the US Constitution was freedom of religion.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM

8,728 posts, read 4,744,275 times
Is Italy more Mediterranean or more European?

Is Lebanon more Levantine or Middle Eastern?

Is water more wet or moist?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:21 AM

22,471 posts, read 13,176,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I didn't understand your Mexican comment.
There was a Mexican girl who came here to study. Soon after she moved, she saw a young 1st or 2nd grader kid going to school. She was apparently from a quite unsafe area herself, so she thought the young girl was lost or something and called the cops. The kid knew a few words of English and said she's only going to school. In the girl's area in Mexico kids going to school unaccompanied was a big no-no.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM

1,312 posts, read 494,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Is Italy more Mediterranean or more European?

Is Lebanon more Levantine or Middle Eastern?

Is water more wet or moist?
God bless the Aussie spade hahaha

Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 PM

4,266 posts, read 1,700,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You do realise that English IS a European language don't you?
yes, and ?

Old 03-09-2017, 03:13 AM

There are areas in Spain were kids go accompanied by security staff. I'm referring to private and walled communities outside of Madrid. Just like colonias in DF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World