Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:27 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Everything except language and religion.

The European way of life. The European mentality. The European reality the South Americans may never understand.
You still didn't reply my question. What is the European way of life, what is the European mentality, and what is that so obscure European reality which we, South Americans, are - God knows why - not able to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
You still didn't reply my question. What is the European way of life, what is the European mentality, and what is that so obscure European reality which we, South Americans, are - God knows why - not able to understand?
It's the idea that they're tolerant, not racist, they don't stereotype, and are very open-minded. All this while believing that they are the better than the rest of the world. Us outsiders would never understand how and why this is not hypocrisy. The only way to understand is with their superior intellect.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Brazilians are not very fond of Portugal and some Portuguese don't like Brazil, so...
I've never met a Brazilian that dislikes Portugal or the Portuguese. Here where I live Brazilians hang out at the few Portuguese restaurants that still exist. From what I've seen, there's a comradery and friendship between the two.

As for the person who said Spaniards have more in common with a Norwegian than with a Peruvian, please, don't make me laugh.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:59 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
A wise Spaniard once told me that "manana was invented in Spain" while we were waiting for something to be done on time.

Spain has more in common with Latin American culture than many care to admit. The whole think with your heart thing is all over the Mediterranean and Latin America, but it dang sure isn't in Norway.
Of course there are similarities. There are also many layers to Latin American cultures that people don't know about and don't care to inform themselves about.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I guess the term Hispanic was coined by the liberals to divide the people.
The term Hispanic dates to the 1580s (whence it was borrowed from the classical Latin Hispanicus) so yeah, maybe some ancient Roman liberals coined it.

It first appears in American English to refer to Spanish speaking Americans in the 1880s.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Culturally, Europe and Latin America don't seem to be very similar.

But Spain is definitely a part of Europe and a part of Hispanic world. Is Spanish culture the mix of European and Hispanic culture?
Hispanic/Spanish Culture is European.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
European overall though latin america has the mutually intelligible language.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:01 AM

502 posts, read 655,194 times
all over is a nonsensical questions that only works when having pre-assumptions on what European and Hispanic means. You can define Spain as both European and Hispanic, because it is both in a way, but it also depends on what you mean by European and what you mean by Hispanic.

Most stats made by EUROSTAT reveal that Spanish people are kind of average European for most issues. And there are clear connections to all Spanish-speaking countries (to some of them more than to others, of course).

Religion as said before is not a thing that join Hispanic-America and Spain. While Spain is one of the most non-religious countries on Earth (in line with most European nations), Hispanic-America is one of the most religious areas of the world.

Also, there are big differences among countries in Hispanic-America and within regions in Spain, so you cannot say Spain is closer to Hispanic-America without talking about a region or a country... Madrid would feel close to Buenos Aires to me, in architecture, way of living, both are big metropolis of the world... etc. But it has nothing to do with a little peasant village in the middle of Honduras...

Old 03-07-2017, 03:22 AM

595 posts, read 719,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
Hispanic is US term, nobody in Europe would use term hispanic.
Spain's National Day is called Hispanic Day (Día de la Hispanidad) so at least some people in Europe use it

Old 03-07-2017, 03:46 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
They are very obscure concepts and I doubt I or anybody else can give a satisfactory answer. But the truth is that Spaniards and Norwegians are used to a society and way of life which is somewhat uniform in Western Europe. Sure, there are vast cultural differences, but the structures and framework is mostly similar.

A Peruvian living in a mountanious village is living in a totally different society and reality than the Spaniard. They might share the language, but that's likely the only thing they will have in common.

Crappy example, but whatever. You teleport a Spaniard to a Norwegian bar. He instinctively knows that it's not not allowed to smoke. Teleport him to a Peruvian bar, and he will probably have to ask and watch and learn. These are the small subtle commonalities.
Then you teleport the Norwegian into Spain to talk with a police officer. He will know what to expect and how the police reacts. With the Peruvian cop, who the hell knows.

Last edited by Ariete; 03-07-2017 at 03:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World