Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:17 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times

Advertisements

European, without a doubt. Why do Americans seem to think that Spain is basically a mini-Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 03:30 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Tacos is Spain are not that hot.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 AM

595 posts, read 719,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
There are areas in Spain were kids go accompanied by security staff. I'm referring to private and walled communities outside of Madrid.
No.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:58 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Yes, gated and walled communities around Madrid, kids are taken to their international schools in safeguarded buses. Just like Colonias in Mexico DF.

I forgot, Marbella.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:04 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
European, without a doubt. Why do Americans seem to think that Spain is basically a mini-Mexico?
If UK is a mini US, why can't Spain be a mini Mexico?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Tacos is Spain are not that hot.
When I lived in Spain Mexican food was horrible, an abomination. Even in the supermarket's 'Mexican' products were Tex-Mex products from the US.

Hopefully it has gotten better.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:32 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I guess the term Hispanic was coined by the liberals to divide the people.

Actually there is a practical question. When you claim to be Hispanic you are considered underrepresented minority in college admission, thus you can take advantage of affirmative action.

Immigrants from Mexico do qualify, apparently. But what if your parents came from Spain? Does it make you Hispanic? The other very obvious fact to keep in mind is, you won't be considered minority if your parents are white European.
Coined "by the liberals"? GoodHombre - listen to trump much?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:06 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Coined "by the liberals"? GoodHombre - listen to trump much?
Some people can't help themselves they have to inject politics into every conversation. This thread was likely started by someone who has little to no knowledge about the cultures he or she is commenting on to make points that belong in the politics section. I'm watching it looks like a duck and is starting to quack like one.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Is culturally Portugal more European or more Brazilian?
Is culturally Britain more European or more North American?

In the truth the influence of USA in UK is heavy so the influence of Brazil in Portugal nowadays but Spanish American in Spain not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Brazilians are not very fond of Portugal and some Portuguese don't like Brazil, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The operative word I used is some. I'm familiar with some of the conflicts and the types of things that are said I have an uncle with family in São Paulo and my family members in Portugal employ Brazilians. Actually I know a number of Brazilians that are quite fond of Portugal it really depends what type of Brazilians you interact with. I should say most of the people I communicate with online live in Portugal and Brazil.

Anyway just think about it would you have more in common with a group of Brazilans if you choose to go out to dinner with them or a group of Norwegians. I have no doubt I would have endless topics I could speak with the Brazilians and that they would be warm and welcoming. The Norwegians on the other hand are not warm it's like mixing oil and water then what would we talk about.

Brazilians don’t hate Portuguese people they hate the Portuguese colonial politics that left problems in Brazil not solved until today specially slavery.
So the dynamic in Brazil is different because most Brazilian are full or at least partial Portuguese ethnic, so it is not like a colonized people who hate the master.
Is more or less like say Hey cousin! We split the land (country) in two and you left me with the problems… Specially because we look to the closest countries (Argentina, Uruguay and Chile) and they don’t have this problem.

If for a economic power like USA is hard to solve inequality hand down from slavery…
In Brazil when slavery ended up here was tried mix all the blacks with poor whites waiting don’t have problem like happened in Haiti. The problem of black revenge yes was solved because we don’t have that here but not the social and economic because both whites and blacks were unlettered poor.

But all that is history Brazilians talk about that with Portuguese to have subject… Like people when with Americans talk about their wars around earth and blame their government.
Is not ethnic or nationality hate.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:38 PM

34 posts, read 48,907 times
Why would Spain be like Mexico?

Expecting Spain to look exactly like Mexico because Spain colonized Mexico, it's like expecting the UK to look exactly like India because the UK colonized India.

Mexico is generally only known through stereotypes. Tacos, Speedy Gonzalez, big sombreros, spicy food. (Americans are far more familiar with Mexicans and their culture than Spaniards are)

Spaniards are, and see themselves as Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World