Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 08:28 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,423,773 times

Advertisements

I came here just to see how a thread with such a ridiculous title was still topping the page and guess what?!! People of city-data ware discussing about "races"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 AM

986 posts, read 863,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
In the English speaking countries they define race different to be honest I find their definition quite "racist" if you call someone white in Brazil it is because they look white, in the USA and other Anglo countries according to rednecks white means absent of "contamination"(non-white). In the English speaking world historically there was a huge effort to keep the "races" separate so that the "purity" of the white race wouldn't be contaminated. The whole vocabulary is loaded.
Many white Brazilians have this mindset, for example, when dating people find out if the boyfriend/girlfriend have all him/her grandparents or grand-grandparents from Europeans countries or colonial Portuguese ‘’quatrocentões’’ traditional families who did not mix in colonial epoch but it is just said in closed groups of friends. I was horrified with a girl who told me that she aborted a baby because she got pregnant of non-white guy last year.

Here is different from USA if Brazilians talk about that or only name someone black or monkey and the person feels offended and complains in the police office the person is arrested immediately.

10 years ago a Argentinean football player of Quilmes in a game in Sao Paulo against Sao Paulo FC was arrested inside the game field because the TV showed him offending a black Sao Paulo player (Grafite) naming him ‘’monkey’’.
The Argentinean was handcuffed inside the game field just the match finished and it is pretty normal in Brazil, happen all the time and I never know about similar repression of racism like we have in Brazil in another country in whole world.

http://esporte.uol.com.br/futebol/ul...ta-10-anos.htm

I am Brazilian but I think Brazilians are not that superior talking about racism but the strong law helps a lot.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,423,773 times
Being half of the population in the "pardo" category it's quite obvious that miscigenation is not a issue like in many other places on earth. And it has been happening since the slavory time, when law didn't "help" at all.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:49 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,826,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Many white Brazilians have this mindset, for example, when dating people find out if the boyfriend/girlfriend have all him/her grandparents or grand-grandparents from Europeans countries or colonial Portuguese ‘’quatrocentões’’ traditional families who did not mix in colonial epoch but it is just said in closed groups of friends. I was horrified with a girl who told me that she aborted a baby because she got pregnant of non-white guy last year.

Here is different from USA if Brazilians talk about that or only name someone black or monkey and the person feels offended and complains in the police office the person is arrested immediately.

10 years ago a Argentinean football player of Quilmes in a game in Sao Paulo against Sao Paulo FC was arrested inside the game field because the TV showed him offending a black Sao Paulo player (Grafite) naming him ‘’monkey’’.
The Argentinean was handcuffed inside the game field just the match finished and it is pretty normal in Brazil, happen all the time and I never know about similar repression of racism like we have in Brazil in another country in whole world.

http://esporte.uol.com.br/futebol/ul...ta-10-anos.htm

I am Brazilian but I think Brazilians are not that superior talking about racism but the strong law helps a lot.

This is horrible it's worse than I thought. It's better in Portugal even though there is racism there but generally if a black person has good manners and speaks good Portuguese they are accepted well. It's a different case for those that don't fit in. Mixed couples are not uncommon there. It seems to me that the former colonial countries have more issues with color in some cases.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,315,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Greeks are very different people to the Dutch. These two groups won't feel connected with each other just because both are Caucasian.

There are major differences in language, culture and overall mindset.

I think it's only America that overlooks ethnocultural identities and instead sorts groups into very simple racial categories (e.g. white, black).

The obsession Americans have with race still confuses me. I don't see races as homgenous groups.

Ginger Malkovian again!!

Old 03-15-2017, 01:52 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,698,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This is horrible it's worse than I thought. It's better in Portugal even though there is racism there but generally if a black person has good manners and speaks good Portuguese they are accepted well. It's a different case for those that don't fit in. Mixed couples are not uncommon there. It seems to me that the former colonial countries have more issues with color in some cases.
Are Blacks, or other minorities in Portugal doing well economically?

Old 03-15-2017, 02:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,826,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Are Blacks, or other minorities in Portugal doing well economically?

I don't live in Portugal and don't have any statistics but my impression is that it really varies based on their social class. Those that are educated and from former Portuguese colonies fit in better. It seems to me that certain groups are doing better than others such as Goans and Cape Verdeans. The Roma on the other hand and aren't doing well.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:51 PM

34 posts, read 48,427 times
Colombians don't feel kinship with Spain, to Colombians Spain is just a European country that gets mentioned during history lessons.

Come think of it, Colombians are probably more focused on the US than on their neighboring countries. Colombians on average have more links to the US than to Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Venezuela, whether because of family, or because they've visited, or because they've lived there.

One cannot deny the enormous American influence in Colombia especially because of the nature of the history of Colombia "the US is written on just about every chapter".
(The average Colombian at this point has been to the US as a tourist, or a temporary visitor, or even a migrant) while the average Colombian has never been to any neighboring country in Latin America much less Spain.

The average Colombian is more familiar with Americans (They are the biggest nationality when it comes to tourism in Colombia and the nationality they marry the most), than they are with "I don't know.... Panamanians or Chileans or Mexicans. To put in perspective, is much more common to see Americans around a city like Medellin than people of other Latin American nationalities, and Spaniards even less.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:57 AM

1,147 posts, read 712,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Ginger Malkovian again!!
?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:34 PM

871 posts, read 902,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songrant View Post
Colombians don't feel kinship with Spain, to Colombians Spain is just a European country that gets mentioned during history lessons.

Come think of it, Colombians are probably more focused on the US than on their neighboring countries. Colombians on average have more links to the US than to Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Venezuela, whether because of family, or because they've visited, or because they've lived there.

One cannot deny the enormous American influence in Colombia especially because of the nature of the history of Colombia "the US is written on just about every chapter".
(The average Colombian at this point has been to the US as a tourist, or a temporary visitor, or even a migrant) while the average Colombian has never been to any neighboring country in Latin America much less Spain.

The average Colombian is more familiar with Americans (They are the biggest nationality when it comes to tourism in Colombia and the nationality they marry the most), than they are with "I don't know.... Panamanians or Chileans or Mexicans. To put in perspective, is much more common to see Americans around a city like Medellin than people of other Latin American nationalities, and Spaniards even less.
where are you from?

Spain has over 300.000 Colombian born citizens. Proportionally, it's much more than the US, and it's much more than the Colombian community in the rest of Europe combined. Spain-Colombian relationship might not be super strong but it's far from being non-existant. Spain is the most relevant European country for Colombians, for obvious reasons. Spanish companies invest a lot here too.

There were almost as many Colombian immigrants in Venezuela as there are Colombians in the USA. The Colombian-Venezuelan border is the most populated border of South America and there was always a strong exchange between both countries.

Most Colombians haven't been out of the country, it's not a high income country where anyone can travel to the US. Traveling to Panama, Ecuador, Peru, etc, is much cheaper and doable. You just need your I.D. to enter any South American country as a Colombia. USA has strict visa policies for Colombians.

Also, 99% of Colombians don't speak English. A lot of Colombians still listen to music in Spanish exclusively, because of that reason. And of course, there are several Spanish musicians that are very famous here (maybe not so much in the past decade). So is Latin American music (Argentinian tango, Argentinian rock, Mexican and Cuban music in general, etc). We interact much more with people from the Hispanosphere over the internet than with people of the USA because of that language barrier. Many Mexican, Argentinian and even Chilean or Venezuelan tv series had success in Colombia.

What is the "enormous influence" of the USA in Colombia? We have totally different legal systems, we use metric system, etc etc. Americanians don't like football (soccer) or cycling much. Colombians and Spanish do. Colombia is one of the few countries of America (the continent) that still has bullfighting plazas, and functioning ones. Americanians visiting Colombia feel like aliens, this is definitely not the USA 2.0 for them.

Last edited by joacocanal; 03-16-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World