U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:44 AM

15,198 posts, read 32,321,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't see how Internet cafes would improve anyone's quality of life. They were/are always occupied by boys who skip classes. I for one would never go into one and use their computers.

Trains aren't that special either, it's really just America (plus Canada, Australia) that doesn't have any. America is still a lot better in the working department, which is just a total nightmare in Asia. The rote education as well, it's pretty pathetic.
Well, internet cafes, I'm talking about twenty years ago. They are obsolete now. It's just one of many barometers of how far behind the U.S. was even 20 years ago.

Trains. Well, people in the U.S. think they aren't that special, because they don't really use them or have them. But, when you are in a society that uses them efficiently, has money for them, prioritizes them, and on and on...then it makes the U.S. look kind of poverty-stricken and inefficient comparitively.

I get the argument that if you don't have something, then you don't know any better. And anyways, I'm basically just making the argument that as an American who has lived in Asia for 20 years, that certain things in the U.S. look really 'behind'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:49 AM

41,032 posts, read 45,286,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries

1. Switzerland
2. Canada
3. UK
4. Germany
5. Japan
6. Sweden
7. US
8. Australia
9. France
10. Norway

m
One should merely google the population of each of these countries.
Some are smaller than a single state in this country.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM

23,759 posts, read 15,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So what? Did Israel say that "we cannot create a nuclear weapon because we are so small", or did Finland say "we cannot make a cell phone revolution because we are so small", or did India say "we cannot be a democracy because we are so big", or did China say "we cannot reform our economy because we are so big"?

No. They didn't. Saying that "the US is too big for that" is nothing but refusal to reform with the worst excuse there is.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:15 AM

13,499 posts, read 16,180,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Realistically, because the U.S. doesn't have decent infrastructure in place for public transportation, a high-speed train on the northeast corridor is almost useless.

It would have to involve massive parking lots outside each city....and even then, the logistics would just be messy.

I think there is a love for the car (to a certain degree), but I don't think there is any love whatsover for wall-to-wall traffic jams and 2-hour commutes....and I think some stats say that will double in each consecutive decade.

The U.S. will have to address that in some decade, but seems completely uninterested to even consider it at this time.
The main thing that differentiates the U.S. from most other countries is that so many people live in suburban sprawl. The typical American lives in what would be considered a small villa in most other countries. That kind of living arrangement is geared towards car-oriented living. It is simply more convenient - and often less expensive - to drive a car than to take other forms of transportation.

Some cities like New York, Chicago, DC and Boston have good rail transportation. But they are the exceptions. I don't know how you would build a comprehensive high-speed rail network in a country that loves to live in suburban sprawl.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:19 AM

23,759 posts, read 15,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Some cities like New York, Chicago, DC and Boston have good rail transportation. But they are the exceptions. I don't know how you would build a comprehensive rail network in a country that loves to live in suburban sprawl.
Is it really love, or is it because you're forced? I mean, if in the inner cities the safety is bad, the schools are poor, are you really in love with the suburban life or is it forced upon you?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 4,899,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I do not know about that...

1. Switzerland
2. Canada - 36.6 million (#38)
3. UK - 65.3 million (#21)
4. Germany - 80.6 million (#18)
5. Japan - 126.1 million (#11)
6. Sweden
7. US - 326.4 million (#3)
8. Australia - 24.6 million (#53)
9. France - 64.9 million (#22)
10. Norway

20 % have a population over 100 million
50 % have a population over 60 million
30 % have a population under 10 million

Countries in the world by population (2017)

Old 03-13-2017, 01:23 PM

13,081 posts, read 14,408,880 times
Quote:
I live in Macau, and previous to Macau, I was living in Japan and South Korea.

I go back to the U.S. sometimes, but I'm ashamed to tell students of how poor the public transportation is - i.e. non-existent throughout most of the U.S., and most Americans are adamantly against it.
Macau - Area 30.5 km2 / Density 19,390/km2

Japan - Area 377,962 km2 / Density 348/km2

S. Korea - Area 100,210 km2 / Density 519/km2

---------------------------------------------

USA- 9,834,000 km2 / Density 35/km2

I agree that most of the US could stand to improve their public transportation and their attitudes towards it, but this is one of the most inane comparisons I have seen on city-data in quite a while.

Naturally a state occupying a massive continental landmass with a widely dispersed population is going to have infrastructure challenges far different from densely populated insular/peninsular/city-state nations.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The main thing that differentiates the U.S. from most other countries is that so many people live in suburban sprawl. The typical American lives in what would be considered a small villa in most other countries. That kind of living arrangement is geared towards car-oriented living. It is simply more convenient - and often less expensive - to drive a car than to take other forms of transportation.

Some cities like New York, Chicago, DC and Boston have good rail transportation. But they are the exceptions. I don't know how you would build a comprehensive high-speed rail network in a country that loves to live in suburban sprawl.
Well, a lot of cities around the world have suburban sprawl.

What is unique about the United States, is the ZONING and the multitudes and multitudes of single-family homes with large yards. And because of the zoning, pretty much everyone has to get in a car and drive just to get something as basic as a coca-cola.

Living in a suburb of Tokyo is still a pretty damn fantastic existence. You'll still be able to walk to 20 restaurants, 20 convenience stores, on and on. Easily jump on a bus that takes you right to a station.

The United States....you are just isolated isolated isolated.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Macau - Area 30.5 km2 / Density 19,390/km2

Japan - Area 377,962 km2 / Density 348/km2

S. Korea - Area 100,210 km2 / Density 519/km2

---------------------------------------------

USA- 9,834,000 km2 / Density 35/km2

I agree that most of the US could stand to improve their public transportation and their attitudes towards it, but this is one of the most inane comparisons I have seen on city-data in quite a while.

Naturally a state occupying a massive continental landmass with a widely dispersed population is going to have infrastructure challenges far different from densely populated insular/peninsular/city-state nations.
The poster was asking where I live in Asia. I answered him. Public transportation was one of about 5 answers I gave him/her.

Regardless of why public transportation sucks in the United States, let's not fool ourselves into thinking it doesn't suck.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:54 AM

1,333 posts, read 507,239 times
Quote:
The poster was asking where I live in Asia. I answered him. Public transportation was one of about 5 answers I gave him/her.

Regardless of why public transportation sucks in the United States, let's not fool ourselves into thinking it doesn't suck.
It is clear you created this thread to lessen and demean the US. So no mater what defense anyone gives? You will knock it down. It all just sucks. Really though- to use cell phones to lessen the US says it all.

To reply will gain. It still sucks..... why bother then? Yet so many of our used cell phones. End up in Asia. But still it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World