U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 02:59 AM

1,707 posts, read 952,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Russia seems to be a perfect choice for Americans these days.
So does Mexico.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:14 AM

4,071 posts, read 919,735 times
Wow, you leftists have really become hysterical. You better build yourself an Ark before Trump brings about the next Great Flood!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:36 AM

910 posts, read 2,266,534 times
If the US devolves into a totalitarian state, it's likely that it will be forbidden to take dollars out of the country and applying for a passport will be seen as treasonous. Those millions of people you refer to, lokkeroutter, will be going nowhere. Anybody who thinks this is the future needs to leave now while they still can leave and take their assets with them. I doubt if we will see more than a trickle - it's not so simple to move anyway.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:46 AM

13,992 posts, read 5,212,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm in China and doing quite well. My wife and I would like to purchase property in Australia in the near future and possibly send our daughter to middle and high school there.

We would also like to have something to go back to in the US, but as much as I love it there, the longer that I'm away, the harder the thought of moving back and getting back into life there is.
We've thought a lot about parts of Europe--Malta, Portugal, Spain, but haven't thought about Australia. Do you know what the COL is over there?

Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,970,719 times
US totalitarian state? Huh? What are you talking about? Why should the US turn into something like that? Maybe it has never been more far away from that, than it is today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarianism

Quote:
Totalitarianism is a political system in which the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible. A distinctive feature of totalitarian governments is an "elaborate ideology, a set of ideas that gives meaning and direction to the whole society"
Exactly that is what the US is NOT doing, unlike other countries.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:35 AM

4,071 posts, read 919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
US totalitarian state? Huh? What are you talking about? Why should the US turn into something like that? Maybe it has never been more far away from that, than it is today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarianism

Exactly that is what the US is NOT doing, unlike other countries.
I'm never fail to be amazed by how loosely people throw around terms such as Totalitarian, Authoritarian, Nazi, Communist, Fascist, etc.

So many people are familiar with these words, yet have no idea what they actually mean.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:04 AM

34 posts, read 9,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokkeroutter View Post
Well, the party is over here in the USA. The question is, where will smart, well to do Americans take off to? I don't mean the spoiled celebrities or the rich single playboys, I mean people with means but just want to live a normal life?

Yes, America is still keeping most of it's people. But the signs are everywhere, and we now have politicians saying totalitarianism is on the way.

So, with that said, where will all these millions go when the country completely unravels? Perhaps Australia or Argentina?

These would be people who work and are not looking to move, but they are going to be forced to go soon.
Ironically enough.... MEXICO

I can see millions of Americans moving to Mexico in order to stay close to home, live in an environment that is somehow familiar to them, and enjoy the cheaper, more relaxed way of life.

I can also see many Americans venturing into South America (Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Chile), buying land and settling there in peace and quiet. (Plenty of American retirees already do)

I can also see a certain portion of Americans going to European countries (but I think for not long as Europe seems to be on the same road the US is traveling on)

Asia might interest some, some American blacks might go to the motherland (Africa)

many youngsters might move to Canada.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 AM

6,992 posts, read 6,564,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Wow, you leftists have really become hysterical. You better build yourself an Ark before Trump brings about the next Great Flood!
I laughed.

As if anyplace is going to be a nirvana in the future - that includes Europe & Scandinavia.

Australia & New Zealand aren't dumb enough to let everybody in. They've got a good thing going for themselves.

In the meantime the hysterical fear mongers can now join the redneck prepper crowd. This might be a good opportunity to invest in underground McMansion bunker stocks.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 AM

9,464 posts, read 11,273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
We've thought a lot about parts of Europe--Malta, Portugal, Spain, but haven't thought about Australia. Do you know what the COL is over there?
Sydney and Melbourne will offer absolutely no relief over major North American or European cities - they've been near the top for a few years now... housing prices are insane.

However, places like Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra, etc aren't bad, and you can still find good deals in the suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne.

The cost of most goods is higher than the US, but the pay is also generally higher. Entry level and minimum wage jobs pay a pretty fair wage versus the US, so people can actually afford things. Doesn't mean too much to me owning businesses in Asia, but, I have a lot of Aussies who want to partner and/or franchise... on the one hand, my wages will be higher and so I have to pass that on to the cost of my goods, but more people can afford to purchase them.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,251,378 times
You folks that are leaving the USA, are you going to give up your citizenship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World