U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:32 AM

346 posts, read 238,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I would think that conservative Christians would be the opposite of what the OP is asking about which is enlightenment.
That's the view among the general public, but it's generally misinformed or outdated. Among academics, the secular world view has been on the wane for more than a generation and considered far from "enlightened".

Old 03-15-2017, 09:12 AM

14,850 posts, read 30,253,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Based on your experiences, where do you personally believe are the most enlightened cities in North America
and the rest of the world?

By "enlightened", I am referring to intelligent/aware, possibly creative, open-minded and just an overall sense of rational, independent thinking that doesn't follow the herd mentality.

Curious to see some input. Thanks!
In North America? Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, New York, and Washington DC (not including the White House or elected officials). I'd also add all of Canada's major cities - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

In Europe. I'd say London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam...and others...that list could go for awhile. But, generally the cities that are a bit more north and a bit more west....with some exceptions of course.

I'm speaking to a predominately euro-centric western-centric audience here...so I'll stop right there...people get real uppity if you mention anywhere outside of those two continents.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM

16,286 posts, read 21,734,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
I've been a member of the science/STEM community for pretty much all of my adult life. It's as biased, petty, frivolous, closed-minded and dogmatic as any floridly partisan political group in the world. The only difference is that, at least until recently, they did a better PR job of hiding their undesirable tendencies from the unwashed masses.

Neither is physical science, especially of the type that warrants Arctic/Antarctic research, the most intellectually rigorous domain of knowledge. Not by a long shot. That honor belongs to analytic philosophy, followed probably by the more abstract subsets of mathematics.
True. I was more making a joke than anything.

People suck, regardless of where you are.

Also, most people who consider gloat on the fact of how open minded they are, are most likely horrible offenders of being close minded.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:26 PM

482 posts, read 247,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In North America? Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, New York, and Washington DC (not including the White House or elected officials). I'd also add all of Canada's major cities - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

In Europe. I'd say London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam...and others...that list could go for awhile. But, generally the cities that are a bit more north and a bit more west....with some exceptions of course.

I'm speaking to a predominately euro-centric western-centric audience here...so I'll stop right there...people get real uppity if you mention anywhere outside of those two continents.
Even in those cities there are plenty of brain dead stupid people there, the only real difference between places like Toronto/San Francisco/Washington, DC and places like Sudbury, ON or Fort Wayne, IN is that they are usually more left of center politically. Europe and even Australia/New Zealand do have a few advantages over North America though since people there tend to be much more well traveled than North Americans in general and as a result are much more inclined to follow and discuss world affairs.

Last edited by beasley106; 03-16-2017 at 05:40 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 06:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 739,238 times
"Enlightened city" in America 0_0? Country where the most atheistic city has 80% religious people, imagine the most religious ones. Western Europe is also too far right to be "enlightened".

Anyway, the most englishtened will some areas on the Levant ("cradle of civilization") especially Israel and to an extent Lebanon. Japan, China too(excluding their waged war on dogs and reluctance to abandon commie bull****). Possibily part of the balkans and also Italy.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:19 PM

7,847 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
"Enlightened city" in America 0_0? Country where the most atheistic city has 80% religious people, imagine the most religious ones. Western Europe is also too far right to be "enlightened".

Anyway, the most englishtened will some areas on the Levant ("cradle of civilization") especially Israel and to an extent Lebanon. Japan, China too(excluding their waged war on dogs and reluctance to abandon commie bull****). Possibily part of the balkans and also Italy.
The Levant? you mean the part of the war tearing each other apart in a brutal war?
Isreal? You mean the country with a right-wing government who steal land?
The Balkans? The place where genocide took place 20 years ago?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 PM

1,364 posts, read 739,238 times
[quote=paull805;47533811]The Levant? you mean the part of the war tearing each other apart in a brutal war?
Isreal? You mean the country with a right-wing government who steal land?
The Balkans? The place where genocide took place 20 years ago?[/QUOT

Balkan is geographical term that includes >80% of Greece(excluding the islands). I can't help if the West thinks not in terms of geography but in terms of "serbian pro-russians", "bulgaria and romania" and "our favorite greece which has nothing in common with the rest".
Israel stealing land? Lol, typical antisemite that defends christian/islamic geocentric theories over a country with >20% nobel laureats and 1t in the world in startups/capita.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:36 PM

57,098 posts, read 46,431,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Based on your experiences, where do you personally believe are the most enlightened cities in North America
and the rest of the world?

By "enlightened", I am referring to intelligent/aware, possibly creative, open-minded and just an overall sense of rational, independent thinking that doesn't follow the herd mentality.

Curious to see some input. Thanks!
If there are any in N America, they're in Canada. The US has entered the Dark Ages.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:38 PM

57,098 posts, read 46,431,293 times
Reikyavik?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:44 PM

7,847 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Reikyavik?
That's what I said. They seem to have their ***** together up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World