Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you think is the most technologically advanced?
Japan 141 46.38%
China 6 1.97%
South Korea 12 3.95%
Singapore 5 1.64%
Finland 5 1.64%
Germany 6 1.97%
France 4 1.32%
United Kingdom 8 2.63%
United States 99 32.57%
Australia 1 0.33%
Italy 0 0%
Switzerland 2 0.66%
Russia 3 0.99%
Other (specify) 12 3.95%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nothing stopping them from building their own (presumably better) jet fighters, bombers, tanks, artillery, and ships. Except that if the U.S. is gonna do it for them, then why not save a few yen?
Exactly...

Quote:
And who's fault is that?
It's no one's fault. It's how globalization and capitalism supposed to work...

Quote:
The cars built by Ford and GM have improved in quality and those built today are better than those built by Honda and Toyota about 10 years ago. Problem for Ford and GM is that Honda and Toyota build even better cars now. As for full-size trucks on the other hand...
Japanese manuafacture better cars, even better than the europeans; hence the superb reliability and durability. My 2004 VW Passat has more problems than my 2001 IS 300. Design and manufacturing/production are two different things...

Quote:
Your like a guy that drives forward looking in the rearview mirror

Stop looking for old japaneese cars, their like a bic lighter, after the last flick you throw them away. They have no soul or value to collectors, no one restores them. I drive a 2.3 ford ranger manual, best milage you can get out of a pickup. But like a bic lighter, a japaneese car is slightly more reliable and lasts a little longer. They get good gas milage, thats what people want. Thats what detroit needs to do, right after they start saving 50% on their employees health insurance. Or should I say national health care plan, that were gonna steal from japan.

It doesnt have to raise taxes, japan saves on their plan because they cut out all the gravy suckers. And they pick their own doctor, get more scans, live longer, and have private owned hospitals. American medical salaries should fall in line europe and japan. You should be in that field because you want to help sick people, not for the fat pay. If your in it for the money and sending lobby to congress to protect your gravy, then hit the road. Caps on malpractice suits and drug profits, dump insurance companies and hospital administrators. Perhaps every country could start paying 2% of their healthcare budget for R&D instead of it falling on US patients.

About education, I said it was the PUBLIC schools that are failing, the university system is fine. You did know that Bill Gates dropped out of college, Im not giving them any credit for Bill. But our public schools suck and you cant go to college with an average IQ and a 6th grade education. How is japan and germany teaching their kids better on less money ? Lets copy them and use it to our advantage.
That's so true...

Japan invests in technology and science R&D, where US have to pay billions of $ for costs associated with illegals...

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 78,329 times
Default My point exactly on your Number 2

Your number 2 below is the perfect example of what I am saying. You are correct in that statement and the same goes for the U.S. Think of American electronics, televisions, radios, phones, refrigerators, etc. that were made in America before American companies had to compete with the Japanese companies and their cheap prices for cheap stuff.
They lasted way longer than anything today. Japan has cheapend everything as I stated before and American companies are forced to do the same because of consumers perceptions, let me tell you something, cheaper isn't better it's cheaper.

You're number 1 is absolutely ludricrous though, WWII proved that and why don't they make great military weapons for the U.S. if they can do it. They are allowed to make military stuff for us but they cannot achieve the level. We are light years ahead of them and the rest of the world, same goes for aerospace. They don't have a chance with aerospace or aeronautics.

Your number 3, well I've owned 6 foreign cars in my life, 1981 Toyota Celica- literally rusted out by 1992 and I was constantly fixing the damn thing. I would have loved to still have that car and looked for one in excellent condition when mine was no longer servicable to replace it with, I had no luck. They just didnt last much longer. VW Golf - best foreign car I ever had, absolutely no maintance and it had 440,000 miles on it when I sold it, it still ran but was very ragged but with that many miles on it what could I expect. I decided that at 300,000 miles on it I'd just drive it with no maintance until the wheels fell off. I got another 140,000 miles on it without changing the oil or anything until I sold it. It still ran strong when sold!!!1985 Nissan Pulsar NX - engine blew on this with only 77,000 miles on it. 1990 Mazda MX6 Gt Turbo - turbocharger blew on this with only 60,000 miles on it, 2500 repair bill, a 1998 Dodge Avenger made by Mitsubishi - honestly was one of the best cars I ever owned foreign or domestic and I've had about 25 cars, it didn't break anything other than
the exhaust had to be replaced, 7 yearsand 180,000 miles, I know I could have kept it another 5 at least but sold it instead, just wasn't roomy at all.
I also owned a Ford Probe with the Mazda built drivetrain and had to replace the transmission twice in it and now I have a 2004 Korean made Chevy Aveo that has 50,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems so far. Out of those 5 foreign cars the only ones that really gave me problems were the Japanese cars. I maintain my cars, I own an autoparts business and can't for the life of me figure out how people can think Japanese autos are better.

See I don't buy only American or only imports but am able to make a great comparison because I do buy and drive both and can honestly say there is no way that the Japanese autos have been any better than the American ones. I've never had to replace an engine, transmission or turbocharger on an American car though and they haven't rusted near as bad as the Japanese autos, they have the same features, get nearly the same fuel economy, though I buy mostly GM products and will not buy a Chrysler built product because of fuel economy issues. Yeah the Toyota and HOndas get 1-2 miles more on fuel economy on comparable models with GM, I ain't that worried about 1-2 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
1. Japanese would build a far more superior military technology than the US if only they aren't banned from doing so due to WWII.

2. Japanese electronics last longer back in the days b/c the parts were made in japan. These days most of them are made in China. QA/QC aren't as good.

3. True that in the old days American cars are reliable, but that's b/c there wasn't that much electronics and fancy stuff in them. However, Japanese auto are more reliable TODAY. They learned from the US, and has been improving since back then.
US auto industries can't manufacture cars. Every time I look at Ford and GM, I always think it's a miracle b/c they haven't gone bankrupt yet. It's just not reliable.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM

Default I guess it's just you then

My public schools are fine. Take out the inner city kids from all those test scores and see for yourself. Our schools are great to the point that it is upsetting that when they go to college they are reviewing what they have already learned and had success in. Our schools are so good and if the kids want to use them to their advantage they don't have to take the same college level courses. That's right. 28 college credit hours when they leave our public high school. Those are classes they won't have to repeat at the university level. They have taken advantage of the great education system of our public schools. The test scores you refer to include all kids whether they want to learn or not, they even include the mentally retarded children in the averages because of the no child left behind policy. How can my kids learn and excel in public high school courses like trig, calculus, algebra, physics, chemistry, etc... if their is a problem with our public education system? The problem is with the parents and the kids who do not bother to take advantage of it, not with the schools. That is what makes things different from other countries, it does not mean our schools are broke. It means some of our countries citizens morals are broke. They care too much about the now, not the future and want to many times things handed to them. You get in life what you put into it. Teach your children that and you'll see how great our schooling system is.
You still have not answered the question,

If our education system is so bad how come we lead the world in military technology, space exploration, new technologies and healthcare advances?

and Agriculture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Your like a guy that drives forward looking in the rearview mirror

Stop looking for old japaneese cars, their like a bic lighter, after the last flick you throw them away. They have no soul or value to collectors, no one restores them. I drive a 2.3 ford ranger manual, best milage you can get out of a pickup. But like a bic lighter, a japaneese car is slightly more reliable and lasts a little longer. They get good gas milage, thats what people want. Thats what detroit needs to do, right after they start saving 50% on their employees health insurance. Or should I say national health care plan, that were gonna steal from japan.

It doesnt have to raise taxes, japan saves on their plan because they cut out all the gravy suckers. And they pick their own doctor, get more scans, live longer, and have private owned hospitals. American medical salaries should fall in line europe and japan. You should be in that field because you want to help sick people, not for the fat pay. If your in it for the money and sending lobby to congress to protect your gravy, then hit the road. Caps on malpractice suits and drug profits, dump insurance companies and hospital administrators. Perhaps every country could start paying 2% of their healthcare budget for R&D instead of it falling on US patients.

About education, I said it was the PUBLIC schools that are failing, the university system is fine. You did know that Bill Gates dropped out of college, Im not giving them any credit for Bill. But our public schools suck and you cant go to college with an average IQ and a 6th grade education. How is japan and germany teaching their kids better on less money ? Lets copy them and use it to our advantage.

Thats what its about, who's doing it better, copy and impliment ASAP. The hell with people who have a monopoly at your forced expense.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,074 times
our system is fine the only difference that in japan people don't live in homes like we do. Which is why it may seem they have the most technologically advaned things which isnt true. we have the same things its just economics that rules.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,191 times
Quote:
If our education system is so bad how come we lead the world in military technology, space exploration, new technologies and healthcare advances?
As posted above... they're trying to save money by not investing in military technology since we're paying for it...

Quote:
See I don't buy only American or only imports but am able to make a great comparison because I do buy and drive both and can honestly say there is no way that the Japanese autos have been any better than the American ones.
I used to own a 91 camry with 300,000 miles on it... no problem... had a 89 golf with 200,000 miles, no problem. i'm only saying that japanese cars are more reliable based on jd power rating...

Quote:
How can my kids learn and excel in public high school courses like trig, calculus, algebra, physics, chemistry, etc... if their is a problem with our public education system?
Public schools nowadays are too concern in teaching the students what's politically correct, rather than what's useful such as math and science...

Old 07-23-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Please read the JD Power rankings before assuming you know what you're talking about

Maybe you should check JD Power rather than assume because of your belief especially if you plan on using it as an argument. That is what is wrong with import buyers, they THINK because they own it and heard it was better than it is so. Stop trying to dog American quality and be proud of what is American and you may change perception of yourself and others.

This was pulled straight from the JDPowers website, I sure don't see much of a difference except that there are more American companies in the top 10 and less Japanese ones and more Japanese in the bottom 10 than American ones. You have proved my point and this is the longest JDPower chart there is, it goes 3 years out. IF they went further you'd even see more American models at the top and less Japanese ones. And please check that website, every category they list shows there is nothing wrong with American car quality.

2007 Vehicle Dependability Study

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-23-2008 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Read our copyright policy before posting non-original material

Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Also don't know what the schools around you are teaching

Not teaching math and science???
Man my kids are in honor classes and in high school they learn more than ever in these areas. If kids aren't learning it it is not because of the school, it is the kids. I wouldn't dare tell my children they have easy education, I myself think what they do is a little bit much but I am older and don't understand all the match and science they learn. Wow to underscore our countries math and science and blame it on the schools is unbelievable. Blame the kids who don't put into the work and their parents who don't bother them, don't blame the teachers or schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
As posted above... they're trying to save money by not investing in military technology since we're paying for it...

I used to own a 91 camry with 300,000 miles on it... no problem... had a 89 golf with 200,000 miles, no problem. i'm only saying that japanese cars are more reliable based on jd power rating...

Public schools nowadays are too concern in teaching the students what's politically correct, rather than what's useful such as math and science...

Old 07-23-2008, 05:44 PM

Seriously people, besides the car industry(not the truck industry) and televisions and cheap electronics what does Japan really do better than the U.S. techology related? They haven't designed anything new and useful that you use everyday such as the pc, the internet, the television, the cell phone(not their network, the country is the size of California, if we only had to cover that area ours would be as good as theirs also and to top it off they use American technologies for their cellular network) or anything and they really haven't made anything better. Look at the list below and ask yourself.

Apple vs. Sony Pc

John Deere vs. Kubota

Harley vs. Honda

Ipod vs. iriver

Iphone vs. Nokia

GM truck vs. Toyota truck

Ford truck vs. Nissan truck

Gm truck vs. Nissan truck

Ford truck vs. Toyota truck

Corvette vs. 350Z

Taurus vs. Camry

Canon vs. Sony digital cameras

Bose speakers vs. Kabuki

Garmin vs. Shimizu

U.S. built planes vs. Japanese planes

NASA vs. JAXA

Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times

With parts made in Japan.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM

Default Thats a big news alert, almost everything is made elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post

With parts made in Japan.

Look at each parts origin on foreign and domestic parts and you'll find China, Japan, USA, Korea, on and on. Whether your talking motorcycles, cars, refrigerators, tv's. We're not talking where are things assembled and made or China would be king of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World