U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 AM

1,965 posts, read 851,828 times

Advertisements

Saw this documentary about the world's largest factory and it is really impressive how China is able to keep extremely production levels with low automation.Now the question is, with minimum wage increasing, how long will that be economically sustainable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7fPsw5ubI8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 09:55 PM

5,308 posts, read 11,465,479 times
Default I avoid products made in China...

I avoid products made in China, not because I buy American, but because of inferior quality. Anything I buy that comes from China is always sub par. It is unavoidable of course, but when I am holding something and there are other products to choose from, China always has the crappiest product. The other products almost always cost more, but as the old saying goes, 'you get what you pay for'.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:39 PM

30,028 posts, read 46,126,593 times
You must be doing some magic, because nowadays is extremely hard to avoid products made in China. In most cases there is nothing made somewhere else, except you privately import that item just for yourself.
And many products not made in China are assembled from parts /ingredients made in China.
Right now China is still keeping low prices by using manpower, but that is changing slowly. They will rise the prices knowing their domination on the market, and limited alternatives consumers will have.

Here is a list of products still made in the USA - it looks short and sad
Products Made in the USA Directory | Americans Working
THE List of American Made Companies - USA Love List
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-22-2017, 10:59 PM

1,965 posts, read 851,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You must be doing some magic, because nowadays is extremely hard to avoid products made in China. In most cases there is nothing made somewhere else, except you privately import that item just for yourself.
And many products not made in China are assembled from parts /ingredients made in China.
Right now China is still keeping low prices by using manpower, but that is changing slowly. They will rise the prices knowing their domination on the market, and limited alternatives consumers will have.

Here is a list of products still made in the USA - it looks short and sad
Products Made in the USA Directory | Americans Working
THE List of American Made Companies - USA Love List
I think China will step over to the automation "department"

Old 04-22-2017, 11:04 PM

They will have to. The demand they created is just very challenging.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-salaries.html

I feel sorry with all the workers that will lose their jobs.
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-26-2017, 03:21 AM

5,369 posts, read 5,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I avoid products made in China, not because I buy American, but because of inferior quality. Anything I buy that comes from China is always sub par. It is unavoidable of course, but when I am holding something and there are other products to choose from, China always has the crappiest product. The other products almost always cost more, but as the old saying goes, 'you get what you pay for'.
They make high quality products too, but American companies often don't order them, because American customers don't buy them. Don't forget many American companies directly have factories in China as well.

Nowadays nobody keeps a pair of shoes for 5 years, for example. When something stops working, people don't try fixing it anymore but just get a new one. The key is to have a fashionable design, not a longlasting one.

Some Chinese airlines already started to fly made-in-China airplanes. I guess the stereotype will be gone in one decade or two.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 AM

Sure they make high quality products, but it will take very long time till customers trust get restored.
They did too much too cheap and cheated badly. That ruined their reputation that is now difficult to repair.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:03 AM

4,554 posts, read 4,295,862 times
Frankly, I don't mind the Made in China label. As others have pointed out already, literally everything is produced here. Even the iPhone I'm using right now. So I don't think that Chinese products are inherently worse or of lower quality.

That said, products originally designed or developed in China can be a bit iffy at times, but that is changing rapidly as we speak. Good examples are DJI, de facto market leaders in drone technology, and Huawei, manufacturers of abysmal smartphones in the past, but now quite usable.

A driving force for more innovation is the Chinese consumer market itself. They don't buy the cheapest of the cheapest anymore. So we will see improvement in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World