U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:03 AM

672 posts, read 676,456 times

Advertisements

I don't see this analogy between Chicago and Toronto.

Ya, both cities are on the Great Lakes but that's about it. Totally different histories, architecture, demographics, and Chicago is a declining city while Toronto is expanding in population and stature at an incredible rate. This is to say nothing of the fact that Chicago has massive swaths of the city that are in urban decay, grinding poverty, and Chicago is an extremely violent and socially stratified city while Toronto is quite the opposite.

Besides being NA cities on a lakefront, I think the two have remarkably little in common. This is why I said Sao Paulo for a Chicago twin.............both large important corporate and transportation centres that are both plagued by high crime, poor civic services, clear racial and ethnic divides, and grotesque socio-economic stratification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 01:59 AM

20,664 posts, read 62,251,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Its not rocket science
Why would I think of Tokyo when I think of New York?

Old 04-30-2017, 06:02 AM

10,174 posts, read 10,044,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Why would I think of Tokyo when I think of New York?
I don't know because i can't read minds.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:46 AM

284 posts, read 190,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I couldn't think of another city to compare Miami to, Rio de Janeiro is too big and too picturesque, Seoul is too cold, Valparaiso was alraedy taken by San Francisco, so Maceio it was for me
Rio de Janeiro is not much larger than Miami, and it actually seems smaller when you're there. Rio might have a slightly larger population, but that is because it is very dense with all the favelas.

If you visit both cities you'll see Miami appears much larger and more spread out. Of course I'm talking about the entire Miami metro area, not just the city proper.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:51 PM

9,988 posts, read 4,068,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Not really. To the east of the Gold Coast lie Melanesia and Polynesia, to the west is the Australian mainland, and to the north is Asia.
The populated parts of Asia are well to the north of Gold Coast. Gold Coast is at 28°S, while the Javanrse peninsula (closest densely populated part of Asia) is at 6°-8°S. That's like the difference between Tampa and Medellín. Melanesia and Polynesia are both very sparsely populated. It's not quite the Perth level of isolation, but still

Old 04-30-2017, 04:15 PM

595 posts, read 326,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The populated parts of Asia are well to the north of Gold Coast. Gold Coast is at 28°S, while the Javanrse peninsula (closest densely populated part of Asia) is at 6°-8°S. That's like the difference between Tampa and Medellín. Melanesia and Polynesia are both very sparsely populated. It's not quite the Perth level of isolation, but still
In Melanesia and Polynesia you'll find some of the most beautiful scenery and diverse cultures on the planet. The fact that they're not overcrowded or full of slums is a positive.

And how far is Tampa from Miami anyway....

Old 04-30-2017, 06:00 PM

1,857 posts, read 818,782 times
He is talking about Tampa to Medellin Colombia. Which is 1000-5000 miles at least.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 AM

2,432 posts, read 3,229,704 times
Lets start with the U.S.

New York City - London
Los Angeles - Mumbai
Chicago - Moscow
Dallas - Beijing
Houston - Lagos
Washington D.C. - Brussels
Philadelphia - Edinburgh
Miami - Dubai
Atlanta - Frankfurt
Boston - Amsterdam
San Francisco - Hong Kong
Phoenix - Cairo
Detroit - Vladivostok
Seattle - Tokyo

Old 05-01-2017, 01:26 PM

17,778 posts, read 22,091,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I don't see this analogy between Chicago and Toronto.

Ya, both cities are on the Great Lakes but that's about it. Totally different histories, architecture, demographics, and Chicago is a declining city while Toronto is expanding in population and stature at an incredible rate. This is to say nothing of the fact that Chicago has massive swaths of the city that are in urban decay, grinding poverty, and Chicago is an extremely violent and socially stratified city while Toronto is quite the opposite.

Besides being NA cities on a lakefront, I think the two have remarkably little in common. This is why I said Sao Paulo for a Chicago twin.............both large important corporate and transportation centres that are both plagued by high crime, poor civic services, clear racial and ethnic divides, and grotesque socio-economic stratification.
I don't think the point of the thread is to find (near indentical) "twins" for each city.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Status: "Achilles is in your alleyway, he doesn't want me here" (set 7 days ago)

17,860 posts, read 17,296,144 times
New York City - Bangkok
Los Angeles - Marrakesh
Chicago - Minneapolis
Dallas - Lisbon
Houston - Nice
Washington D.C. - Singapore
Philadelphia - Amsterdam
Miami - Copenhagen
Atlanta - Mexico City
Boston - Lima
San Francisco - Olongapo
Phoenix - Seoul
Detroit - Frankfurt
Seattle - Madrid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World