U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2017, 12:03 AM
 
Location: BC Canada
831 posts, read 818,681 times
Reputation: 1106

Advertisements

I don't see this analogy between Chicago and Toronto.

Ya, both cities are on the Great Lakes but that's about it. Totally different histories, architecture, demographics, and Chicago is a declining city while Toronto is expanding in population and stature at an incredible rate. This is to say nothing of the fact that Chicago has massive swaths of the city that are in urban decay, grinding poverty, and Chicago is an extremely violent and socially stratified city while Toronto is quite the opposite.

Besides being NA cities on a lakefront, I think the two have remarkably little in common. This is why I said Sao Paulo for a Chicago twin.............both large important corporate and transportation centres that are both plagued by high crime, poor civic services, clear racial and ethnic divides, and grotesque socio-economic stratification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2017, 01:59 AM
 
Location: Sweden
21,948 posts, read 63,917,017 times
Reputation: 17351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Its not rocket science
Why would I think of Tokyo when I think of New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,249 posts, read 11,048,135 times
Reputation: 4706
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Why would I think of Tokyo when I think of New York?
I don't know because i can't read minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood/Miami
368 posts, read 275,274 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I couldn't think of another city to compare Miami to, Rio de Janeiro is too big and too picturesque, Seoul is too cold, Valparaiso was alraedy taken by San Francisco, so Maceio it was for me
Rio de Janeiro is not much larger than Miami, and it actually seems smaller when you're there. Rio might have a slightly larger population, but that is because it is very dense with all the favelas.

If you visit both cities you'll see Miami appears much larger and more spread out. Of course I'm talking about the entire Miami metro area, not just the city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 01:51 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,076 posts, read 5,171,977 times
Reputation: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Not really. To the east of the Gold Coast lie Melanesia and Polynesia, to the west is the Australian mainland, and to the north is Asia.
The populated parts of Asia are well to the north of Gold Coast. Gold Coast is at 28°S, while the Javanrse peninsula (closest densely populated part of Asia) is at 6°-8°S. That's like the difference between Tampa and Medellín. Melanesia and Polynesia are both very sparsely populated. It's not quite the Perth level of isolation, but still
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 04:15 PM
 
783 posts, read 448,378 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The populated parts of Asia are well to the north of Gold Coast. Gold Coast is at 28°S, while the Javanrse peninsula (closest densely populated part of Asia) is at 6°-8°S. That's like the difference between Tampa and Medellín. Melanesia and Polynesia are both very sparsely populated. It's not quite the Perth level of isolation, but still
In Melanesia and Polynesia you'll find some of the most beautiful scenery and diverse cultures on the planet. The fact that they're not overcrowded or full of slums is a positive.

And how far is Tampa from Miami anyway....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
2,700 posts, read 1,182,349 times
Reputation: 1617
He is talking about Tampa to Medellin Colombia. Which is 1000-5000 miles at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 AM
 
2,547 posts, read 3,458,074 times
Reputation: 2914
Lets start with the U.S.

New York City - London
Los Angeles - Mumbai
Chicago - Moscow
Dallas - Beijing
Houston - Lagos
Washington D.C. - Brussels
Philadelphia - Edinburgh
Miami - Dubai
Atlanta - Frankfurt
Boston - Amsterdam
San Francisco - Hong Kong
Phoenix - Cairo
Detroit - Vladivostok
Seattle - Tokyo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
19,384 posts, read 24,207,657 times
Reputation: 7691
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I don't see this analogy between Chicago and Toronto.

Ya, both cities are on the Great Lakes but that's about it. Totally different histories, architecture, demographics, and Chicago is a declining city while Toronto is expanding in population and stature at an incredible rate. This is to say nothing of the fact that Chicago has massive swaths of the city that are in urban decay, grinding poverty, and Chicago is an extremely violent and socially stratified city while Toronto is quite the opposite.

Besides being NA cities on a lakefront, I think the two have remarkably little in common. This is why I said Sao Paulo for a Chicago twin.............both large important corporate and transportation centres that are both plagued by high crime, poor civic services, clear racial and ethnic divides, and grotesque socio-economic stratification.
I don't think the point of the thread is to find (near indentical) "twins" for each city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Status: "Like their father or their dog just died" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Bel Air, California
19,653 posts, read 19,191,813 times
Reputation: 29978
New York City - Bangkok
Los Angeles - Marrakesh
Chicago - Minneapolis
Dallas - Lisbon
Houston - Nice
Washington D.C. - Singapore
Philadelphia - Amsterdam
Miami - Copenhagen
Atlanta - Mexico City
Boston - Lima
San Francisco - Olongapo
Phoenix - Seoul
Detroit - Frankfurt
Seattle - Madrid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top