U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-11-2017, 04:37 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
5,055 posts, read 1,556,019 times
Reputation: 3042

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
The Western and Eastern mind set/ cultures are two different for any one city to be the capitial of the world.
Isn't Istanbul historically known as Constantinople and Byzantium, supposed to be the city where East meets West. An impressive historic trading city, although I am not keen on the current Turkish Leader Erdoğan and the country of Turkey as a country beyonf Istanbul seems more Eastern than Western with only 5% of the country being in Europe and the other 95% being part of East Asia, whilst the Turkish population is 95% Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: USA
3,218 posts, read 2,569,649 times
Reputation: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Isn't Istanbul historically known as Constantinople and Byzantium, supposed to be the city where East meets West. An impressive historic trading city, although I am not keen on the current Turkish Leader Erdoğan and the country of Turkey as a country beyonf Istanbul seems more Eastern than Western with only 5% of the country being in Europe and the other 95% being part of East Asia, whilst the Turkish population is 95% Muslim.
Great point since Istanbul is where both the East and West meet. Unfortunatelywestern mind set of most great world cities seems to a very superficial representation (fashion)of Western foundation and has nothing to do with democrarcy/governance of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,121 posts, read 1,161,648 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh matron! How very 'Carry On'! :-D
Cue - Sid James laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,121 posts, read 1,161,648 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Isn't Istanbul historically known as Constantinople and Byzantium, supposed to be the city where East meets West. An impressive historic trading city, although I am not keen on the current Turkish Leader Erdoğan and the country of Turkey as a country beyonf Istanbul seems more Eastern than Western with only 5% of the country being in Europe and the other 95% being part of East Asia, whilst the Turkish population is 95% Muslim.
You presumably mean (far) West Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
5,055 posts, read 1,556,019 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
You presumably mean (far) West Asia.


Is Turkey Asian or European?

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-12-2017 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,210 posts, read 10,399,572 times
Reputation: 4633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Turkey is considered as mainly being East Asian.
How? Its the most Western located country in Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
5,055 posts, read 1,556,019 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
How? Its the most Western located country in Asia.
I meant West Asian, it was always seen as the gateway to Asia from Europe. It was where East meets West and vice versa.

Western Asia - Wikipedia

Silk Road - All About Turkey

Trade with the East is increasing indeed London saw it's first direct train from China arrive earlier this year.

China's first direct freight train to UK arrives in London - ITV News

All aboard the China-to-London freight train - BBC News

Direct train from the UK to China arrives in Eastern city of Yiwu | Metro News


Last edited by Brave New World; 05-12-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2017, 03:01 PM
 
51 posts, read 19,250 times
Reputation: 51
London - powerful, center of the universe in more ways than one, global influence, mecca for everything.

NYC second but it's mostly due to finance.

Tokyo is catching up though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2017, 03:26 PM
 
894 posts, read 518,200 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyKeagz View Post
London - powerful, center of the universe in more ways than one, global influence, mecca for everything.

NYC second but it's mostly due to finance.

Tokyo is catching up though...
Singapore and Hong Kong also.

1. London 782 13
2. New York City 780 14
3. Singapore 760 8
4. Hong Kong 755 7
5. Tokyo 740 6

(Z/Yen Global Financial Centers Index, March 2017)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2017, 03:33 PM
 
51 posts, read 19,250 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Singapore and Hong Kong also.

1. London 782 13
2. New York City 780 14
3. Singapore 760 8
4. Hong Kong 755 7
5. Tokyo 740 6

(Z/Yen Global Financial Centers Index, March 2017)
This is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top