U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 04:29 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,247,948 times

Advertisements

NYC and nothing else. I mean, it is not my favorite city. But whenever I am there, I feel that it is the center of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 AM

1,847 posts, read 1,054,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Eh? Where have you heard this?? For a city its size London is an incredibly safe city, why on earth do you think its becoming 'dangerous'?
Movies like Rock n Rola and "London has fallen" .

Old 08-11-2017, 04:37 AM

899 posts, read 521,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
NYC and nothing else. I mean, it is not my favorite city. But whenever I am there, I feel that it is the center of the world.
New York is a great city, but it has far too many infrastructural problems to feel anything like the center of the world to me.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:44 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,247,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
New York is a great city, but it has too many infrastructural problems to feel like center of the world to me.
Sure it has infrastructure problems. But this is not a part of my vote, it is rather kind of background stuff. Center of the world rather contains economical (Wall Street), political (UN, biggest city of the most powerful nation), cultural (shows, movies), fame (how many people have been there and know it), language (biggest english speaking city, which is the worlds most important language).

The center of the world is certainly not perfect and does not have perfect infrastructure. On the other side, having great roads, public transport etc. does not make a world capital city.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:48 AM

899 posts, read 521,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Sure it has infrastructure problems. But this is not a part of my vote, it is rather kind of background stuff. Center of the world rather contains economical (Wall Street), political (UN, biggest city of the most powerful nation), cultural (shows, movies), fame (how many people have been there and know it), language (biggest english speaking city, which is the worlds most important language).

The center of the world is certainly not perfect and does not have perfect infrastructure. On the other side, having great roads, public transport etc. does not make a world capital city.
This would have been the kind of thing to say in the middle of the 20th century, perhaps up to the 1980s. There have been other threads covering finance, cultural power and the relevance of the UN that imply that this kind of view is outdated today.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:39 AM

6,194 posts, read 5,014,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Movies like Rock n Rola and "London has fallen" .
I'm surprised you haven't mentioned 28 Days Later too! :-D

Old 08-11-2017, 09:24 AM

7,294 posts, read 7,038,362 times
Luckenbach, Texas of course.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:35 AM

1,617 posts, read 1,492,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
If you need to boast for London? Why bring in Chicago NOT in contention here. Its gang violence is bad in those notorious neighborhoods. It's a vibrant city with much contribution to the modern era and a booming core.

Maybe you feel Chicago warrants contention? I wouldn't be so bold to say a Houston would..... that's for sure. NYC still steals the limelight when a US contender is in the mix. I'd say stick to it to compare stats to London. Chicago metro still has nearly 10 million people. Under 3-million in the city proper.

But Chicago remains one of my favorite Big US cities....
I don't believe Chicago deserves to be mentioned in a topic about the 'capital of the world' unless you were referring to the 'crime capital of the world' .

Old 08-13-2017, 02:42 PM

1,342 posts, read 515,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I don't believe Chicago deserves to be mentioned in a topic about the 'capital of the world' unless you were referring to the 'crime capital of the world' .
If you read the thread and why my reply ..... because someone mentioned Chicago crime as a vs. London as to bolster London at a Chicago's expense. I then ASKED THEM if Chicago was a contender here to mention it here? Of course it isn't.

I added only NYC probably is a contender (for the US). So to compare London to NYC. I then added 2 pictures showcasing the impressive city of Chicago's core (as a positive for the gangland crime in its notorious few neighborhoods interjected).... Again, NOT as claiming it as a contender here .... at all. But to NOT keep it merely seen and known for gangland murders. It has a GDP greater then many nations and in Global matters a Global city. But NOT as a Capital of the world city. OK

Otherwise I would not have added my comment on Chicago or interjected it into this thread. I will hold back my other comment... to your - crime Capital of the world label .... AS BAITING. Off topic enough for the thread.

Last edited by DavePa; 08-13-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 04:01 PM

6,168 posts, read 8,520,252 times
Default What city deserves to be recognized as the "Capital of the World"? (centers, title)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
What city deserves to be recognized as the "Capital of the World"?

Exactly as the title reads. Make your arguments. Based off credentials or logistics or placement or influence or history or whatever, what city deserves to gain the unofficial recognition as the world's capital?

I wont be making a poll in this thread as a poll only displays finite options, this is an open-ended question, meaning you are free to answer with anywhere so long as you can give a reason why.
Because of the United Nations Headquarters, New York City is the best choice for World Capital.

Weak as it is, the UN is the closest we have to a world government. Most nations have ambassadors and staff there and in contrast to national capitals, they are meeting with each other in contrast to the mostly just one on one meetings in national capitals.

And every year world leaders gather, such as the Prime Ministers of Britain, Australia and India, the Chancellor of Germany, the Presidents of France, Russia, the USA and China etc. and bypass nearby Washington DC to come to New York.

If that is not the World Capital, then we do not have a World Capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World