Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 06:46 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,757,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The above message was made possible due in part to generous funding from the Greater Toronto Board of Trade.
lol as much as I admire KLM's love for the city and as much as it is a growing and appealing all around city, its certainly a good 100 or 200 years away from being the capital of the world. This of course would have to mean the existing top dogs (NYC and London) probably fit the bill the strongest would need to stagnate (Highly unlikely). In addition there are so many other cities rising in prominence stronger than Toronto. Certainly I think if the big two are going to be challenged I don't think it'll come from N.A or even Europe but Asia mmmaybe the M.E - not Tokyo either and probably a Chinese city though i'm keeping an eye on Dubai, Kuala Lumpur and Mumbai!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,685,304 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
lol as much as I admire KLM's love for the city and as much as it is a growing and appealing all around city, its certainly a good 100 or 200 years away from being the capital of the world. This of course would have to mean the existing top dogs (NYC and London) probably fit the bill the strongest would need to stagnate (Highly unlikely). In addition there are so many other cities rising in prominence stronger than Toronto. Certainly I think if the big two are going to be challenged I don't think it'll come from N.A or even Europe but Asia mmmaybe the M.E - not Tokyo either and probably a Chinese city though i'm keeping an eye on Dubai, Kuala Lumpur and Mumbai!
London and New York are congested. Why would you want and old frumpy capital when you could have clean, crisp and new capital . Also Manhattan smell like pee? Not joking. You have to PAY to use toilets in London. Both cities are already crowed. Some times you a little clean space to unwind ! Our city does not smell like pee and in our city you don't need to pay to use the toilet. It is the little things like this that totally ad up !

Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,213,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
London and New York are congested. Why would you want and old frumpy capital when you could have clean, crisp and new capital . Also Manhattan smell like pee? Not joking. You have to PAY to use toilets in London. Both cities are already crowed. Some times you a little clean space to unwind ! Our city does not smell like pee and in our city you don't need to pay to use the toilet. It is the little things like this that totally ad up !
Oh brother, I like a clean and green city myself. But there is far far more criteria here then pay-to-use UK Loo LOL. Just use the Hotel Facilities, fast food eateries to coffee shops that give you a key LOL. At least in NYC....

I'm still waiting for that thread saying Toronto will overtake NYC by maybe 2050 as The Top NA city at least.... . Yep, little things matter (like extras in aesthetics) But even for Toronto? Size matters - height, length and girth too. Maybe too much cold with snow is a reason a city won't rule too? Forget the rest of the criteria .....

Too congested means for density? Fa'geta'bout'it too then.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-02-2017 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:42 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,317,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Do you notice how nobody else disagreed with me except for you.
It's actually been covered elsewhere why simply comparing country versus country is an incorrect way of approaching this question. That's because global connectivity allows some cities to act as a conduit or overflow for economic activity in other countries.

Last edited by Hightower72; 05-02-2017 at 09:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Well there are so many criteria one can use to determine 'capital' of the world. The very notion of a worldwide capital is largely useless. No city is going to have that sort of practical and cultural sphere of influence. If we look at economic clout and global interconnectedness, I think its fair to say NYC and London are probably at the top but to say either would deserve to be called a capital is a stretch and would be for any city both now and into the future. The shoes are way too big to fill and the further away you are the more abstract and behind the scenes any sort of influence becomes. Add to that cultural, linguistic, societal and political differences and it is just an impossible task for there to actually be a 'world' capital. It may make for a paper discussion on a forum but that is about as far as it goes.

At the end of the day, the most important city in the world is the one you live in because it is that place you chose to live. Everything else is immaterial

Last edited by fusion2; 05-02-2017 at 10:05 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 10:27 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Oh brother, I like a clean and green city myself. But there is far far more criteria here then pay-to-use UK Loo LOL. Just use the Hotel Facilities, fast food eateries to coffee shops that give you a key LOL. At least in NYC....

I'm still waiting for that thread saying Toronto will overtake NYC by maybe 2050 as The Top NA city at least.... . Yep, little things matter (like extras in aesthetics) But even for Toronto? Size matters - height, length and girth too. Maybe too much cold with snow is a reason a city won't rule too? Forget the rest of the criteria .....

Too congested means for density? Fa'geta'bout'it too then.
Toronto has 4 seasons. Not as cold as people assume on average and I have never seen a polar bear in my backyard either .

Old 05-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well there are so many criteria one can use to determine 'capital' of the world. The very notion of a worldwide capital is largely useless. No city is going to have that sort of practical and cultural sphere of influence. If we look at economic clout and global interconnectedness, I think its fair to say NYC and London are probably at the top but to say either would deserve to be called a capital is a stretch and would be for any city both now and into the future. The shoes are way too big to fill and the further away you are the more abstract and behind the scenes any sort of influence becomes. Add to that cultural, linguistic, societal and political differences and it is just an impossible task for there to actually be a 'world' capital. It may make for a paper discussion on a forum but that is about as far as it goes.

At the end of the day, the most important city in the world is the one you live in because it is that place you chose to live. Everything else is immaterial
So.... is that a nice way of saying "No" regarding the question lol ?

Old 05-02-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
So.... is that a nice way of saying "No" regarding the question lol ?
The point is i'm not really a fan of designating any city as 'capital' of the world so its hard for me to do that for any city including our own - so yeah the answer is a very Canadian no

Our city Is still awesome though and the important thing is that those of us who live here feel that way and want to make it a better place and just enjoy what it is and what it is becoming. It is not important what some person somewhere else needs to write about it to either denigrate or dismiss it.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:45 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,925,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London does most of it's financial trading with America and Asia.

Britain even established Hong Kong as a financial centre, and London trades in both time zones.

London is much more of an international city than simply a European city.
Which is EXACTLY the point I made about Bradford, New York is no good because its on the 'edge' of the world and most of the world is asleep when people there are awake, for a 'World Capital' you are going to at least need somewhere in the central time zone belt and English speaking is another bonus, hence Bradford which ticks both those boxes and more.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:30 AM

26,955 posts, read 13,205,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Which is EXACTLY the point I made about Bradford, New York is no good because its on the 'edge' of the world and most of the world is asleep when people there are awake, for a 'World Capital' you are going to at least need somewhere in the central time zone belt and English speaking is another bonus, hence Bradford which ticks both those boxes and more.
LOL.

Bradford is a great city, some wonderful architecture, and even has a Little Germany.

http://www.arup.com/%7E/media/Images...mh=800&mw=1000

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-04-2017 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World