U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:36 AM

815 posts, read 471,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you don't like or agree with my answer i'm totally fine with that. I'm also fine with any country doing what it desires with its borders.
Not at all. I agree with you.

The point I'm making is that no-one in their right mind would defend the idea that past trends are a justification for impropriety in the present day. It only obfuscates the answer rather than qualify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 01:48 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,425,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Not at all. I agree with you.

The point I'm making is that no-one in their right mind would defend the idea that past trends are a justification for impropriety in the present day. It only obfuscates the answer rather than qualify it.
It depends on what the trends are telling us. If they are showing that the problem I am defining is outdated than i'm going to want to use that information to come up with a better solution. Perhaps even a cheaper one that won't damage relations.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
It depends on what the trends are telling us. If they are showing that the problem I am defining is outdated than i'm going to want to use that information to come up with a better solution. Perhaps even a cheaper one that won't damage relations.
This is a relevant reply to the question: "How would you solve the problem of illegal migration?" And in that sense, I agree. We'd want to look at past trends and study them very carefully, be considerate of local customs and political rationales and so on.

But that's not what Winterfall was trying to ask, as far as I can tell.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
This is a relevant reply to the question: "How would you solve the problem of illegal migration?" And in that sense, I agree. We'd want to look at past trends and study them very carefully, be considerate of local customs and political rationales and so on.

But that's not what Winterfall was trying to ask, as far as I can tell.
Well he went off an a irrelevant tangent with his question whatever he meant. I have no clue what he meant by robots in Canada. From what I know, automation is no more or no less responsible for a decline in manufacturing jobs in Canada than any other 1st world nation. Even China is losing jobs to countries where it is cheaper to produce goods and automation will impact that country as well.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I have no clue what he meant by robots in Canada.
I think he meant that automation reduces the need for undocumented migrants to do menial jobs, irrespective of country.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:40 PM

1,748 posts, read 957,861 times
China are getting there but they need 2 things to be considered world's top power:

1. Influential brands (like Sony, Apple, Tesla etc.)
2. Influential language, spoken outside their borders.

Currently they have only some of the things necessary: big land, populous, nuclear weapons, strong economy, popular culture(slightly debated though...).

They're also competing for the 1st place with the EU, but as the EU is not yet a country it's no match for China. In the upcoming decades I'm also projecting big changes coming to the EU: notably - the western part of it being broken to pieces while V4 will turn the central/south-eastern part of it into closest to world power on par with China.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I think he meant that automation reduces the need for undocumented migrants to do menial jobs, irrespective of country.
automation reduces the need for any worker - undocumented or not to do menial jobs across a host of industries. This is why I think there is going to be a big let down in certain countries when the leadership promises to bring back the old jobs - not going to happen. People need to refocus on new and emerging types of work not what used to be great.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
automation reduces the need for any worker - undocumented or not to do menial jobs across a host of industries. This is why I think there is going to be a big let down in certain countries when the leadership promises to bring back the old jobs - not going to happen. People need to refocus on new and emerging types of work not what used to be great.
This doesn't refute his argument. In fact, as long as you think that automation reduces the need for undocumented migrants (irrespective of whether it also reduces the need for other workers), all you're doing is agreeing with his premise.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
This doesn't refute his argument. In fact, as long as you think that automation reduces the need for undocumented migrants (irrespective of whether it also reduces the need for other workers), all you're doing is agreeing with his premise.
I'm not trying to refute his argument. He isn't posting anymore and you're seemingly speaking on his behalf - are you him? It is ok if you are and if you are just clarify your position thoroughly. You seem to be dancing around things... To be clear, i'm not trying to refute anyone- this is a discussion and i'm trying to understand what people are saying and get clarity while at the same time express my views and answer questions about my country or how I as a Canadian would feel if we were in the same position as the U.S. I'm not in here looking for the jugular so take it easy there Connor McGregor!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to refute his argument. He isn't posting anymore and you're seemingly speaking on his behalf - are you him? It is ok if you are and if you are just clarify your position thoroughly. You seem to be dancing around things... To be clear, i'm not trying to refute anyone- this is a discussion and i'm trying to understand what people are saying and get clarity while at the same time express my views and answer questions about my country or how I as a Canadian would feel if we were in the same position as the U.S. I'm not in here looking for the jugular so take it easy there Connor McGregor!
Does that mean I've managed to get you and Winterfall to actually agree on immigration policy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World