Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Never disputed this.
Don't be coy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No. When you are in the US, you get a US pint. You get exactly what you ordered!
Well, it's almost always cheaper than here, so no worries!

Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I know all three systems. Imperial measurements, US measurement and metric, so I would have no issues ordering anything. US gallons vs Imperial vs litres...not an issue.
That's awesome - but you're the exception, not the rule. Most people aren't comfortable with or that familiar with multiple methods of measurement used in various countries. That goes for Americans, Europeans, etc. Of course, there are some who are (myself included to some extent though now that I live in the US, I haven't had to use much metric so I'd have to brush up on it again to use it in every day life - but it's not difficult so no worries).

Anyway, I'll say to you what I said to Ariete - don't be coy. Here's what you said:

Quote:
They may be familiar with a 2 litre bottle of pop, but somehow for most that doesn't translate into other uses, such as buying gasoline and milk.

I've even told some Americans that they buy pop in the US in litres, and they just blink at me.

Stand by a deli counter in Vancouver and wait for the Americans buying things in metric. Very, very few ask for anything in grams. " What's that in ounces " is what you hear.

Sometimes they try, and ask for 800 grams of sandwich meat. The clerks know enough to show them about 250 and ask do they want more...usually they don't

Maybe it's the cruise ship crowd we get, but it is still not unusual to hear Americans when paying a bill
" is that in American dollars ? "
The reality is that ANY tourist in ANY country that uses a different system of measurement, calendar, currency, etc is going to struggle a bit and sometimes may even appear foolish. They may, in fact, just blink at the natives when confronted. They may order ridiculous sizes of items by mistake. They may try to order in their own system of measurement. And if they're visiting the US from Canada, maybe on a cruise around the Great Lakes or an Alaskan cruise, they may even ask "Is that in Canadian dollars?"

But you're right - maybe it's the cruise ship crowd we get.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, it's almost always cheaper than here, so no worries!
LOL but it's cheaper for a reason. Not that there aren't some good American beers but dang - there are better beers - LOL. Give me a good Black and Tan or a rich Belgian brew any day! 16 oz, 20 oz - I don't care!

Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
So we get ripped off when we order a pint of beer in the States?
Well their pint is their pint I bet though that there must be some Irish Pubs or the like in the US that may serve " a proper pint " .

Here a lot of places illegally advertise on boards or menu's pints that aren't a legal Canadian pint.

This is from 2 years ago. Since then, some have smartened up.

More than half of Vancouver bars aren't pouring real pints

Same in Toronto

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...editorial.html

Whenever I encounter this, I politely tell tell them they are false advertising and should fix it, or I will report them to the Liquor Board

Old 05-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Based on not just this conversation but others as well.

My point stands - take someone who is unfamiliar with the imperial system and let them try their tourist hand in that system - I'm pretty sure you will see the same results. The reason most Americans aren't as proficient in the metric system as Europeans is simple - we're not raised on it. And most Europeans aren't raised on the imperial system. That's it. It's not rocket science, and for that matter, neither is the metric system.
...back up a bit. My response was to Gentoo who stated Americans knew the metric system pretty well.

They don't, hence my stories.

It's not a matter of someone unfamiliar with the US system not knowing it...you've wandered off the topic here.

As for Cruise Ship people, that wasn't a slag, but a description of a type of tourist. I know Canadians who travel that way. They don't get to know the places they go to and may sound well travelled, but they have travelled in a cocoon.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
LOL but it's cheaper for a reason. Not that there aren't some good American beers but dang - there are better beers - LOL. Give me a good Black and Tan or a rich Belgian brew any day! 16 oz, 20 oz - I don't care!
Here they typically ask if you want a large or small glass of beer. They may also ask 12 oz or 20 oz? The 12 oz is like a 350 ml bottle, whereas the 20 is like half a litre.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Here they typically ask if you want a large or small glass of beer. They may also ask 12 oz or 20 oz? The 12 oz is like a 350 ml bottle, whereas the 20 is like half a litre.
Ahem, 568.261 ml's if you please. Slightly over a half litre. Trust me, those 68.261 ml's add up over time.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
There are over 5,000 breweries in America today brewing an estimated 25,000+ beers. I would hope there are at least a half dozen* decent ones.

*dozen - a ridiculous non metric number.

Quote:
Many bars in the US offer a large glass, sometimes called a schooner, that typically holds 24-32 oz. More rare is the yard glass which is even larger. The yard has its origins in England, I believe.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are over 5,000 breweries in America today brewing an estimated 25,000+ beers. I would hope there are at least a half dozen* decent ones.

*dozen - a ridiculous non metric number.

Many bars in the US offer a large glass, sometimes called a schooner, that typically holds 24-32 oz. More rare is the yard glass which is even larger. The yard has its origins in England, I believe.
I've seen schooner here as well, and also sleeve, but they have no legal measurement as far as I know, so it's almost meaningless unless you ask how many ml's it is. For some reason they hate that LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World