Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 07:34 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,346,921 times

Advertisements

It happens in some conservative cities in Turkey such as Erzurum, to get beaten for eating food in Ramadan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erzurum

I live in İzmit. I even drink alcohol in Ramadan. I don't have any problem in İzmit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/İzmit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:20 PM

345 posts, read 266,200 times
In Marrakech you can buy chorizo, iberico ham and sobrasada in a franchise of Spanish porcine products that opens in Ramadan, in the modern neighourhood. No beer in haschisch bars, but really...just by breathing kiff you are walking with round feet.

I don't imagine what the Police Tourist would do to somebody harassing tourists for eating during Ramadan.

I remember there are areas in the US were everybody was on church on Sunday..and you could not buy wine in supermarkets..the blood of our lord..uuuuuuu..What abaout dry zones...that still exist and legal drinking age, 21..poor boys, they'll die of all age before getting drunk.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
In Marrakech you can buy chorizo, iberico ham and sobrasada in a franchise of Spanish porcine products that opens in Ramadan, in the modern neighourhood. No beer in haschisch bars, but really...just by breathing kiff you are walking with round feet.

I don't imagine what the Police Tourist would do to somebody harassing tourists for eating during Ramadan.

I remember there are areas in the US were everybody was on church on Sunday..and you could not buy wine in supermarkets..the blood of our lord..uuuuuuu..What abaout dry zones...that still exist and legal drinking age, 21..poor boys, they'll die of all age before getting drunk.
I am 26 years old. I am Turkish and I live in Turkey ( my own country) but I am not into any religion. I am an agnostic ( closer to being an atheist). Ramadan means nothing to me. In Turkey, there are very conservative cities in where you may have a problem in Ramadan.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 AM

11,556 posts, read 9,270,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
It happens in some conservative cities in Turkey such as Erzurum, to get beaten for eating food in Ramadan.

I live in İzmit. I even drink alcohol in Ramadan. I don't have any problem in İzmit
Erzurum and the southeast part of Turkey seem very very backwards, it´s not surprising

Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,841,227 times
Quote:
I am 26 years old. I am Turkish and I live in Turkey ( my own country) but I am not into any religion. I am an agnostic ( closer to being an atheist). Ramadan means nothing to me. In Turkey, there are very conservative cities in where you may have a problem in Ramadan.
You're on the right step.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:25 AM

10,610 posts, read 15,927,993 times
Did you guys hear about Enes Kanter's (NBA player from Turkey) dad being arrested just because Kanter spoke the truth about Erdogan?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:12 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,510,912 times
Quote:

Sorry for my ignorance, but it's the first time I talk with someone from Turkey, and I have some curiosities.
I know that more than 90% of the population is muslim. How do the people takes the religion seriously?
Do the people pray all the five times each day? Do the people really fast during the Ramadan? Do people avoid listening to instrumental music? What is the impact of religion in the daily life?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:38 PM

10,610 posts, read 15,927,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but it's the first time I talk with someone from Turkey, and I have some curiosities.
I know that more than 90% of the population is muslim. How do the people takes the religion seriously?
Do the people pray all the five times each day? Do the people really fast during the Ramadan? Do people avoid listening to instrumental music? What is the impact of religion in the daily life?
I think Turkey is in the top 5 with most closet-agnostics/atheists in the muslim world.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,969,659 times
Komshia: In Turkey's neighboor countries I've never heard of such issues.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
There are lof of this kind of muslims in Turkey who are muslims when Ramadan month comes. They are muslims for 1 month. When Ramadan comes, they fast during the Ramadan. When Ramadan is over, they drink booze. They go to the Mosque on Friday. They drink booze on Saturday.

When it is Ramadan, they are muslims. When it is Friday, they are muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World