Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:24 PM

210 posts, read 197,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
London has 13 Premier League teams, including the reigning champions. There isn't another city in the world with so many top-level teams. Also, it's possibly the only city in the world that has the infrastructure to host an entire World Cup tournament.
Great infrastructures, immense budgets allowing to attract foreign talents but quite poor at training competitive young players judging by England's performances at international competitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 08:56 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,896,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Great infrastructures, immense budgets allowing to attract foreign talents but quite poor at training competitive young players judging by England's performances at international competitions.
The youth development has decreased recently, despite massive investment. Harry Kane seems to be the only real prodigy at the moment.

Although I don't think this still takes away from London's status as a footballing powerhouse, even if it's not producing the talent, it's certainly attracting it.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:25 PM

57 posts, read 43,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Can you name another city with so many well-known, world-renowned teams?
Madrid or Milano. London has 2 famous teams: Chelsea and Arsenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Madrid
Milan
Sao Paulo
Rio de Janeiro
Barcelona
Munich
exactly!

Old 06-04-2017, 05:26 AM

26,890 posts, read 13,109,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanajuato View Post
Madrid or Milano. London has 2 famous teams: Chelsea and Arsenal.
Tottenham and West Ham are also very famous premier league teams with very impressive histories, as are Crystal Palace, whilst Watford is also very close to London.

Tottenham finished second in the premier league this season, well above Arsenal.

West Ham have recently moved in to the very impressive former 2012 Olympic stadium which has a 60,000 plus capacity and Tottenham will be playing at Wembley (90,000 capacity) next season while there vast new stadium is being completed.

Tottenham Hotspur F.C. - Wikipedia

West Ham United F.C. - Wikipedia

Chelsea F.C. - Wikipedia

Arsenal F.C. - Wikipedia

Crystal Palace F.C. - Wikipedia

Watford F.C. - Wikipedia

Fulham F.C. - Wikipedia

Queens Park Rangers F.C. - Wikipedia

Millwall F.C. - Wikipedia

Charlton Athletic F.C. - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-04-2017 at 05:47 AM..

Old 06-04-2017, 11:42 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,495,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Milan and Munich should be replaced by London and Manchester.
No, I don't think so. Milan and (to a lesser degree) Munich have achieved much more than London and Manchester, as well as the respective national teams. What are thirteen mediocre teams worth, one single Champions League title? I see even Liverpool above London and Manchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Buenos Aires is missing there.
Seven teams from Buenos Aires have won Copa Libertadores (Independiente, Boca Juniors, River Plate, Racing Club, Argentinos Juniors, Vélez Sarsfield and San Lorenzo). SEVEN freaking teams!!!

The amount of Copa Libertadores titles won by teams from Buenos Aires surpasses the whole of Brazil (20 vs 17). Five out of those seven teams have also won Intercontinental Cup; next cities with most teams have only two.
Ok, I'm not very knowledgeable about South American club football but I have also taken into account that Sao Paulo and Rio have produced so many World Cup winners.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Tottenham and West Ham are also very famous premier league teams with very impressive histories, as are Crystal Palace, whilst Watford is also very close to London.

Tottenham finished second in the premier league this season, well above Arsenal.

West Ham have recently moved in to the very impressive former 2012 Olympic stadium which has a 60,000 plus capacity and Tottenham will be playing at Wembley (90,000 capacity) next season while there vast new stadium is being completed.

Tottenham Hotspur F.C. - Wikipedia

West Ham United F.C. - Wikipedia

Chelsea F.C. - Wikipedia

Arsenal F.C. - Wikipedia

Crystal Palace F.C. - Wikipedia

Watford F.C. - Wikipedia

Fulham F.C. - Wikipedia

Queens Park Rangers F.C. - Wikipedia

Millwall F.C. - Wikipedia

Charlton Athletic F.C. - Wikipedia

Actually Madrid is the football capital, 2 teams from Madrid arrived almost to the end of the Champions League and one of them won it this year making 3 times in the last 4 seasons.

Yes I forgot about Tottenham, Tottenham is also more known (im from Mexico but I live in Madrid, besides in Mexico very few know any other team from London which is not Chelsea or Arsenal) but all of the others are unknown outside from the United Kingdom, are they really in the Premier League? Here in Spain I heard about West Ham and Millwall because of the movie Green Street hooligans, besides I never heard before about West Ham. London was in the past the football capital, now clearly isn't, as the big teams from London barely manage to arrive to quarter finals in the Champions League in the last 5 years.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-04-2017 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 06-04-2017, 01:03 PM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times
Quote:
No, I don't think so. Milan and (to a lesser degree) Munich have achieved much more than London and Manchester, as well as the respective national teams. What are thirteen mediocre teams worth, one single Champions League title? I see even Liverpool above London and Manchester.

Ok, I'm not very knowledgeable about South American club football but I have also taken into account that Sao Paulo and Rio have produced so many World Cup winners.
Milan deserves to be named because of AC and Inter but they haven't been relevant for the last 6 years.

Which top team does Munich have besides Bayern?

Its already 27 years since the last time Liverpool was champion of England.
In those 27 years a Manchester club won it 15 times and a London club 9 times.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:05 PM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanajuato View Post
Yes I forgot about Tottenham, Tottenham is also more known (im from Mexico but I live in Madrid, besides in Mexico very few know any other team from London which is not Chelsea or Arsenal) but all of the others are unknown outside from the United Kingdom, are they really in the Premier League? Here in Spain I heard about West Ham and Millwall because of the movie Green Street hooligans, besides I never heard it before about West Ham.
If you don't know West Ham United, i don't think you can judge on this topic.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If you don't know West Ham United, i don't think you can judge on this topic.
West Ham is barely known outside from England, that was my point. I find Buenos Aires to be a more proper football powerhouse rather than London. London teams are winning just few trophies in the last years.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-04-2017 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 06-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Exactly. I would add here Madrid too, Atletico is quite powerful in those last years but Real is practically in it's best form. Chelsea and Arsenal aren't doing much things outside of the Premier.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-04-2017 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World