U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:06 PM

20,818 posts, read 62,392,752 times

Advertisements

Does smaller cities count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM

5,891 posts, read 6,378,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Does smaller cities count?
Sure, I don't see why not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Maybe people don't realize, Shenzhen is fiercely competing with Hong Kong across the river. Supposed to surpass it in GDP next year.
Yes. Shenzhen's rise into a megacity has been nothing short of breathtaking. In 1986 it was nothing more than a few fishing villages stitched together with like 280,000 people. Today? A metropolis of 13 million people and growing strong. By percentage terms, the fastest growing city in world history. No other city in the world went from so small to so massive in a shorter span of time (Karachi holds the world record in raw numbers though, 11 million people in 12 years).

Shenzhen's skyline is very powerful and gorgeous. It has the same geography, climate, and location as Hong Kong, it has much going for it. It is one of (mainland) China's Top 4 or 5 cities now. Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and I suppose Chongqing.

Mainland China has so many megacities (several dozens) and so many big cities (hundreds). Probably lots of fierce and true two-way rivalries all over China.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM

20,818 posts, read 62,392,752 times
My hometown Boden has always had an intense rivalry with our neighbour LuleŚ, which is the major city in the north.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:31 AM

226 posts, read 286,602 times
The Sydney-Melbourne rivalry is one of the most cut-throat rivalries between any two large cities I've encountered. More so than NYC vs. LA, or NYC vs. Chicago.

I wish Sydneysiders and Melbournians would understand that any kind of comparison is futile, they are two very different cities and the diversity is only increasing.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:22 PM

5,891 posts, read 6,378,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
The Sydney-Melbourne rivalry is one of the most cut-throat rivalries between any two large cities I've encountered. More so than NYC vs. LA, or NYC vs. Chicago.
That would make a lot of sense. New York and Los Angeles as well as New York and Chicago aren't really a truly comparable rivalry. New York is substantially larger than and more important than both, arguably more important than both the two others put together. If those rivalries exist in real life, it would be a one-way affair.

Unless a New Yorker is feeling needy or insecure or something (New Yorkers typically don't feel needy or insecure), I can't imagine why they'd even recognize the other two as peers.

Now Sydney and Melbourne, definitely. Fierce as hell. So fierce that it managed to shape the administrative control in Australia. Canberra exists because of Sydney and Melbourne's rivalry. Both Sydney and Melbourne are of similar size and of similar caliber, a true bonafide two-way rivalry.

I love it personally, love both Sydney and Melbourne but that's a given at this point. There's a reason why Sydney and Melbourne comprise 50% of my customer user title on this forum (the tag that reads "Miami-Sydney-Melbourne-Tel Aviv").

Old 09-15-2017, 05:55 PM

598 posts, read 332,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Now Sydney and Melbourne, definitely. Fierce as hell. So fierce that it managed to shape the administrative control in Australia. Canberra exists because of Sydney and Melbourne's rivalry. Both Sydney and Melbourne are of similar size and of similar caliber, a true bonafide two-way rivalry.
I think it's simply a product of the pre-federation era, when the Australian states were in fact different countries. What are now the state parliaments were, pre 1901, the national legislatures for each. They even had their own armies and navies so could have gone to war with each other, although the distances between them would have made any major conflict almost impossible in a practical sense.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 PM
BMI

4,779 posts, read 2,502,042 times
Melbourne - Sydney

Paris - London

Toyko - Seoul

Chicago - Toronto

Seattle - Vancouver

Savannah - Charleston

El Paso - Albuquerque

Edmonton - Calgary

Baltimore - DC

Nashville - Memphis

Dallas - Houston

Copenhagen - Stockholm

Singapore - Hong Kong

Milan - Rome

Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 PM

88 posts, read 18,853 times
Quote:
That would make a lot of sense. New York and Los Angeles as well as New York and Chicago aren't really a truly comparable rivalry. New York is substantially larger than and more important than both, arguably more important than both the two others put together. If those rivalries exist in real life, it would be a one-way affair.

Unless a New Yorker is feeling needy or insecure or something (New Yorkers typically don't feel needy or insecure), I can't imagine why they'd even recognize the other two as peers.
The NYC/LA and NYC/Chicago rilvary is like you stated usually one-sided unless a NYer gets offended. For me someone from NYC/NJ out here in LA, when I first moved here a lot of people would be offended seeing me in a Yankee hat and would make negative comments about NY all the time. I wouldn't get offended because there's more LA ppl here in SoCal than NYers (naturally). Now I don't wear my Yankee hat that often or my LA Dodger hat. I just chose another team and city to rep that's connected to my family.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 PM

1,816 posts, read 760,378 times
Quote:
Here are some that come immediately to mind for me. All of these are roughly about equal in size or close enough in size and equal in stature or close enough with one another and they are all located in a geographic area where they directly compete with one another on one thing or the other (i.e. Beijing/Shanghai = China; Delhi/Mumbai = India; Sydney/Melbourne = Australia; Dallas/Houston = Texas; London/Paris = Western Europe; Doha/Abu Dhabi = Persian Gulf States; Zurich/Geneva = Switzerland; Hong Kong/Singapore = City-States of Asia/Financial Centers/Intermodal Global Ports, so on).

In any particular order off the top of my head, going off of memory:

01. Shanghai (28 million people) versus Beijing (25 million people)

02. Delhi (24 million people) versus Mumbai (22 million people)

03. London (14.5 million people) versus Paris (12.6 million people)

04. Hong Kong (7.3 million people) versus Singapore (6 million people)

05. Sydney (5 million people) versus Melbourne (4.6 million people)

06. Dallas/Fort Worth (7.6 million people) versus Houston (7 million people)

07. Abu Dhabi (2 million people) versus Doha (2 million people)

08. Zurich (1.9 million people) versus Geneva (1.5 million people)

09. Ho Chi Minh City (11.5 million people) versus Hanoi (10.5 million people)

10. Calgary (1.45 million people) versus Edmonton (1.35 million people)

11. San Antonio (2.47 million people) versus Austin (2.05 million people)

12. Charlotte (2.56 million people) versus Raleigh/Durham (2.15 million people)

13. Orlando (3.2 million people) versus Tampa (3.1 million people)

14. Stockholm (2.5 million people) versus Copenhagen (2.1 million people)

15. Guadalajara (4.9 million people) versus Monterrey (4.5 million people)

16. Albuquerque (1.1 million people) versus Tucson (1.05 million people) versus El Paso (1.05 million people): this one is a three-way of equally sized and equally calibered cities, all of them located in the Desert Southwest Region of the United States.

17. Bangalore (11 million people) versus Chennai (10.5 million people) versus Hyderabad (10 million people): this one is another three-way of nearly equally sized and nearly equally calibered cities, all of them are located in South India where they compete against one another for the recognition as the top billing of South India.

18. Buffalo (1.27 million people) versus Rochester (1.27 million people) versus Albany (1.27 million people): this one is yet another three-way of equally sized and nearly equally calibered cities that compete against one another in the state of New York.

19. Amsterdam (2.5 million people) versus Rotterdam (2.3 million people) versus the Hague (2.2 million people): this one is yet another three-way and what makes this one unique is that the three areas combine to form one larger metropolis -- Randstad.

20. Berlin (6.1 million people) versus Frankfurt (6.0 million people) versus Munich (5.3 million people) versus Stuttgart (5.3 million) versus Hamburg (5.0 million people): this one is a five-way. These are the largest metropolises in Germany after the Rhine-Ruhr metropolis (12 million people). All 5 of them are nearly similarly sized but specialize in different aspects.

Those are just off the top of my head, there are probably a dozen or two more examples. Can anyone list more examples?
Fantastic list!!

Old 09-16-2017, 12:46 AM

4,553 posts, read 4,756,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Gothenburg vs Oslo
There is no rivalry as Oslo is far superior in most regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World