Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Reputation: 11937

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Years ago if you were fat you were probably wealthy, and had gout
Very true.

There still are rich fat people, and poor thin ones, but the US, Mexico, Canada and the UK are seeing their populations get fatter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 PM
 
Location: SC
8,793 posts, read 8,185,995 times
Reputation: 12994
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Americans get an unfair wrap about weight, I remember going to Orlando a few years ago, the usual Disney trip ( loved it), and there were a lot of obese Americans ( did manage to hear them all talk), one fat girl was riding a scooter that had a special drink container on the handle bars that allowed her to suck the coke while racing along, in fact saw a few of those.
But I wanted to see more of Florida and so we drove to Daytona Beach, and as I jogged to the beach with my pale Brit body, hairy chest and red/white legs was shocked to see everyone was slim. I had to put the T shirt back on. Obeseness must be a regional thing in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It has to do with lifestyle and income. Poor people buy cheaper foods that are full of sugar and fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Very true.

There still are rich fat people, and poor thin ones, but the US, Mexico, Canada and the UK are seeing their populations get fatter.
I would think that in WDW, you are not seeing the cream of the crop (wealth wise), but with Disney prices you are certainly not seeing the poorest citizens either.

What I found most interesting when I went to Disney (I haven't been there since one week before Animal Kingdom opened) was that you could easily tell who was just starting their vacation and who was ending it. The adults who were just starting were full of bounce with big smiles. Those at the end of their vacation week were dragging as if they had been on a death march. Walking around Disney can take a lot out of an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 06:17 AM
 
2,631 posts, read 2,057,012 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think we might get a different type of American tourist down in these parts. The loud, Hawaiian shirted guy with a camera around his neck, just doesn't happen here imo.

The American tourist here, typically seems to be well dressed, not loud, friendly and polite, and much more likely to be traveling alone, or in couples.

Even cruise ship Americans don't really live up to traditional stereotypes.
That's because most American tourists are exactly what you describe. Just about all of the negative stereotypes in this thread are from American comedies on TV or in the movies, not real life experiences. Seriously, do Americans bring their big cups of ice overseas when they travel? Where do we get these huge cups when we travel? It's a TV caricature, nothing else. We definitely have jerks in our ranks, but no more per capita than other places.

Last edited by Return2FL; 07-17-2017 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 AM
 
2,631 posts, read 2,057,012 times
Reputation: 3134
And the whole "Americans are fat" thing is almost always a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I don't need any studies to see that Brits, Canadians, Mexicans, Swiss and Germans are just as fat as Americans. In the case of Mexicans and most Latin Americans, they are fatter. Statistics lie and liars use statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
Reputation: 25257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Wearing something that has their university's abbreviated name on it (e.g. UCLA). That's another distinguisher.
Haha .. not necessarily. I gave a bunch of clothes with my alma mater logo to friends in India, Doha and Dubai.

I never wear those clothes myself. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,129,027 times
Reputation: 11652
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Haha .. not necessarily. I gave a bunch of clothes with my alma mater logo to friends in India, Doha and Dubai.

I never wear those clothes myself. lol
Perhaps but even in the U.S. it's super common to wear garb from your university and even your high school sometimes.


When I go to Syracuse NY I almost feel out of place if I'm not wearing something that's orange!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
And the whole "Americans are fat" thing is almost always a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I don't need any studies to see that Brits, Canadians, Mexicans, Swiss and Germans are just as fat as Americans. In the case of Mexicans and most Latin Americans, they are fatter. Statistics lie and liars use statistics.
Well if you don't need studies to prove anything to you, then either do the rest of us.

So just from my personal observations of travelling, you see more fat Americans than anywhere. Not just the ones that are obese, but morbidly obese. There is a reason portion sizes are ridiculously huge in the US. Gotta keep that weight up.


See, no study needed. My word is as good as your word. To hell with scientific evidence !!! All statistical evidence is a liberal propaganda campaign whose goal is to make Supersizing illegal !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Both coasts
1,574 posts, read 5,125,179 times
Reputation: 1520
The stranger who says "Hello" to you in an elevator (outside the US), is most likely an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 AM
 
5,428 posts, read 3,513,269 times
Reputation: 5031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well if you don't need studies to prove anything to you, then either do the rest of us.

So just from my personal observations of travelling, you see more fat Americans than anywhere. Not just the ones that are obese, but morbidly obese. There is a reason portion sizes are ridiculously huge in the US. Gotta keep that weight up.


See, no study needed. My word is as good as your word. To hell with scientific evidence !!! All statistical evidence is a liberal propaganda campaign whose goal is to make Supersizing illegal !

You're missing the point. Yes, statistical data shows that Americans are more obese on average than Canadians or Europeans but it doesn't mean that those are exclusively American traits. There are plenty of fat people all over.

The problem is that most of those stereotypes such as fat, loud, ignorant... are used to portray Americans in a negative way, but completely ignore the fact that many people fall into it.

For example, Americans are considered bad at geography, yet I find people who are clueless about it all the time. It's simply an issue of them not caring about it. I'm good at geography because I'm into it, not because I'm Canadian. Most of my friends are bad at geography because they find it dull.

If you say anything stupid, you are apparently a "clueless American". Everyone else of course is a walking prodigy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 AM
 
2,631 posts, read 2,057,012 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well if you don't need studies to prove anything to you, then either do the rest of us.

So just from my personal observations of travelling, you see more fat Americans than anywhere. Not just the ones that are obese, but morbidly obese. There is a reason portion sizes are ridiculously huge in the US. Gotta keep that weight up.


See, no study needed. My word is as good as your word. To hell with scientific evidence !!! All statistical evidence is a liberal propaganda campaign whose goal is to make Supersizing illegal !

So if we want to play the statistics game, the US is the 18th most obese country in the world and according to statistics, 4.5% more Americans are obese than Canadians, per capita. Yuge difference, right? When it comes to simply being overweight, Americans, Mexicans and Canadians are within the margin of error. So much for the false narratives of Americans being in a different universe of fatness, loudness, rudeness, drunkeness and carrying big cupness.

My personal eyeball test tells me that Americans, Northern Europeans and Canadians are equally fat. Latin Americans are fatter.


The morbidly obese thing is American for sure, but such people are fairly rare and it's regional/socioeconomic. Because Americans love their reality TV, others think that we see such people on every corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top