U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:25 AM

3,144 posts, read 4,712,006 times

Advertisements

Tiger leaping gorge in yunnan, for buildings the angkor site, for cities fes Morocco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Status: "Answer not a fool's folly, lest ye be like him." (set 29 days ago)

36,376 posts, read 27,357,503 times
I'm glad to see some urban areas mentioned. I remember the first time I got on a bullet train in Japan - WOW. To Tokyo, which was the most amazing city I'd ever seen (and that was a long time ago!). That was the first time I ever saw complete parks with gardens and green spaces on top of buildings. It's common now but this was 50 years ago. I was amazed.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 PM

6,146 posts, read 3,880,370 times
I'd say Venice.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 1,064 times
I've been lucky enough to travel throughout north and south America, most of Europe, and China. Hands down the place I always go back to is Oahu, Hawaii. Not Waikiki, that's a tourist trap. But the rest of the island with it's beautiful beaches. I go a few times per year and it never gets old.

Besides Hawaii, Northern Ireland and it's VERY green coast along the beautiful water, was pretty great! But so far I wouldn't trade Hawaii for anything.

On my list, though, is Bora Bora/Fiji. Hut over the water or bust.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 PM

576 posts, read 335,769 times
As someone who has visited over 25 countries in Europe and Latin America, Iceland would probably have to be the most memorable country to me as far as natural landscapes are concerned. The countryside there is just unreal with geysers, hot springs, glaciers, waterfalls, volcanoes, etc, not to mention large hot springs such as the Blue Lagoon. Plus since everything is powered thru geothermal energy there is practically no pollution to speak of.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,961,799 times
Prague

Old 08-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Status: "Answer not a fool's folly, lest ye be like him." (set 29 days ago)

36,376 posts, read 27,357,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Prague

I loved Prague.

I'm glad to see some urban settings listed here.

London is the most amazing city I've ever visited, though Berlin was pretty dang cool too. But London - wow. Tokyo is also amazing, from a more technology oriented perspective, which I don't care for as much but hey, it's a city that can really take one's breath away as well.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 PM

2,968 posts, read 1,949,248 times
Natural Beauty: Iceland, Antarctica, Upper Great Lakes, Lassen Volcanic NP
Cities: Tallinn, Copenhagen, London, Sydney, Toronto
Attractions: Ruins of Ephesus, Catherine Palace (Saint Petersburg), Kennedy Space Center

Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 PM

5,762 posts, read 9,498,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Reading that was... an experience
Deciphering wonders if Romania Black sea nightlife is reaching the legendary Ibiza Balearic islands of Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A lot of places had moments that took my breath away, but since I have to choose one, I choose Venice. Stepping out of the train station and WHAM, you're on the Grand Canal. It was the suddenness of it that, that I wasn't prepared for.
Extreme visual alteration elsewhere in the same province of Veneto that closely adjacent from this touristic grounding vantage point. Mystical triangle three way approximately just one hour away from parts of the Dolomites Italian Alps technically within the regional boundaries, very residential Verona with absolutely zero tourists around, finally even the rustic Yugoslavian lands at the opposite path out from Venice. Are these swarms of foreigners completely oblivious to what is present in the rest of the province or beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post
While I have found many cities and cultural places genuinely "interesting" and "exciting", it's only the natural places that have literally taken my breath away - Mankind can and has made amazing structures and monuments during our time on Earth but Mother Nature's best really is another dimension of reality.

The two moments that first came to my mind when I opened this discussion were standing on the end of the Lola Vista Trail in Kauai and looking down upon the Kauai cathedrals along the Napali Coast. The view of the cathedrals from a boat is one of the World's great physical scenes as well but witnessing them from the top of that rugged skyline is literally surreal: The blue/green ocean, the Ruffle's-like mountains, the forest behind you...just stunning.

The second moment was viewing Bora Bora from the plane as we were descending. Between the perfect blue water, the smooth lagoon surrounding the island, Mount Otemanu standing above it all, and the crazy anticipation of finally setting foot on Bora Bora that moment has been burned into my memory. Bora Bora itself is a wonderful little island with a dreamlike lagoon to play in that will always rank it as one of the World's "dream destinations" but the best view of the island is actually from the sky. Tip for those who plan to travel there - take a seat on the left side of the plane facing forward as the right side does not get the view of the island upon descent.
Thriving urbanite treasures are more convenient without a doubt. Nature is less easily accessible. Requiring extra effort. Always preferring nature near major communities of people. One of my favorite nature memories of equal grateful remembrance is telegondola ride up into the Austrian Alps from Innsbruck Tyrol. Holy sacred mountains of dramatic awe inspiring reflection. Not even close to desolate up there. Tons of mainland Asian tourists even happily smiling identical to the all of us. Deep spiritual connection that you have with Tahiti Bora Bora Polynesia. Can you believe these islands are belonging to France’s own control depending on various measures.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 AM

10,546 posts, read 4,493,500 times
Hiking up the Machu Picchu was so impressive. Particularly at the bottom of the valley, there was a light fog covering some of the mountains and it was very surreal. Machu Picchu is in the tropics so the mountains are covered in green from top to bottom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World