Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times

Advertisements

What would be a stereotypical big city in each country? Like the way they are portrayed in the popular media

USA:

Stereotype 1: Big downtown full of gleaming skyscrapers, surrounded by miles upon miles of single family houses, suburbia, and strip malls

Stereotype 2: Skyscrapers and technological marvels everywhere

UK: Charming old city stuck in the 19th century. All the streets are paved with cobblestones and car traffic is mostly limited to Mini Coopers and red Double Decker buses. There are red telephone booths on every corner and everyone walks around with top hats

Ireland: No major cities here, only fields full of sheep and occasional small towns where there are more pubs than inhabitants

France: Huge palaces and grandiose avenues as far as the eye can see. Cafes selling baguettes everywhere. People might or might not be dressed in 18th century clothing. More recently however, extremely dangerous ghettos are starting to pop up on the edges

Italy:

Stereotype 1: Gorgeous historical city with thousand year old buildings everywhere and canals with gondolas and ancient Roman ruins. Streets are filled with supermodel-looking people. Anybody who visits an Italian city is bound to have at least 2 unexpected romantic encounters while riding on a gondola

Stereotype 2: (More of Sicily) Impoverished but charming city with old buildings on a beautiful riviera. Everybody wears golf caps and talks with their fingers. In this stereotype of Italy you can easily get yourself killed if you look at the wrong person the wrong way

Germany:

Stereotype 1: A small town built on the Bavarian hillside where everyone wears lederhosen and drinks beer pints 24/7

Stereotype 2: Horrible polluted town with factories and ugly brick houses. Sadistic "police" on every corner to maintain order

Russia: Beautiful onion-tipped churches in the center of the city. Outside of that there are ugly Soviet-era apartment blocks everywhere

Poland: Ugly-Soviet era apartment blocks everywhere

Serbia: Ugly-Soviet era apartment blocks everywhere

Rest of Eastern Europe: Ugly-Soviet era apartment blocks everywhere

Mexico: Dusty desert town where the "Downtown" is essentially just a church with a big plaza in front of it. Everyone is dressed in traditional clothing, especially the men, who are required by law to wear ponchos and huge sombreros

Brazil:
Developed cities don't exist, there are only hillside favelas. People walk around with either parade masks or guns 24/7. Clothes are very much optional. The city also has to be on the beach, because it's not Brazil if there are no beaches

Colombia: Developed cities don't exist, only drug-filled dens in the middle of the jungle. Guerrillas walk the streets in their normal uniform and every street has "ladies of the night". Bogota also doesn't exist; every city has a climate like Barranquilla

Peru/Bolivia: Developed cities don't exist, only drug-filled dens in the middle of the jungle. Guerrillas walk the streets in their normal uniform and every street has "ladies of the night". Same as Colombia, except that there are also llamas everywhere

Rest of Latin America: Same as above

Africa: Not only are there no developed cities, but there is nothing even close to being considered "developing". There are only mud huts and no clean water to speak of. Occasionally the mud huts can be upgraded to treehouses in the middle of the jungle

Southeast Asia: No major cities here, just jungle and rice fields

Japan: Skyscrapers and giant advertisements. Everyone watches anime religiously and all the girls wear cat ears. Everything also conveniently comes with English subtitles

China: Everyone lives in giant Soviet-style apartment blocks and the air is gray from the pollution. The few lucky ones who don't live in these conditions are the monks who spend all their lives in a Himalayan pagoda learning to be karate masters

India/South Asia: Everyone lives in rundown shacks with sewage running down the streets. Snake charmers are a common sight, as are cows

Middle East: Dusty desert town with rundown buildings and rubble in the streets. There are beautiful street markets however, where you can purchase flying carpets and beautiful vases which could potentially have genies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,686,645 times
"More recently however, extremely dangerous ghettos are starting to pop up on the edges"

CD is even worse than parisians when it comes to clichés . There's a life after the périphérique of cities...And the extreme majority of the "ghettos" are just boring and normal af, just full of immigrants that want to live a normal life.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 PM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
OP, I think you need to travel more often. I mean - real travel. Not via Google Street View.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP, I think you need to travel more often. I mean - real travel. Not via Google Street View.
I'm pretty sure he was joking. Unfortunately stereotypes still play a huge part in today's world and the OP was just expressing some generic ones that are quite prevalent.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
I am in Mexico now. Sombreros are actually quite common, and you can see them quite often on streets.
It is also interesting that many men dress in dark suit and white shirt. Especially in hotels, restaurants, and clubs etc. It looks good, just not very common in western countries now.

The vast majority of urban Chinese do live in apartment buildings. However the ones built after 2000s do not look "soviet". They are similar to the modern apartment buildings in western Europe.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,529,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Brazil:
Developed cities don't exist, there are only hillside favelas. People walk around with either parade masks or guns 24/7. Clothes are very much optional. The city also has to be on the beach, because it's not Brazil if there are no beaches
I'm ashamed... but it's true: much of the brazilian artists and intellectuals, most of them left-wing, love portraying this image of Brazil to the world, even considering the fact that Brazil is mostly flat and population in the countryside is much larger than in the coast.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:44 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lol this was supposed to poke fun at the stereotypes, I was discussing the ones I've read or seen before. Pretty sure people in England don't wear top hats anymore, and not all of Mexico is in the Sonoran desert

Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Keep going. I like it. And will post about Canada and some other countries shortly.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,857 times
I'd add South Korea:

Apartment complexes everywhere, even more apartment complexes in the center, some more apartment complexes in the sububurbs, and everything surrounded by apartment complexes.

https://koreanssuck.files.wordpress....02-resized.jpg

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-conte...0130918n2a.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-23-2017 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,026,336 times
UAE: stereotypically kicking American city ass since 2008;

Eastern Europe: "Hostel", the movie;

Italy: Buildings about to collapse + ugly catholic cathedrals;

France: Grape, castles, small cars, perverts 0_0;

Greece: white houses, fat people sitting outside;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World