Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 03:52 PM

337 posts, read 268,110 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Just as a little background, Boston is my hometown, but I've visited London multiple times for family, and due to proximity, have enjoyed quality time in New York as well. These are 3 of my favorite cities, and I have noticed a significant cultural overlap between the 3 as well (despite 2 being huge global cities, and Boston small and regional in comparison)

You can still see a lot of British colonial influence in Boston's architecture and street layout - one of Boston's most differentiating characteristics from other major American cities is its winding roads. London is similarly not gridded, and has some similar building stock to Boston's, while being not as skyscraper-heavy as New York. Boston and London also bear an Irish influence.

While New York & Boston's streetcapes & architecture don't look very similar (at least in Manhattan), they both share American and Northeastern culture, despite New York leaning Mid-Atlantic & Boston New England. Also when one looks at Brooklyn, the architecture in some neighborhoods look incredibly similar to some of Boston's housing stock, specifically rowhomes & greenery.

Even though London and New York probably share many more similarities culturally to each other than Boston does to either, being a much smaller city, I thought it may be an interesting comparison. All 3 cities mix old and new architecture, and all 3 have been historically entwined.

Let us know what you think, and feel free to share pictures if you like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Whenever I ask about ancestry in Boston, the answer is some combination of Irish and Italian. It seems relatively few people in Boston have British/Anglo ancestry.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:49 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
NYC by a massive margin. Due to sheer proximity and being in the same country, Boston is far more like an outer borough part of NYC than it feels like London and it's not even remotely close.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
London is a mixture of architecture and extremely vast, parts may resemble other cities, but overall I would have thought Boston was more similar to parts of New York with it's Brownstones, than parts of Central London which has more Georgian/Regency architecture and streets courtesy of architects such as the great John Nash.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The Boston accent sounds kind of similar to the New York accent.

Very few people in Boston speak with a British accent, unless they're from Britain.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:24 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
It is more like New York by far.

I live in London and have been to both New York and Boston several times. Not once, not twice, not even thrice, but been to them several times. Boston is probably the closest to London in America but that's not really saying much, given everywhere in America is vastly different from London, Boston included. It's like saying Korean food is the most similar to American food among all the Asian cuisines solely because both superficially have barbecue involved in ample segments of their cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World