Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yes, but it's not utterly surprising. The US is fading since the times of Bill Clinton and Europe since the 80s. Unless of course you consider Elon Musk to be the saviour of humanity...
Don't you mean the saviour of America? Elon Musk isn't originally from America, he's an immigrant from South Africa and Canada. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-16-2017 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 07:10 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yes, I guess we do think America is exceptional. Just as many people in many other nations think their nation is exceptional.
What is exceptional? I will tell you. We are the only country founded on the principle that who your family was didn't matter. That is exceptional. No other country can claim that.

BTW, I think of Gary Busey ever time I see your screen name.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:54 AM

400 posts, read 292,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What is exceptional? I will tell you. We are the only country founded on the principle that who your family was didn't matter. That is exceptional. No other country can claim that.

BTW, I think of Gary Busey ever time I see your screen name.
Do you seriously think US is the only country without royalty or aristocracy?

Old 08-17-2017, 02:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What is exceptional? I will tell you. We are the only country founded on the principle that who your family was didn't matter. That is exceptional. No other country can claim that.....
You cannot be saying that without a big grin on your face. If you came from the families of thousands of African-American slaves it certainly mattered. Furthermore, most states had highly restrictive voting laws, voting was limited in most states to those had met high income and/or tax requirements, which in the early years of the republic kept government in the hands of wealthy white males.

The national government was originally set up to limit those Federal offices that were filled by direct vote too.

In America's early years wealth and the color of your skin mattered more than family if you want to look at it that way.

The U.S. was a republic of moneyed aristocrats almost until the era of Jackson, and Americans did not get to directly elect their senators until the early 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World