U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 PM

12,611 posts, read 13,971,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

For every city in the U.S. it will be Italian, North American Chinese and Mexican.
Albuquerque, New Mexico (USA) has a surprising dearth of Mexican (plenty of the obviously related New Mexican, though.)

As for Italian, not as much as most of America, unless pizza is considered.

As for North American Chinese, it is here but I bet there are 5 Vietnamese restaurants for every Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 03:07 PM

8,701 posts, read 6,005,560 times
I guess because of all the pizza places, Italian is the most in number...but take out pizza places and I'd say in Vancouver Chinese cuisines may actually win.

Growing up in Vancouver, even as a non-Chinese, I was taught how to use chopsticks at a very young age

Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 PM

15,790 posts, read 19,435,225 times
In California it is Mexican far and above and this pretty much remains true in Nevada, Utah and Arizona too. Chinese would be next and in California's larger metros you'll even have places that specialize in either Mandarin or Cantonese. After that would be Japanese and Italian then Vietnamese. Vietnamese in some areas is more common than Italian.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:52 AM

9,906 posts, read 8,738,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
In California it is Mexican far and above and this pretty much remains true in Nevada, Utah and Arizona too. Chinese would be next and in California's larger metros you'll even have places that specialize in either Mandarin or Cantonese. After that would be Japanese and Italian then Vietnamese. Vietnamese in some areas is more common than Italian.
What?
I know there is Cantonese cuisine because Canton is a Chinese province. BUt what the hell is "Mandarin cuisine"? The rest of China (which is 1.3B people) don't share the same kind of cuisine. Why do Americans keep thinking China is all about the divide between Cantonese and Mandarin? Canton is one of the provinces in China and nothing makes it different from the rest of the country, in language, food or anything.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:55 AM

9,906 posts, read 8,738,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I guess because of all the pizza places, Italian is the most in number...but take out pizza places and I'd say in Vancouver Chinese cuisines may actually win.

Growing up in Vancouver, even as a non-Chinese, I was taught how to use chopsticks at a very young age
Pizza places can be considered "Italian" ifs the owner still speaks Italian. Otherwise it is just typical North American food like the burger joints.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:01 AM

10,591 posts, read 11,332,126 times
For my town it would be McDonalds and Chinese.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:03 AM

100 posts, read 11,994 times
Spain had almost no foreign restaurants 30 to 40 years ago, they were some Italian restaurants but they scorned pizza.

On that chapter, the country collapsed as a foreign restaurant -not from a med or western European country- is always ersatz food.

North African-Eastern Med food is gaining gound as they use the same ingredients and is very healthy, Japanese and Asiatic is on the way down, saturation.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:04 AM

377 posts, read 87,740 times
In Melbourne it's mostly Chinese food outside of the fast food joints.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:43 AM
BMI

4,738 posts, read 2,477,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For every city in Canada the answer will be Italian and North American Chinese (chicken balls, chicken fried rice, egg rolls, etc.).

For every city in the U.S. it will be Italian, North American Chinese and Mexican.

It's when you dig a little deeper that things get more interesting.

So if we want to make the discussion worth it, for my city the answer would be Lebanese shawarma. Honourable mention probably goes to pad thai.
Bang on.

Love pizza ...yum...Italian I eat on a regular basis, eat 2 or 3 pizzas a week.

I like Chinese food but could never eat it more than once a month,
it's also more expensive.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:37 AM

10,178 posts, read 10,098,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Love pizza ...yum...Italian I eat on a regular basis, eat 2 or 3 pizzas a week.
Ironic profile name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World