U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:52 AM

1,746 posts, read 766,447 times

Advertisements

Turkish by far, followed by Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:16 AM

481 posts, read 199,827 times
Olive Garden's in Italy, PF Chang's in China, Outback Steakhouse in Australia, Häagen-Dazs in Denmark ...

Old 08-19-2017, 11:45 AM

8,701 posts, read 6,005,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Pizza places can be considered "Italian" ifs the owner still speaks Italian. Otherwise it is just typical North American food like the burger joints.
If you apply that criteria to all restaurants, then you have nothing. Just because someone speaks Italian doesn't mean they can cook Italian. Some of the best French Chefs, aren't French for instance.

Now I'm not saying all pizza places are equal. Some are much more authentic than others, but for the sake of classification, pizza places are Italian, just like people call burgers in Europe, American, even though the cooks/owners don't speak a word of english.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-19-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 12:47 PM

5,855 posts, read 6,345,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For every city in the U.S. it will be Italian, North American Chinese and Mexican.
Nope.

Washington D.C. is El Salvadoran, Honolulu is Japanese, and Miami is Cuban.

Aside from those three, yeah, you're right. All of the other American cities would be represented by one of either Italian or Mexican as their de facto #1. Minus San Juan, Puerto Rico of course, that's a special case altogether.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:56 PM

13,006 posts, read 6,545,156 times
Quote:
For every city in Canada the answer will be Italian and North American Chinese (chicken balls, chicken fried rice, egg rolls, etc.).

For every city in the U.S. it will be Italian, North American Chinese and Mexican.

It's when you dig a little deeper that things get more interesting.

So if we want to make the discussion worth it, for my city the answer would be Lebanese shawarma. Honourable mention probably goes to pad thai.
What are chicken balls?

As for my answer, someone already answered for Denver, and it's definitely Mexican.

In the NY/NE region I used to to live in, it's Italian (yes, including pizza) followed by Chinese.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 PM

17,891 posts, read 22,202,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What are chicken balls?

Is this a serious question (from someone who lives in Colorado)?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Is this a serious question (from someone who lives in Colorado)?
Yes, it's serious question. I've never heard that terminology and I have no idea what it means. And I was at a Chinese restaurant in Colorado yesterday and they had no such thing on the menu.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:46 AM

15,790 posts, read 19,435,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What?
I know there is Cantonese cuisine because Canton is a Chinese province. BUt what the hell is "Mandarin cuisine"? The rest of China (which is 1.3B people) don't share the same kind of cuisine. Why do Americans keep thinking China is all about the divide between Cantonese and Mandarin? Canton is one of the provinces in China and nothing makes it different from the rest of the country, in language, food or anything.
LOL You might want to ask the people who put that on their restaurants but in California, especially San Diego, you see "Mandarin Cuisine". Tell them it doesn't make any sense to you.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:04 AM

17,891 posts, read 22,202,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, it's serious question. I've never heard that terminology and I have no idea what it means. And I was at a Chinese restaurant in Colorado yesterday and they had no such thing on the menu.
I referred to American/Americanized Chinese food restaurants. If you go to an authentic Chinese restaurant of course they won't have it as it isn't really anything that they eat in China.

Sweet and sour chicken encased in batter (often in the form of "balls") is common all across USA-Canada in cheaper non-authentic Chinese-style restaurants. Especially takeout places.

In Denver as elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I referred to American/Americanized Chinese food restaurants. If you go to an authentic Chinese restaurant of course they won't have it as it isn't really anything that they eat in China.

Sweet and sour chicken encased in batter (often in the form of "balls") is common all across USA-Canada in cheaper non-authentic Chinese-style restaurants. Especially takeout places.

In Denver as elsewhere.
Sweet and sour chicken I know. I have never heard it called chicken balls. Not in Colorado nor anywhere else. Thank you for clarifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World