Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 PM

26,879 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Yes perceptions about crime play a huge role in the low rankings of American cities on these lists. Most people abroad either aren't used to that level of crime or are used to lots of crime and are looking to get away.

One thing though is that I know lots of people who live in the US, some permanently some for part of the year. Out of all those people not a single one has been a victim of a serious crime in the US. So it is safe to say that it probably isn't much more dangerous for them than Canada is.

And that Americans who say that violent crime rates don't affect them might not be pulling our leg after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:35 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Uhhh no. Any research will reveal that those cities have very low crime rates.

Not sure where you are going with this.

X-Files conspiracy theories?
Uhh no,like I said directly reported by the local news sites.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:37 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Quote:
Out of all those people not a single one has been a victim of a serious crime in the US.
So you'd rather them gamble with odds to find out if they'll actually become a victim or be smart and proactive and plan ahead for better places.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Uhh no,like I said directly reported by the local news sites.
Well, sure, local crime gets reported on in local news.

No one is saying these cities have no crime. Only that they have low crime.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
So you'd rather them gamble with odds to find out if they'll actually become a victim or be smart and proactive and plan ahead for better places.
I suppose that they may have a bigger risk of being victimized in the U.S.

But even though (let's say) a 1 in 1 million chance of being victimized is statistically more dangerous than a 1 in 5 million chance, in both cases the risk is still very low.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:37 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Yes perceptions about crime play a huge role in the low rankings of American cities on these lists. Most people abroad either aren't used to that level of crime or are used to lots of crime and are looking to get away.

One thing though is that I know lots of people who live in the US, some permanently some for part of the year. Out of all those people not a single one has been a victim of a serious crime in the US. So it is safe to say that it probably isn't much more dangerous for them than Canada is.

And that Americans who say that violent crime rates don't affect them might not be pulling our leg after all.
A/J; to be fair to those living in or visiting the U.S. long term; it would be more than likely they are not doing either in any of those cities noted for higher crime rates than say Toronto or Montreal.. That would go a long way towards not knowing anyone whose been a victim.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A/J; to be fair to those living in or visiting the U.S. long term; it would be more than likely they are not doing either in any of those cities noted for higher crime rates than say Toronto or Montreal.. That would go a long way towards not knowing anyone whose been a victim.
Well two of them are in the Chicago area including one in the city proper.

Last edited by Acajack; 10-10-2017 at 05:16 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 06:24 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
True.

Though 4 of the 58 kiled in Las Vegas shooting were Canadians,
many Canadians injured too.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
True.

Though 4 of the 58 kiled in Las Vegas shooting were Canadians,
many Canadians injured too.
Multiply by two and you get all the murders in Finland for the past year. Actually it's less. I think we had like 85 murders last year.

And according to Washington Post we have a lot of guns.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 AM

Like most other Canadians I've been to the U.S. dozens of times, and this is true of most people I know. I suppose that at any given time there are a number of people in my entourage in the U.S. (My wife's three BFFs were actually in NYC over the weekend - she could not go due to work commitments.)

Anyway, my point is that I can't honestly recall anyone I know being a victim of a violent crime while in the U.S.

So as I said before, when Americans say most people can fairly easily avoid violent crime down there, they're not just making this up. If clueless tourists can generally avoid it, people who actually live there, who know the hoods and know the cues, are likely even better at it.

(It's admittedly horrible for those Americans who can't avoid violent crime, but that's a whole other topic.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World