U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2017, 02:26 PM
 
2,869 posts, read 1,795,594 times
Reputation: 1647

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
A lot of cold cities are declining and people are moving to warmer places. It is particularly common in big countries like America and China. Air-conditioning makes hot places more livable than before.
Seconded, I would definitely acknowledge there are other cities that might fit the bill, and I think Monocle is actually my favorite livability study as it's rankings seem to be the most consistent and detailed from year to year. But, even so, I could move to any of these cities tomorrow.

I guess that among smaller cities this could be considered true, but as much of this has to do with economic policies and other varying factors (for example, the reason the Rust Belt declined as it did doesn't necessarily have to do with climate). If I'm being honest, I still tend to think much of the world's "power" and desired cities happen to be in cold places. For example, if you take a look at Monocle's list, 17 of the 25 cities in it's top 25 have at least one month (or multiple) where the average high temperature is below 50 degrees. Even among the other 8, a majority (excluding Singapore and Hong Kong) have a more temperate, Mediterranean style climate and not excessive heat. Even consider that world capitals near the equator (Quito, La Paz, Bogota, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, etc.) are built at altitude likely in an attempt to eliminate excessive heat. I get your point about A/C as the Southern US was very rural before the advent of it, but it's worth noting among Alpha cities also, that the 5 cities that I believe can make some degree of case as World Capital (Beijing, Tokyo, London, Washington, New York City) all have relatively cold winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:26 PM
 
5,224 posts, read 5,056,399 times
Reputation: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Seconded, I would definitely acknowledge there are other cities that might fit the bill, and I think Monocle is actually my favorite livability study as it's rankings seem to be the most consistent and detailed from year to year. But, even so, I could move to any of these cities tomorrow.

I guess that among smaller cities this could be considered true, but as much of this has to do with economic policies and other varying factors (for example, the reason the Rust Belt declined as it did doesn't necessarily have to do with climate). If I'm being honest, I still tend to think much of the world's "power" and desired cities happen to be in cold places. For example, if you take a look at Monocle's list, 17 of the 25 cities in it's top 25 have at least one month (or multiple) where the average high temperature is below 50 degrees. Even among the other 8, a majority (excluding Singapore and Hong Kong) have a more temperate, Mediterranean style climate and not excessive heat. Even consider that world capitals near the equator (Quito, La Paz, Bogota, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, etc.) are built at altitude likely in an attempt to eliminate excessive heat. I get your point about A/C as the Southern US was very rural before the advent of it, but it's worth noting among Alpha cities also, that the 5 cities that I believe can make some degree of case as World Capital (Beijing, Tokyo, London, Washington, New York City) all have relatively cold winters.
Yes of course some old capitals in cold places will stay in power, but the new booming cities tend to be in warm places.

In China for example, only 2 of the top 10 cities are in the north now. Shenyang and Harbin used to be in top 10 before the 1990s, but they both declined along with other northern cities. The problem is few people want to move there, so they cannot attract investments and talents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 PM
 
6,019 posts, read 3,674,021 times
Reputation: 3668
Hong Kong got 15th (Monocle)? Cringe. Even a ****hole like Taipei is more liveable than that mayhem.

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-16-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 PM
 
5,224 posts, read 5,056,399 times
Reputation: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
To be certain, Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary are far from declining cities, with growth pressures that strain their abilities at times.
They are already the "warmest" in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Crappyville,PA
239 posts, read 160,813 times
Reputation: 286
Climate would be in my top 3 factors when comparing cities, it seems to be irreverent on this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 AM
 
Location: Ankara/Turkey
68 posts, read 12,990 times
Reputation: 72
An English language tv channel has picked the most livable cities and surprise surprise 7 out of top 10 cities are English speaking cities. The "list" isn't even worth thinking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
346 posts, read 77,323 times
Reputation: 267
Melbourne on top yet again! It's a good place to live in, but I don't see what makes it so special that it gets voted the most livable 7 years in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 AM
 
9,880 posts, read 8,688,610 times
Reputation: 6751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Climate isn't nearly as important to most people as one might conclude from reading the City-Data forum.
True, but when it comes to horrible climates such as that in Calgary and Toronto, it starts to make a difference.

Such rankings however, usually do not consider factor such as weather, job/cost of living when making the assessment. It is more about public safety, healthcare, education, infrastructure etc, so usually the lists are dominated by mid sized cities in safe and rich countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Cannes
1,779 posts, read 721,413 times
Reputation: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Climate would be in my top 3 factors when comparing cities, it seems to be irreverent on this list.
Same here, i left Vancouver because of the weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 AM
 
9,880 posts, read 8,688,610 times
Reputation: 6751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Climate certainly has a varied range of preferences as well. For example, I think Vancouver's climate is pretty great all things considered, where Singapore's is like Florida at its hottest/most humid, all year long. I actually think the list has some credence. The cities listed are extremely safe, have great amenities, transit, are extremely walkable and have plenty of things happening.
If Vancouver's climate is "pretty great", I wonder why so many cringe at Seattle's, which is marginally better (warmer and dryer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
A lot of cold cities are declining and people are moving to warmer places. It is particularly common in big countries like America and China. Air-conditioning makes hot places more livable than before.
Interesting comment.
Even in a mild country like France, the growth is in the south (Bordeaux, Toulouse, Montpellier etc). The north is undesirable outside Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top