U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 AM

18,477 posts, read 22,792,236 times

Advertisements

I still maintain that if you count the people of actually prefer cold climates, those who like four seasons and those who are climate indifferent, you end up with a strong majority of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If Vancouver's climate is "pretty great", I wonder why so many cringe at Seattle's, which is marginally better (warmer and dryer).

Interesting comment.
Even in a mild country like France, the growth is in the south (Bordeaux, Toulouse, Montpellier etc). The north is undesirable outside Paris.
Seems kind of mixed to me.

CARTE. Quels départements ont perdu ou gagné des habitants en France? | Corse-Matin

There is more growth in the south for sure but many regions in the north are growing. Some parts of the south are declining as well.

Same goes for the US where there is stronger growth in the south and southwest, but not everywhere. And some warm areas are actually emptying out.

And many parts of the north are growing at a healthy clip.

Seattle is growing faster than San Diego for example. As is Denver. And the frigid Twin Cities aren't that far off.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:29 AM

10,531 posts, read 4,482,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
True, but when it comes to horrible climates such as that in Calgary and Toronto, it starts to make a difference.

Such rankings however, usually do not consider factor such as weather, job/cost of living when making the assessment. It is more about public safety, healthcare, education, infrastructure etc, so usually the lists are dominated by mid sized cities in safe and rich countries.
If you live in a neutral climate like Washington DC or Paris which is not great but not bad either, you will not really know the importance of having a good climate. But if you move to a place like Moscow or Winnipeg with brutally cold winters, and endless clouds, it is going to have a big effect on your wellbeing

Old 08-17-2017, 11:36 AM

For fun, here are the 10 "happiest" countries in the world:

1. Norway
2. Denmark
3. Iceland
4. Switzerland
5. Finland
6. Netherlands
7. Canada
8. New Zealand
9. Australia
10. Sweden

Old 08-17-2017, 11:48 AM

10,531 posts, read 4,482,950 times
According to this list, Mapped: The world's happiest (and least happy) countries the happiest in the world are Costa Rica, Mexico, Colombia, Vanuatu, and Vietnam

https://www.livescience.com/50209-ha...n-america.html This one ranks Paraguay as the happiest

Generally seems like countries with mild or warm climates are the happiest ones, with the exclusion of Scandinavia which makes up for its abhorrable climate with excellent wealth and development and human rights

Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 PM

1,965 posts, read 851,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I still maintain that if you count the people of actually prefer cold climates, those who like four seasons and those who are climate indifferent, you end up with a strong majority of people.
I tell you on thing. I lived in Chicago( the coldest place i've ever lived) and the cold wasn't a negative aspect to me because it was not as overcast as let's say Vancouver.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:03 PM

1,218 posts, read 453,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
An English language tv channel has picked the most livable cities and surprise surprise 7 out of top 10 cities are English speaking cities. The "list" isn't even worth thinking about.
And two German-speaking ones

Old 08-17-2017, 02:12 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,238,386 times
I am surprised that people here really find the climate of some northern cities poor. Do people really like that heat of southern countries?

Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 PM

367 posts, read 216,932 times
Oh...O.k..it figures that the list was compiled by a bunch of Brits at the Economist Magazine out of the U.K.

Of course these live wires pick a bunch of dull(ish) english speaking cities where everything is well ordered but as places to actually LIVE, as exciting as watching paint dry. Calgary ???!! bwahahahaha...come ON. I've lived in and just outside of Toronto most of my life. Toronto is the kind of place that doesn't do anything particularly wrong administratively but neither does it make one truly relish life and/or make you happy to just be alive, the way some cities I've visited have made me feel. Serviceable and efficient but hardly memorable or inspiring. The kind of place an expat executive would love...which I suppose is the target market for these Economist listings.

Toronto did NOT make the top 25 list most livable cities published by Monocle Magazine, which was founded by one Tyler Brule, a Canadian expat from Winnipeg. Brule spent considerable time in Toronto before moving to London so I'm sure he knows the city quite well and has never included it in his lists. That's gotta tell you something.

https://monocle.com/film/affairs/qua...5-cities-2017/

Old 08-18-2017, 11:28 AM

1,407 posts, read 1,413,041 times
I feel depressed with these rankings. São Paulo is falling year after year, and this year it is in the bottom 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World