U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:24 AM

4,855 posts, read 4,905,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
San Diego has been called the city with the best climate in the world. That should have put it somewhere on this list. I'm dubious of the list too.
I don't mean to call you out specifically but this is a very US-centric point of view.

There is a reason US cities never make these lists. The "desirable" cities in the US really aren't so desirable in a global context. Huge divide between rich and poor. San Diego's climate isn't all that unique, and beautiful weather and scenery does not pay the bills. The major cities in the US just aren't very livable to the majority of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 01:27 AM

4,855 posts, read 4,905,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm very skeptical of this list. Calgary has a very poor climate, is very isolated, and has poor public transportation. Vancouver also has a poor climate and is extremely expensive. I would think that cities like Nice, Barcelona, Monaco, Genoa, Rome, etc, would dominate the list
France and Spain are afflicted with a number of issues that stymy the QOL. Unemployment, for example.

I think it's a good list and I concur with it for the most part. I think Oslo and Zurich need to be on the list, however. I would replace Helsinki with one of those two.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 AM

10,532 posts, read 4,482,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The discussions surrounding these lists goes to show everyone has their different wants and needs and its pretty difficult to rank how "livable" a city is.

Infrastructure, crime and economy are the only universal subjects most people can agree on they need in their life.

No one wants high crime, no jobs and poor city services.

Crap like culture can not be measured and its so subjective, just sounds snobby as sh-t judging a city by its art museums and crap.

A medium sized city in Canada would probably be the best of all worlds, of course there is weather that is a factor.
Even infrastructure is very debatable, for different people infrastructure might mean different things. Some people might think of infrastructure as the quality of roads, highways, lack of traffic. For me, by infrastructure, I want public transport, trains, and walkable streets

Personally I would much rather live in Santiago de Chile over Toronto or Calgary, but I know most people would disagree with me

Old 08-21-2017, 05:18 AM

5,339 posts, read 2,275,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Oh...O.k..it figures that the list was compiled by a bunch of Brits at the Economist Magazine out of the U.K.

Of course these live wires pick a bunch of dull(ish) english speaking cities where everything is well ordered but as places to actually LIVE, as exciting as watching paint dry. Calgary ???!! bwahahahaha...come ON. I've lived in and just outside of Toronto most of my life. Toronto is the kind of place that doesn't do anything particularly wrong administratively but neither does it make one truly relish life and/or make you happy to just be alive, the way some cities I've visited have made me feel. Serviceable and efficient but hardly memorable or inspiring. The kind of place an expat executive would love...which I suppose is the target market for these Economist listings.

Toronto did NOT make the top 25 list most livable cities published by Monocle Magazine, which was founded by one Tyler Brule, a Canadian expat from Winnipeg. Brule spent considerable time in Toronto before moving to London so I'm sure he knows the city quite well and has never included it in his lists. That's gotta tell you something.

https://monocle.com/film/affairs/qua...5-cities-2017/
I lived there one year. I liked the place a lot but at times it felt everything was too far away. Still, Toronto has a pretty dense nice downtown (by north american standards) and a lot of stuff. I think this is the kind of place that needs to be lived in for many years to find out what's in it. I think I could live there, but the major issue I have with "the new world" is that everything is really far. In Europe it is easy to change language / culture as the countries are pretty close from each other, and it is overall denser. Also, the city is really pretty spread out once you get out of downtown and the metro system is pretty limited. Cars are pretty much mandatory.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:03 AM

5,697 posts, read 9,058,979 times
It's funny how these con artists manage to include the terms "city" and "livable" in the same sentence...

Old 08-21-2017, 12:39 PM

9,099 posts, read 6,297,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
It's funny how these con artists manage to include the terms "city" and "livable" in the same sentence...
There is no con.

If someone can't understand that different people like and thrive on different things, then perhaps that person should interact more with other people with different views.

To say someone MUST be conning someone into believing cities are liveable and have different levels of liveability is denying the history of humankind.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:49 PM

9,099 posts, read 6,297,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I don't mean to call you out specifically but this is a very US-centric point of view.

There is a reason US cities never make these lists. The "desirable" cities in the US really aren't so desirable in a global context. Huge divide between rich and poor. San Diego's climate isn't all that unique, and beautiful weather and scenery does not pay the bills. The major cities in the US just aren't very livable to the majority of the people.
" best in the world " is an overused phrase. I would hope most would be dubious of it's use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaja9AE2rs

Old 09-07-2017, 12:16 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,433,866 times
Ohh the usual hogwash "best cities" list.....ahahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I feel depressed with these rankings. São Paulo is falling year after year, and this year it is in the bottom 20.
Don't worry...for the most part these ranking are, at best, extremely subjective and limited in their parameters and, at worst, pure unadulterated BS

I would rather live in Sao Paulo than Helsinki 100 times out of 100.....yes I visited both of them...

Old 09-07-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For fun, here are the 10 "happiest" countries in the world:

1. Norway
2. Denmark
3. Iceland
4. Switzerland
5. Finland
6. Netherlands
7. Canada
8. New Zealand
9. Australia
10. Sweden

Interesting quite few of them have high suicide rates...go figure LOL

Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Climate isn't nearly as important to most people as one might conclude from reading the City-Data forum.
Climate maybe is not important to some people living in places with crappy weather...they simply do not know any better....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World