U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:27 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,324,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I don't mean to call you out specifically but this is a very US-centric point of view.

There is a reason US cities never make these lists. The "desirable" cities in the US really aren't so desirable in a global context. Huge divide between rich and poor. San Diego's climate isn't all that unique, and beautiful weather and scenery does not pay the bills. The major cities in the US just aren't very livable to the majority of the people.
According to your metrics, there are cities that do not deserve to be in that list and are not Americans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
France and Spain are afflicted with a number of issues that stymy the QOL. Unemployment, for example.

...it's interesting that an astute observation of many Spanish cities will make you realize that under certain perspective their citizen actually have a better QOL that some of these cities in the top spots....for example I can easily see more poverty and misery in Vancouver than in Valencia....

Old 09-07-2017, 01:14 AM

6,037 posts, read 3,694,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Interesting quite few of them have high suicide rates...go figure LOL
None of these countries has high suicide rates. Go figure.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
None of these countries has high suicide rates. Go figure.
Time to look at some stats....

......Scandinavian countries, some of the supposedly "happiest" countries in the world, are among the highest in Europe....a well known facts for decades...

Almost all in this group of mentioned "happy" countries are in the double digits (Finland reaches almost 15, Greece is at 3.2 in comparison)..I guess they are so happy that they want to kill themselves...go figure again

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-07-2017 at 02:32 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Time to look at some stats....

......Scandinavian countries, some of the supposedly "happiest" countries in the world, are among the highest in Europe....a well known facts for decades...

Almost all in this group of mentioned "happy" countries are in the double digits (Finland reaches almost 15, Greece is at 3.2 in comparison)...go figure again
They are not amongst the highest in Europe. Eastern Europe has the highest suicide rates in Europe. Only Finland is a bit higher but it's not even within top 30 of the most suicidal countries. America is just a bit lower, for example.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
They are not amongst the highest in Europe. Eastern Europe has the highest suicide rates in Europe. Only Finland is a bit higher but it's not even within top 30 of the most suicidal countries. America is just a bit lower, for example.

I meant advanced Europe, EU....and no Eastern European country is on that silly list of "happy countries"....for countries that should be considered "happy" double digit is very high among advanced nations....

Old 09-07-2017, 03:01 AM

Food for thought......

"Dark lands: the grim truth behind the 'Scandinavian miracle'"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-norway-sweden

TIME

"Why the Happiest States Have the Highest Suicide Rates"

Why the Happiest States Have the Highest Suicide Rates | TIME.com

"Happiest Places Post Highest Suicide Rates"

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...suicide-rates/

Finally

"The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia"

Michael Booth

https://www.amazon.com/Almost-Nearly...=Michael+Booth

"Those sky-high happiness surveys, it turns out, are mostly bunk. Asking people “Are you happy?” means different things in different cultures. In Japan, for instance, answering “Yes” seems like boasting, Booth points out. Whereas in Denmark, it’s considered “shameful to be unhappy,” newspaper editor Anne Knudsen says in the book.

Moreover, there is a group of people that believes the Danes are lying when they say they’re the happiest people on the planet. This group is known as “Danes.”

“Over the years I have asked many Danes about these happiness surveys — whether they really believe that they are the global happiness champions — and I have yet to meet a single one of them who seriously believes it’s true,” Booth writes. “They tend to approach the subject of their much-vaunted happiness like the victims of a practical joke waiting to discover who the perpetrator is.”"

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-07-2017 at 03:16 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
I meant advanced Europe, EU....and no Eastern European country is on that silly list of "happy countries"....for countries that should be considered "happy" double digit is very high among advanced nations....
That's even more laughable as all advanced European countries have their suicide rates on the same level. Norway, Germany, and Denmark are actually on the lower side. In fact, most developed countries have similar suicide rates, aka double digits, save for a few outliers, such as Korea, Belgium and Japan, who are on sky rocket level (15+ or even close to 25, in Korea's case). Canada, America, Australia, France all have them on double digits.

The only countries in Europe with low suicide rates are Southern European ones, and they are barely more advanced than Eastern/Central Europe nowadays. Greece and Portugal for example are totally below the likes of Estonia and the Czech Republic on nearly every metric possible.

Last edited by Greysholic; 09-07-2017 at 03:43 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
That's even more laughable as all advanced European countries have their suicide rates on the same level. Norway, Germany, and Denmark are actually on the lower side. In fact, all developed countries have similar suicide rates, aka double digits, save for a few outliers, such as Korea and Japan, who are on sky rocket level (20+ or close to that). Canada, America, Australia, France all have them on double digits.

The only countries in Europe with low suicide rates are Southern European ones, and they are barely more advanced than Eastern/Central Europe nowadays. Greece and Portugal for example are totally below the likes of Estonia and the Czech Republic on nearly every metric possible.

Again, look at stats...Scandinavian among the highest and quite a lot of EU countries below double digit.

Southern EU countries "barely more advanced than Eastern European ones?? talking about laughing ahahahah!!!....Do yourself a favor and travel more my friend....maybe you can start reading some of the links I posted...

These happiness surveys are indeed bunk....highly debatable, or worse, total BS.

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-07-2017 at 04:11 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 AM

198 posts, read 54,719 times
Quote:
Again, look at stats...Scandinavian among the highest and quite a lot of EU countries below double digit.

Southern EU countries "barely more advanced than Eastern European ones?? talking about laughing ahahahah!!!....Do yourself a favor and travel more my friend....maybe you can start reading some of the links I posted...

These Happiness surveys are indeed bunk....total BS.
I've done a fair bit of traveling and I could subscribe to Grey's opinion that some southern countries are actually behind the likes of Estonia and Czechia. The south is generally not known for 'advancement'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World