U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 AM

1,967 posts, read 853,654 times

Advertisements

1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
= 5. Calgary, Canada
= 5. Adelaide, Australia
7. Perth, Australia
8. Auckland, New Zealand
9. Helsinki, Finland
10. Hamburg, Germany

Source:World's 10 most livable cities in 2017 - CNN | CNN Travel
Thoughts"

I agre with Melbourne and Vienna. I would replace Adelaide with Sydney, Munich or Zurich. Calgary seems odd too. I would replace Perth with Stockholm and Helsinki with Amsterdam. Also Hamburg with Geneva
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 AM

10,534 posts, read 4,486,256 times
I'm very skeptical of this list. Calgary has a very poor climate, is very isolated, and has poor public transportation. Vancouver also has a poor climate and is extremely expensive. I would think that cities like Nice, Barcelona, Monaco, Genoa, Rome, etc, would dominate the list

Old 08-16-2017, 09:41 AM

9,594 posts, read 9,560,315 times
San Diego has been called the city with the best climate in the world. That should have put it somewhere on this list. I'm dubious of the list too.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 AM

18,505 posts, read 22,799,418 times
Climate isn't nearly as important to most people as one might conclude from reading the City-Data forum.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM

5,032 posts, read 1,547,529 times
I can only agree with others who have expressed criticism at these annual meaningless rankings.

Quote:

It's a meaningless tick useful only for politicking by all sides

The EIU’s ranking isn’t based on the attractiveness of each city as a place for ordinary people to live. Rather, it’s a guide to international companies on what they should pay their execs while they’re on assignment in other cities.

As much as critics might think the Index should favour dense, exciting cities like Paris, the EIU explained last year why cities like Melbourne are preferred for expatriates over arguably more interesting places

Those that score best tend to be mid-sized cities in wealthier countries with a relatively low population density.

These cities can foster a range of recreational activities without leading to high crime levels or overburdened infrastructure…

Global business centres tend to be victims of their own success.

The “big city buzz” that they enjoy can overstretch infrastructure and cause higher crime rates.

New York, London, Paris and Tokyo are all prestigious hubs with a wealth of recreational activity, but all suffer from higher levels of crime, congestion and public transport problems than would be deemed comfortable.

Is the EIU's World's Most Liveable City gong rubbish? - Crikey

Does being the most liveable city in the world mean anything? - Crikey

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-16-2017 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 10:49 AM

8,969 posts, read 9,602,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Climate isn't nearly as important to most people as one might conclude from reading the City-Data forum.
Not in my case Climate is very important to me. If this list were up to me, I would put Honolulu, San Diego and Singapore at the top. Places like Ottawa would be near the bottom of cities in developed countries for me

Old 08-16-2017, 10:57 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,946,300 times
Climate certainly has a varied range of preferences as well. For example, I think Vancouver's climate is pretty great all things considered, where Singapore's is like Florida at its hottest/most humid, all year long. I actually think the list has some credence. The cities listed are extremely safe, have great amenities, transit, are extremely walkable and have plenty of things happening.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM

5,374 posts, read 5,242,752 times
A lot of cold cities are declining and people are moving to warmer places. It is particularly common in big countries like America and China. Air-conditioning makes hot places more livable than before.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:40 PM

4,592 posts, read 7,365,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
A lot of cold cities are declining and people are moving to warmer places. It is particularly common in big countries like America and China. Air-conditioning makes hot places more livable than before.
To be certain, Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary are far from declining cities, with growth pressures that strain their abilities at times.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM

6,114 posts, read 6,636,051 times
At minimum I really like all of them, I love some of them quite a lot too. Especially Melbourne.

Great list, I agree. There are other very solid candidates as well but no gripes with the 10 that made the list, great cities, all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World