U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 AM

5,268 posts, read 2,069,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A lot of places that have seen high levels of emigration also have a "diaspora vs. non-diaspora" dynamic going on.

A friend of mine was just telling me last week that he want back to Haiti this summer. He's been gone since childhood, but still speaks fluent Creole. His story was about haggling with a vendor over some pieces of art in Port-au-Prince. He says the guy wanted to screw him over on the price because he didn't think of him as Haitian. He looks and sounds pretty Haitian to me, but obviously I am not aware of all of the cues. So my friend had to establish his "cred" as a true Haitian with the guy, in order to get the price he wanted.

I assume that a place like Jamaica likely has this diaspora vs. non-diaspora thing going on. Ontario does not. Quebec used to, but no longer does IMO. A place like Newfoundland definitely does, especially with regard to the offspring of people who've gone to work in the Alberta oilpatch.

My husband deals with this all the time. He left his country when he was around 29. He left for a few years to trying working somewhere else and came back then met me and immigrated to Canada once we got married. Everytime he goes back home when trying to buy stuff in markets he always has this problem. Often in bigger cities. It is little clues like how you are dressed and how you carry yourself that hint that you are walking in with foreign money and can pay more. When we are shopping together he warns me just to point at what I want and not say a word because as soon as I speak the price will shoot up.

When in Egypt we got followed around in Cario by people speaking English trying to sell us appartments lol. We both can pass for Egyptian so the fact that we where getting approached in English was really confusing. Then I realized my husband was wearing a black baseball cap with a tiny maple leaf on the back with that bukly was and that is all it took. Men there don't typically where baseball caps. The baseball cap and that tiny maple leaf is all it took.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 AM

3,181 posts, read 3,253,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A lot of places that have seen high levels of emigration also have a "diaspora vs. non-diaspora" dynamic going on.

A friend of mine was just telling me last week that he want back to Haiti this summer. He's been gone since childhood, but still speaks fluent Creole. His story was about haggling with a vendor over some pieces of art in Port-au-Prince. He says the guy wanted to screw him over on the price because he didn't think of him as Haitian. He looks and sounds pretty Haitian to me, but obviously I am not aware of all of the cues. So my friend had to establish his "cred" as a true Haitian with the guy, in order to get the price he wanted.

I assume that a place like Jamaica likely has this diaspora vs. non-diaspora thing going on. Ontario does not. Quebec used to, but no longer does IMO. A place like Newfoundland definitely does, especially with regard to the offspring of people who've gone to work in the Alberta oilpatch.
Re: Diaspora vs Non-Diaspora thing, that is so true. In Jamaican culture there are three tiers from what I see. You have the "Real Yardies" who are born in Jamaica and have never left; The "Real Yardie but left for foreign" who were born and grew up in JA but left and now dont really have a first hand pulse on how the country is; then the "UB40's" who are people who are born to Jamaican parents elsewhere. Never have lived in Jamaica and cant really truly be thought of as Jamaicans but have some connection to certain parts of the culture.

I fall into group 2.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:02 AM

17,778 posts, read 22,080,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Then I realized my husband was wearing a black baseball cap with a tiny maple leaf on the back with that bukly was and that is all it took. Men there don't typically where baseball caps. The baseball cap and that tiny maple leaf is all it took.
Some people have a knack for picking up on very minor giveaways like that.

I often can pick up on "anglos" (Canadian or American) here in Quebec even without them saying a word.

Less observant people often freak out when I do that. "OMG How can you tell?!?!".

Anyone else able to do this?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:57 AM

5,003 posts, read 2,052,220 times
That reminds me of how I can tell Ukrainian, Moldovan, Romanian or generally eastern european women on the bus here. There don't look drastically different (like Pakistanis do) but there's something that tells me they're not Italian.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:55 PM

5,731 posts, read 9,281,723 times
Inevitable guarantee of Globalization accelerating from these complex intermingling dynamics. Visiting is entirely separate from living with international travel routes itinerary versus native residential. Avoiding friction of problems is not easily salvageable. Spontaneous flow without restrictions with the entire combination of affairs happening absolutely everywhere on this World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World