U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 PM

233 posts, read 99,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You must not be keeping up with the news. NYC is, and has been for a good number of years, the safest big city in America. It is statistically much safer than Boston, for example.
Violent crime wise, sure in the city. Both cities have extremely low crime rates so I wouldnt say its MUCH safer.. just wouldnt want to live there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:52 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Violent crime wise, sure in the city. Both cities have extremely low crime rates so I wouldnt say its MUCH safer.. just wouldnt want to live there.
In 2017, New York City (all 5 boroughs) had less than half the murder rate of Boston (3.3 vs 8.7 per 100k), but also substantially lower rates for violent crime and all crime. Here are the stats: https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/...d_Analysis.pdf

But yeah, both cities have low crime rates by US standards. If you already knew that then why did you say that NYC "has way too much crime"? I am confused.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 795,391 times
New York? Just the opposite. I'd rather live in NYC than visit there.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
In 2017, New York City (all 5 boroughs) had less than half the murder rate of Boston (3.3 vs 8.7 per 100k), but also substantially lower rates for violent crime and all crime. Here are the stats: https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/...d_Analysis.pdf

But yeah, both cities have low crime rates by US standards. If you already knew that then why did you say that NYC "has way too much crime"? I am confused.
NYC Metro vs Boston Metro the stats are a bit different. I didnt like it when I was there.. sorry.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:

NYC Metro vs Boston Metro the stats are a bit different. I didnt like it when I was there for college.. sorry.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:43 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
NYC Metro vs Boston Metro the stats are a bit different. I didnt like it when I was there for college.. sorry.
No need to keep saying sorry. I promise you that nobody's feelings are being hurt because you don't like NY.

However, your opinion would have a little more weight and credibility if it were based on facts, and not blatant misinformation.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 PM

I don't consider a city to be an "amazing tourist destination" if the city would still exist in almost exactly the same form, even if it had no tourists at all. What would New York be like if it had no tourists? Well, I guess it would be New York. Can you say that about Aruba or Bali or Cozumel . . . or Zanzibar?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,244,066 times
I wouldn't call it hell, plenty of people live there like these Dutch, Canadian-Aussie and New Zealand guys below. However, the constant rain, chill and cloud plus the really bad traffic would put me off Bogota. If only they had more No car days a year...

Great place to be for a few months though if you like cultural events, independent music scene, theatre, literature and art. Living in it is more of a chore.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 AM

When the phony gas crisis was in full flight back in the 70s, there were a lot of countries that banned cars one day a week for years. We had a rental in Tanzania, and had to leave it parked on Sunday. I think Belgium, for one , had a no-car day every week.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:50 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
NYC/Paris/London tend to be popular answers to this sort of question, but I think that given the right personality, these cities provide a great deal of quality of life in exchange for the challenges.

The worst cities are the ones that are overrun with tourists, especially with inadequate infrastructure, because the quality of life will be geared towards them vs. the residents. Venice, for example, or the parts of Barcelona that are popular, like Barri Gotic or Raval.

On the other hand I have been to Barcelona during the off season and if it were like that year round it would not be too bad. Still a fair number of tourists, but not shoulder to shoulder 5th avenue-like masses of humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or