Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,194,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
People are crazy. I would LOVE to live in Paris or Venice.

And I live in NYC. Greatest place I have ever lived.

These are the best places on earth to live, not the worst.
I have to agree with this 1000%.

I get why people wouldn't want to live in NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc. type of cities, but those types of cities are my ideal place to live. I really couldn't live happily anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 01:15 PM

24,205 posts, read 24,646,382 times
Quote:
People are crazy. I would LOVE to live in Paris or Venice.
Yuck. Venice and Florence are maybe THE European cities where tourists have destroyed the whole vibe and the natives have fled.

I would never live in either. They aren't Italian cities anymore but disneylands for tourists. Just like NYC wouldn't be NYC without New Yorkers.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,238,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yuck. Venice and Florence are maybe THE European cities where tourists have destroyed the whole vibe and the natives have fled.
These cities are popular with tourists because they're so amazing.

And if you hate tourists, you'll have to avoid any desirable city.

Anyways, there are lots of neighborhoods that aren't full of tourists. Venice, after sundown, and in the morning, is mostly Venetians. It's only in the middle of the day, with the tour bus hordes, right in the center, where Venice feels like tourist hell. But not in Cannaregio or Dorsoduro.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Anyways, there are lots of neighborhoods that aren't full of tourists. Venice, after sundown, and in the morning, is mostly Venetians. It's only in the middle of the day, with the tour bus hordes, right in the center, where Venice feels like tourist hell. But not in Cannaregio or Dorsoduro.
I don't hate tourists, but let Venice be a warning what too many tourists can do to a place. Ask the Doge.

Not that I have a pure heart either, as I've been as a tourist in Venice.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:22 PM
F18

542 posts, read 524,759 times
[quote=NOLA101;49329240]People are crazy. I would LOVE to live in Paris or Venice.

And I live in NYC. Greatest place I have ever lived.

These are the best places on earth to live, not the worst.[/QUOTE/]
To say that either you are very rich and have an excellent job or you have connections and family in those cities. If you had a poor paid job, an illegal immigrant or live the lives of the majority of inhabitants there you wouldn't be saying such nonsense.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:26 PM
F18

542 posts, read 524,759 times
Quote:

Being a tourist and a resident is NOT the same. Especially in cities with tonnes of tourists. You have to be blind to think that you would the same things as tourists in a city you live.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Being a tourist and a resident is NOT the same. Especially in cities with tonnes of tourists. You have to be blind to think that you would the same things as tourists in a city you live.
Yes, put 10 million Finns and Portuguese to roam in NYC 24/7 and the city wouldn't be the same anymore.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:06 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,224,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
What would the main differences be between living in a city the size of Barcelona/Milan and one the size of Paris? I can't imagine someone disliking big cities being happy in either!
You're crazy, Paris is substantially larger than either. The main issue with Paris is that I could not afford to live in Paris but in some place at the end of a RER line. At this point, better live in a smaller large city. But to each his own.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:00 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Sao Paulo did a really good job of making itself safer I believe. Its homicide rate fell below 10/100k which is lower than cities like Houston, Washington DC, or Kansas City
Since 2006, when we had an attack of the criminal gang PCC in all of the city, the government of São Paulo made the safety as the priority, and now is the second largest budget of the state, only after education. The city of São Paulo still has the typical issues of large cities, it still has areas to be avoided, but the criminality overall diminished drastically.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,626,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I have to agree with this 1000%.

I get why people wouldn't want to live in NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc. type of cities, but those types of cities are my ideal place to live. I really couldn't live happily anywhere else.
because they can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World