Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,294,871 times

Advertisements

NYC doesn't belong in this category imo, pretty amazing place to live and even if you don't like Manhattan's constant rush hour, the outerboroughs are much quieter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 PM

12,069 posts, read 7,857,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
NYC doesn't belong in this category imo, pretty amazing place to live and even if you don't like Manhattan's constant rush hour, the outerboroughs are much quieter
Ehh after being there for four years it is a bit different. A lot of people would just like it to visit. North Jersey is beautiful though

Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,522,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I will start. I love the time i spent in Moscow but i would not be able to live there. Very aggressive society, language is difficult( at my age learning a new language get's pretty tiresome) and the culture is just too different.
I lived there for 2 years and loved it. I don't think the culture is aggressive at all. As a matter of fact I think it is the complete opposite and quite docile. I never had a hostile encounter with random strangers like I have had some places. Old ladies were falling over themselves to get up and give me their Metro seats when I broke my ankle.

The language is difficult to become fluent in but you can learn enough to navigate reasonably well in a couple months. Cyrillic is very easy to pick up. Many people speak English, especially younger generations.

--------------------
My entry would be Bangkok. I would get tired of the "farang" treatment that was so obvious when I visited for a couple weeks. I got the feeling that I was just a big dollar sign walking around many parts of town and it's so sleazy and/or touristy in some spots. Dealing with drunk tourists and sex tourists on a daily basis would also destroy what little faith I have left in humanity.

I may be able to handle Chiang Mai or Koh Samui but Bangkok is too much.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:37 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,890,745 times
While I am moderate enthusiastic fan of Fes Morocco, there are opposite sides of town that I am never witnessing prior in any other case. Ancient classical Medina is jigsaw puzzle maze of car ridden walkways, Souk antiques, Carpet Rugs, poverty Muslim victims, food poisoning, then modern districts that emotionally are galaxies away with Luxury Hotels, shiny posh futuristic buildings, ultra trendy pseudo French style Independent cafes with bright glow, nightlife access, and even major Fruit Smoothie stand without even selling these agricultural staples! Discrepancy of variables is astonishing. Without my own favorite top 10 Independent business stores in Fes, there is guarantee of literal collapse or negative degeneration or tragedies. Keep everything sacred.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:19 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,384,754 times
Thankfully, a lot of places can be pleasant if one has money and social connections there. Unfortunately, most places can be unpleasant when lacking the same.

Its difficult to truly evaluate a place without sharing its language.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:08 AM

6,464 posts, read 8,155,008 times
Smaller cities overcrowded with tourists
Cities with great scenery but terrible weather
Cities with a lot of crime

Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,353,781 times
Any American city. Considering how much americans despise Hispanics and think the worst of us I wouldn't want to live there. Even visiting feels weird.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:08 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Any American city. Considering how much americans despise Hispanics and think the worst of us I wouldn't want to live there. Even visiting feels weird.
Americans do not despise Hispanics. Even if they did, I guess even being despised, many Hispanics are treated much better by Americans than by their own people in their home countries, which is why they do all they can, including risking their lives, to get to the US, then do all they can to stay.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:36 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times
Quote:
You are way wrapped up in the anti-American mythology that your head has been innoculated with by your media.

There are nearly twice as many Hispanics in the US as there are people, of any origin, in Canada.

Are there Americans that despise Hispanics? Yes. But there are also Americans who despise White Anglos, Americans who despise Blacks, Americans who despise Germans, Americans who despise anything under the sun.

Fortunately, these a-holes make up a small percentage of the population. There are very, very few places where a Hispanic person would have to worry about being persecuted in America, and most of those places, anyone not from that poor, backwater is viewed suspiciously, too.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:12 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,706,199 times
Quote:
You don't know how lucky it is to be Hispanic.

Ungrateful people.

Life is toughest for Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World