Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 04:25 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,256,236 times

Advertisements

Venice of course

Paris to a certain extent

Large southern Italian cities like Naples or Palermo, unless you enjoy dangerous traffic and poor services

All amazing tourist destinations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:01 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,231,559 times
New Orleans due to crime.
NYC, London, SF, Sydney, Singapore, Hong Kong, Zurich - These cities are nice to visit but very expensive to live in.
Beijing - Due to the air pollution.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:35 AM

1,892 posts, read 1,673,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Venice of course

Paris to a certain extent

Large southern Italian cities like Naples or Palermo, unless you enjoy dangerous traffic and poor services

All amazing tourist destinations
There are three Paris:

Paris of tourists

Paris of parisians

Paris of people living in suburbs

While the first one is "usually" great (I hope ), second one too -depending on the area where you bought your flat ofc- the third one is...exhausting.
long rides of RER, fill during rush hours, traffic jams, near Paris without being inside (the worst imo), pollution, high price of everything. When you are young It's totally fine, you don't care, you are ready to come back at 1 AM with the last RER. At 50-60 it must be horrible.

I'm not sure there's a massive city that is relaxing anyway lol, that's the problem with these big cities...

Old 08-27-2017, 10:28 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,256,236 times
I still remember going there by plane last time (spring 2014) and arriving at CDG airport, then going straight to visit a museum near Boulogne and needing an hour and a half just for the commute, which was almost longer than the plane trip itself.

I guess it's the same in London / NYC / Tokyo / etc. though

I think I'm fine with living in a (sub?) 1 million metro area. I could do something like Barcelona / Munich / Milan but anything bigger gets tiresome.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:47 AM

8,161 posts, read 8,709,562 times
What would the main differences be between living in a city the size of Barcelona/Milan and one the size of Paris? I can't imagine someone disliking big cities being happy in either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
When you are young It's totally fine, you don't care, you are ready to come back at 1 AM with the last RER. At 50-60 it must be horrible.
The RER timetables are a disgrace. 1 am is quite early, especially considering the habit of going out late in France. Then you have the choice to wait for the first train. I was lucky to live in a suburb with subway access, friends living on RER lines were always the first to go back home.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:52 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,284,008 times
People are crazy. I would LOVE to live in Paris or Venice.

And I live in NYC. Greatest place I have ever lived.

These are the best places on earth to live, not the worst.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
What would the main differences be between living in a city the size of Barcelona/Milan and one the size of Paris? I can't imagine someone disliking big cities being happy in either!

The RER timetables are a disgrace. 1 am is quite early, especially considering the habit of going out late in France. Then you have the choice to wait for the first train. I was lucky to live in a suburb with subway access, friends living on RER lines were always the first to go back home.
Well after it's Uber or sleep in the bath or the first one yes lol. Yes it's early but we don't have the choice... Personally, Since my appartement is near a RER railroad, I m fine with it =]...

Metros are better than RERs, on almost every aspect. But at least RERs are there. They are just overused. The future metro 15 should reduce the pressure on the RER network, and since they are also modernizing rer trains and their railroads, they should be better to use. In theory.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
People are crazy. I would LOVE to live in Paris or Venice.

And I live in NYC. Greatest place I have ever lived.

These are the best places on earth to live, not the worst.
Suburbs aren't Paris...there's a difference. Really.
In Paris yes.
In Créteil, meh.
You also have the west, like Saint Cloud, but it's not Paris either...more calm, more quiet, less things to do at night...

Old 08-27-2017, 11:18 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,867,745 times
New Orleans and Miami Beach, great for vacation not as fun to live, the career jobs do not pay very well and it is too hot and humid for me most of the year.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:44 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,206,307 times
Las Vegas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World