U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which structure is most stunning/impressive?
Pyramids of Giza 11 28.21%
Great Wall of China 13 33.33%
Taj Mahal 1 2.56%
Machu Picchu 2 5.13%
Angkor Wat 3 7.69%
Forbidden City 0 0%
Bagan 0 0%
Karnak 0 0%
Teotihuacan 1 2.56%
Eiffel Tower 0 0%
Empire State Building 0 0%
Acropolis 0 0%
Potala Palace 0 0%
TerraCotta Warriors 0 0%
Chichen Itza 0 0%
Petra 0 0%
Colosseum (Rome) 0 0%
Vatican Complex 1 2.56%
Stonehenge 1 2.56%
Saint Basil's Cathedral 1 2.56%
Alhambra 1 2.56%
Hagia Sophia 0 0%
Borobudur 0 0%
Burj Khalifa 0 0%
Versailles 2 5.13%
Leaning Tower of Pisa 1 2.56%
Other 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 06:30 AM

117 posts, read 27,065 times

Advertisements

The Taj Mahal is stunning. However, as far as an architectural feat, I'd say the Great Wall even though it's nothing to "look at".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 AM

418 posts, read 94,107 times
I wish Tenochtitlan was still around. I love Mesoamerican style pyramids far more than the ones found at Giza, not to take anything away from the latter.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:33 AM

2,918 posts, read 1,832,458 times
It "kind of" is, on the form of ruins at El Templo Mayor. Granted, not nearly the same experience, but, is still cool to walk grounds and perhaps it will be refurbished with time. Was Tenpchtitlan at its peak even more impressive than Teotihuacan? Just curious.

Any wonder that you can truly interact with I think enhances it's rating. The idea of a large complex that you almost have the ability to repeatedly go back and study, is pretty amazing. For example, the fact that you can actually climb Teotihuacan's pyramids, and go inside Giza's.... Whoa.

Last edited by cavsfan137; 09-04-2017 at 06:43 AM..

Old 09-04-2017, 09:52 AM

418 posts, read 94,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
It "kind of" is, on the form of ruins at El Templo Mayor. Granted, not nearly the same experience, but, is still cool to walk grounds and perhaps it will be refurbished with time. Was Tenpchtitlan at its peak even more impressive than Teotihuacan? Just curious.

Any wonder that you can truly interact with I think enhances it's rating. The idea of a large complex that you almost have the ability to repeatedly go back and study, is pretty amazing. For example, the fact that you can actually climb Teotihuacan's pyramids, and go inside Giza's.... Whoa.
Oh indeed, I've got nothing against the pyramids of Giza, as they are spectacular by any measure. i just find the style of pyramid from Central America far more fascinating, even if they are not quite as tall.

Teotihuacan is very impressive and not just because of the pyramids but the whole complex. I'm also a big fan of Chichen Itza, Mayapan, Uxmal and the like.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:56 AM

9,371 posts, read 11,792,544 times
I have, twice. Both times were windy and a bit scary. The steps are very irregular and dangerous (someone can easily slip). I'm glad I did visit, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Have you been? How was the experience? Reading about it, I must say it is pretty mind blowing to think about how it was done. In terms of scale/size, that one stands ahead of many of these for certain. I would like to learn more about the process they went through to get it done.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,243,821 times
The ones I've been to:

-Taj Mahal-a very beautiful building that looks like a mirage depending on the lighting. It's almost otherworldly.
-Machu Picchu-haven't been yet
-Angkor Wat(MY VOTE)-(the entire complex, not just the temple that gives it its name) is very impressive. I didn't understand the magnitude of the place until I visited it. Apparently it was one of the largest cities in the world in its heyday. The Khmer Empire was incredibly advanced for the time and the waterworks it built to support the city are still impressive. Even in ruins, the entire place is jaw dropping.
-Acropolis-The setting is more impressive than the building(which I'm not saying isn't impressive...). Definitely a bucket list item but Delphi had a bigger impact on me.
-Petra-Pretty cool. A bit too deserty to win my vote though.
-The Vatican Complex-Kicking myself for not going while in Rome.
-Roman Colosseum-Meh.
-Burj Khalifa-Worth seeing but not in the same league as the other places on the list.
-Versailles-Honestly a little boring after seeing Peterhof(better fountains), Catherine's Palace(better exterior), and the Winter Palace(better interior) in St. Petersburg.
-Hagia Sophia-Kicking myself for not getting around to seeing this while in Istanbul("saved" it for Monday when it's closed)
-Saint Basil's Cathedral-Red Square altogether is very impressive. Perhaps the most impressive city square on Earth. St. Basil's is just one, albeit major, piece of it and it's a bit somber inside.
-Empire State Building-It always fascinated me when I lived in NYC but it's not in the same league as the others.
-Eiffel Tower-Beautiful. It lived up to its reputation but it's basically just a big landmark.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:52 PM

9,571 posts, read 5,426,585 times
Yet another thread that dismisses Australian landmarks/cities.

Anyhow, I will go with the Pyramids of Giza, the Colosseum, Petra and The Great Wall of China. Btw, your poll should have been a multiple choice. There were a number of good options up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
IDK what on Earth the monstrosity built on blood oil and slave labour called Burj Khalifa is doing on the list. Ugly phallic symbol built with concrete and glass.
This times a million.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:17 PM

3,121 posts, read 4,624,642 times
Angkor wat for me, with the Vatican complex a good second. I have been to all the western European and the vast majority of the east Asian structures listed, as well as Petra and Hagia Sophia.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yet another thread that dismisses Australian landmarks/cities.

Anyhow, I will go with the Pyramids of Giza, the Colosseum, Petra and The Great Wall of China. Btw, your poll should have been a multiple choice. There were a number of good options up there.

This times a million.
Yeah, multiple choice may have been a better idea. Burj Khalifa is on the list because it is the tallest structure man has made in human history, to this point. That may not necessarily be THAT impressive, and as I said, it probably will be replaced at some point in the next few years, but I consider whatever or wherever the highest, or largest building on earth to be, a hallmark of human achievement, of that time at least.

Re: Australia, there are two major ones I could think that perhaps belong in a Top 25, or perhaps a Top 10 of the past 100 years, which would be the Harbour Bridge, and the Opera House. I'm not familiar enough with either to know whether the Harbour Bridge would be considered more monumental/innovative than say the Golden Gate, or like Itaipu Dam or something, and I'm not familiar enough with the unique architectural characteristics of the Opera House that might make me say it is that unduplicable. I didn't include it, because, though it was a forerunner and is still highly beautiful (one of the world's most iconic and beautiful buildings), there are other stunning performance centers around the world too (the Kauffman Center in KC, for example, seems to share a number of architectural features of the SOH, likely modeled after it:
http://nebraskaacousticsgroup.org/wp...4/IMG_6035.jpg
http://blog.ericbowersphoto.com/wp-c...as-city-10.jpg
Not quite as impressive, but still very much impressive.

And then you have other stunning modern venues like the National Theatre in Beijing and the City for the Arts and Sciences in Valencia, Spain.
http://planetden.com/wp-content/uplo...chitecture.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-_Jan_2007.jpg

Plus stunning old theatres like the Opera Garnier in Paris or the Salzburg Landestheatre (State Theatre). It seems unfair to pick just one theatre, and anyways, I don't think those on your list, or on others lists for the most part would be considered in a Global Top 1, or Top 5, though they are very worth seeing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Sydney is one of the outstanding cities in the entire world, and I hope to make it back again eventually.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

Seems like the 5 that got the most talk were, in somewhat of order:

1. Great Wall of China
2. Pyramids of Giza
3. Angkor Wat (very unfamiliar with this one, but definitely on my list now)
4. Machu Picchu
5. Taj Mahal

Some others I saw that received claim were:
-Mayan/Aztec ruins of Mexico
-Colosseum
...and more recent (within last 500 years)
-Vatican Complex
-Versailles (only relatively recent one receiving more than one vote, though another person said it was overrated. I visited the Catherine Palace in Saint Petersburg, along with the fountains at Peterhof, and can't imagine something more impressive than that, but I will have to visit and see for myself).
-Saint Basil's Cathedral/Red Square in general (on my to do list).

In your opinions, are there any places/structures within the last 100 years (10 years? next 10 years?) that would belong among these, or at least would stand above any other place in recent history? It doesn't have to be necessarily a building type structure either. For example, high on my list is taking the metro system in say, Tokyo or Shanghai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World