U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:10 PM

1,263 posts, read 389,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is nice to see England is at the top. Even more than Sweden. Way to go England!
Indeed! English natives are quite good in english! Yet Irish people seem tough competitors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 PM

7,802 posts, read 7,536,568 times
Too bad that map doesn't show all of the European nations.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:55 PM
AFP

5,076 posts, read 2,749,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Spain has one of the lowest English proficiency in Europe. In fact, as soon as you are outside the usual tourist areas, people don't seem to be able to communicate in English. I had the experience several times, even asking for direction is difficult.

A better question is what percentage actually speak English well enough to be understood by native English speakers. Some of those countries I suspect are counting people as English proficient that one would be hard pressed to understand past their accent. In addition I suspect some of the countries listed as having lower percentages actually have more people percentage wise that speak decent English.

I've also met people from countries where English is an official language and what they actually speak is really bad English.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 PM

322 posts, read 96,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
A better question is what percentage actually speak English well enough to be understood by native English speakers. Some of those countries I suspect are counting people as English proficient that one would be hard pressed to understand past their accent. In addition I suspect some of the countries listed as having lower percentages actually have more people percentage wise that speak decent English.

I've also met people from countries where English is an official language and what they actually speak is really bad English.
Pidgin?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:14 PM

15,846 posts, read 19,799,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

That's not a country, that's Tennessee

Old 08-30-2017, 01:25 PM

10,548 posts, read 4,493,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This doesn't surprise me. I live right next to Mexico and even in the border towns, there aren't as many English speakers as one might think. In fact there was a thread here recently about this very fact though it took a negative turn.
Lol. What else can you expect from some people on this website

Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM
AFP

5,076 posts, read 2,749,564 times
Quote:
Eastern Kentucky also.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 7,017,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Do people in Spain or Mexico generally have better English proficiency?
Both countries have better English proficiency than the US Americans.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 7,017,602 times
Quote:
And Texas.

We have our own version of the language though, and it ain't the Queen's English.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 PM

15,846 posts, read 19,799,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
And Texas.

We have our own version of the language though, and it ain't the Queen's English.
I can usually understand Texans though, at least the fact that the vocabulary is English if for not understanding how the words are used. Appalachia is a different world altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World