U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2017, 11:28 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
14,369 posts, read 15,880,676 times
Reputation: 26899

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Both countries have better English proficiency than the US Americans.
You have clearly never been to Spain or Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2017, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
7,618 posts, read 7,560,139 times
Reputation: 5986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You have clearly never been to Spain or Mexico.
It was a joke.

But I did live in Mexico for two year back in the day. Never have been to Spain though.

IMO, half of America is semi-literate, including yours truly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 04:21 AM
 
422 posts, read 127,597 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
A better question is what percentage actually speak English well enough to be understood by native English speakers. Some of those countries I suspect are counting people as English proficient that one would be hard pressed to understand past their accent. In addition I suspect some of the countries listed as having lower percentages actually have more people percentage wise that speak decent English.


I've also met people from countries where English is an official language and what they actually speak is really bad English.


In Spain, a very high percentage speaks pidgin English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 10:15 PM
 
569 posts, read 401,809 times
Reputation: 784
I was surprised at how few people spoke English in Spain, but even at that it was far more than in Mexico even in border towns, and a better quality English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 05:41 AM
 
571 posts, read 271,707 times
Reputation: 205
Spanish people is more exposed to English language than the average Mexican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 AM
 
6,569 posts, read 7,232,374 times
Reputation: 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Spain has one of the lowest English proficiency in Europe. In fact, as soon as you are outside the usual tourist areas, people don't seem to be able to communicate in English. I had the experience several times, even asking for direction is difficult.
thought germany was higher , id have italy lower than spain from experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
10,014 posts, read 6,611,224 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Spain has one of the lowest English proficiency in Europe. In fact, as soon as you are outside the usual tourist areas, people don't seem to be able to communicate in English. I had the experience several times, even asking for direction is difficult.
Why are there no stats on Norway, Russia, Ukraine and southeastern Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
14,369 posts, read 15,880,676 times
Reputation: 26899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Why are there no stats on Norway, Russia, Ukraine and southeastern Europe?
It is EU data.

Non-EU countries were not surveyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
5,785 posts, read 2,835,211 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That's not a country, that's Tennessee
I was thinking more like Sheffield or Birmingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,132 posts, read 437,298 times
Reputation: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
A better question is what percentage actually speak English well enough to be understood by native English speakers. Some of those countries I suspect are counting people as English proficient that one would be hard pressed to understand past their accent. In addition I suspect some of the countries listed as having lower percentages actually have more people percentage wise that speak decent English.


I've also met people from countries where English is an official language and what they actually speak is really bad English.
Having English as the official language doesn't mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top