U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 PM

712 posts, read 200,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is EU data.

Non-EU countries were not surveyed.
Very soon U.K will be excluded.

But Ireland is to stay, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 04:24 AM

425 posts, read 133,269 times
I have lived either in Spain and Mexico and generally both have bad english speakers but just to remind you, there are lots of mexicans that have been living in US so this is certainly an advantage.

By the way, I have about 400 posts and I am spaniard, would you consider my writing bad?

Old 09-09-2017, 05:48 AM

117 posts, read 13,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Norwegians too. People from the Scandinavian countries speak excellent English. I was reading an online story written by a Finnish person one time and I did not even realize that the writer was not a native-English speaker until they mentioned it later! That is how good their English was

I find that even humble Latins from Ecuador, Colombia and elsewhere have better English command and more language skills than Spanish. Not to talk about Northafricans, that speak fluent French, Spanish, Arab and many speak passable English.

Problem in Spain is the former Francoist past that considered English as subversive, and ALL movies and MEDIA are still DUBBED.

The other problem is political, as in many local government resources are allocated to force local languages, instead of diverting those resoruces to English. I'm in favour of local languages, but not to enforce them on non-speakers to create make-believe nations.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:49 AM

15,792 posts, read 19,449,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I have lived either in Spain and Mexico and generally both have bad english speakers but just to remind you, there are lots of mexicans that have been living in US so this is certainly an advantage.

By the way, I have about 400 posts and I am spaniard, would you consider my writing bad?
Your writing is overall good but there are a few mistakes that make it stand out to a native English speaker. When you said "I have lived in either Spain and Mexico". You want to use the word "both" rather than "either" as the latter has a different meaning. Other than that, the other mistakes are no different than ones I'd make.

Also, Mexicans living in the US does not mean they speak better English. I've run into Mexicans in Seattle and Gary Indiana, far from the border who barely spoke any English. In California, a Spanish speaking peron can get by without using English at all.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Your writing is overall good but there are a few mistakes that make it stand out to a native English speaker. When you said "I have lived in either Spain and Mexico". You want to use the word "both" rather than "either" as the latter has a different meaning. Other than that, the other mistakes are no different than ones I'd make.

Also, Mexicans living in the US does not mean they speak better English. I've run into Mexicans in Seattle and Gary Indiana, far from the border who barely spoke any English. In California, a Spanish speaking peron can get by without using English at all.
Wow! I didn't know about that. I thought that generally English is a must to live in the US. How can they even communicate with others?

Old 09-09-2017, 08:50 PM

15,792 posts, read 19,449,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Wow! I didn't know about that. I thought that generally English is a must to live in the US. How can they even communicate with others?
There are A LOT of Spanish speakers already here. Many bilingual people. A lot of jobs now require you to be bilingual in English and Spanish. There is also a huge selection of media in Spanish; radio, TV and Newspapers available in Spanish. Court documents are available in Spanish. PA announcements and signs are frequently in English and Spanish. If they wish to obtain a driver license, they have to show that they are able to understand simple English words like those on road signs but they can take the test in Spanish (as well as a dozen or so other languages). There are Hispanic (specifically Mexican) grocery stores in the larger metros too. It's pretty easy for them to get by without English.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 AM

117 posts, read 13,984 times
Gentoo

Even in Miami, in which Spanish is dominating from an ecomical, social and political standpoint, you still need good English to bag a good, professional job. You also need good Spanish, not Spanglish...a current issue nowdays. Other languages are also a plus, Portuguese, French, etc.

So there's a constant protest by English-only speakers because large corporations ask Spanish even if not strictly necessary.

In that respect, Miami looks like Europe by the fact that language skills are necessary for many jobs, not just for working as a bagger at Sedano, a Cuban supermarket.

The quality of Spanish has improved dramatically at least in the media, more access to Latin American and Spanish content. Spanish TV being extremely popular and diario El País from Spain is also very popular. El Nuevo Herald, the Spanish version of New Herald, is the only Spanish paper written in very good Spanish in the US.

Last edited by farinello; 09-10-2017 at 04:39 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 05:37 AM

Most "spanish" population in the US come from Mexico, right? Just curious, I am not sure if there are quite a lot spaniards in the US since those prefer UK and Germany rather than US (and also because is terribly hard to go there being spaniard) but there may be significant spanish from Spain population in Florida, but not in California. Anyway, I guess most mexican population concentrates in California and Florida. Back to the topic, even being spaniard I may admit that there may be more mexicans speaking in english because of emigration to the US and also because most qualified jobs in Mexico demands to be bilingual (spanish + english) and even holding a US visa, something that usually doesn't happen in Spain.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:41 AM

2,497 posts, read 470,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Nethernlands 90%! Just five percent behind the UK.
Due to the proximity to the UK, many Dutch watch BBC or other UK channels so they speak really well. WE spent a week in Holland a few years ago & everyone spoke English.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Due to the proximity to the UK, many Dutch watch BBC or other UK channels so they speak really well. WE spent a week in Holland a few years ago & everyone spoke English.
Unfortunately, their pronunciation is not as good as german ones and probably swedish but still good enough to surpass our pronunciation, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World