Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sao Paolo or Mexico City
Sao Paolo 13 34.21%
Mexico City 25 65.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:27 PM

503 posts, read 590,846 times

Advertisements

Which of these two cities do you prefer and why?
Also, which one is more "urban"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 12:40 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Which of these two cities do you prefer and why?
Also, which one is more "urban"?
Mexico City is just like São Paulo. Maybe Mexico City has an advantage, which is the historic heritage, but both are overall extremely similar. However, in Mexico City I wouldn't be near my family and my friends, thus, São Paulo is my obvious choice. If the comparison were of São Paulo with New York, Paris or London, it would be more difficult to answer.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:26 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,584,006 times
For my tastes, at least I think, Mexico City.

As per which one is more urban, that is difficult to say, both are very urban. Sao Paulo likely has more high skyscrapers, I believe it has a higher GDP, is more diverse, slightly larger metro population, etc. I believe Sao Paulo has a higher population density also citywide (20,000 psqm. vs. 16,000 psqm.)

That being said (and this could be off), but from what I have heard, Mexico City is more walkable and has a better and larger and more inviting traditional urban core (places like Coyoacan, Roma, Condesa, Centro, etc.), and also likely has a more established arts scene. I think as a visitor, that aspect would tend to be more important to me. Mexico City is legendary for it's street food scene and drink scene and flavors all around Mexico, and while Sao Paulo's churrascurias are probably amazing also, Mexico City's food offerings just seem so much more distinctive. Sao Paulo is more diverse in it's food offerings, but again, each has it's differences.

In regard to natural beauty, that is very much subjective and I could see where someone who prefers a greener landscape, closer proximity to the beach and still a decent share of topography nearby would take S.P. here. But, I'm a mountains guy, and so I would probably vote for Mexico City due to just how outstanding it's surrounding mountains are (including an active volcano!)

Mexico City also seems to have a better location. Largely for me, because it means I can get there much more quickly and cheaply than SP. But also, just because it seems to have more interesting stuff surrounding it (unique natural attractions, colonial towns and ruins, etc.). Sao Paulo can serve as a gateway to places as varied as Manaus, Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, and Iguazu Falls among many others on the SA continent, but is located a good distance in actuality from any of them, almost requiring a flight from SP to any of them anyways.

I haven't fully experienced either of their climates. But, while neither seems to be one to complain too much about, SPs appears to be more consistently humid and have a longer rainy season (almost a monsoon/flood season), by comparison. Mexico City gets colder in the evenings and mornings, but I also like that.

In summation, though I haven't been to either of them, and I do think both are interesting and want to visit both, Mexico City, both due to it's locations and offerings, is higher on my list. Places like Teotihuacan, the colonial center, Xochimilco, Olympic Stadium, etc, are simply must visits from my end. Sao Paulo is a place I want to get to eventually to, and it is a must visit for me eventually too simply due to its status arguably as the Alpha Dog of all of Latin America, but there's not necessarily anything specific about it other than that which makes it stand out as a "must visit" to me.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 AM

29,750 posts, read 18,615,199 times
I voted MC because I love the climate there and I believe it's safer than Sao Paulo.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I voted MC because I love the climate there and I believe it's safer than Sao Paulo.
I don't know about crime rates in Mexico City, but I have to tell you that São Paulo is one of the safest major cities in Latin America.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:50 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,085,271 times
Very close battle. I imagine that from a tourist point of view Mexico City is probably better. Better historical core and more distinctive food scene. Urbanity, safety, size etc is probably equal between the two with SP having more mid rises. Mexico City seems to have a bigger subway/ metro system and traffic seems a little worse in MC than SP which was surprising. I have more of an affinity for Brazil than Mexico so SP would win for me.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:14 PM

801 posts, read 1,504,012 times
Mexico City, though Sao Paulo seems great and I hope to visit soon.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 AM

421 posts, read 455,373 times
Which of these 2 cities offers a car free lifestyle (i.e. denser and more walkable neighborhoods)?

My understanding is that São Paulo has a higher population density, but Mexico City has a larger subway system.

So which of these 2 cities would one be able to go about accomplishing most errands or commute to work without a car?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,229,658 times
Sao Paulo all day......Sao Paulo definitely is more walkable. Spent a lotta time in the Lapa area.

You can move around Sao Paulo pretty good without a car; though Mexico city probably has the edge in metro transit. I personally like the feel of Brazil more than Mexico so I am a LITTLE biased. Im a city dude....and Sao Paulo just offers more trappings akin to the American cities I grew up in witjout being overwhelmingly American. The pretentiousness is evident in both places. I do like the more urban Hip Hop scene in Sao Paulo.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,229,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Kidnappings in Mexico City were a PROBLEM......its more Central State now.

Sao Paulo, robbings are common, and if you are super flashy you could be kidnapped. But the majority of the issues deal with street life and unfortunately the Favelas. Not all Favelas or the favelados that live there are bad, but the main issues I noticed when there were local to those communidades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas